Tuesday, December 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

billiej wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:.why don't we take FULL BLASTED NAME OF THE CATEGORY".
", please" You know, to add yet another second for each clue.
If that wasn't bad enough, the middle lady calls a clue from the last remaining category, giving just the dollar amount (Tumbs Up) and Alex just stands there like a bump on a pickle.... so she decides he isn't going to read the clue until she gives the category.
Uggghhh.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dudd wrote:Suriname was one of the answers to the Roger Craig back to back true DDs during his ToC, so FJ was an instaget for me.
Yup, that's why I got it tonight.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yes I read up on Suriname after Craig's stupefying TDD on "country where official lang = Dutch but most ppl speak Sranan Tongo", so this came right to mind as former Dutch colony with Guilders. Gave the response; then wiki review confirmed the date in 2004: what was perhaps confusing is they don't use the US dollar, but a Surinamese Dollar (SRD), so bit of negbait there.

A solid game for goatman with 40 correct responses and FJ. I feel I'm getting closer to game-ready, still not at the instant recall level I know one must have but took a lot of lach trash, including:
Adrenal gland, Betelgeuse (Bellatrix, Rigel, Alnitak, Alnilam, Mintaka and Saiph are the others in Orion, and NO that is not from wiki, thanks I memorized these b/c they keep coming up!); Tip O'Neill (I didn't forget!) Andrew Jackson (founder, Democratic party); Wankel rotary engine (they came in Mazdas, those sporty little RX-7s in the 80s, pretty smooth and loads of torque, IDK why these never caught on); Automatic answering machine (1935), The Quiet Man and Cutex nail polish (surprising TS; if you realize that the root word for 'cuticle' -> Cutex,...)

Other interesting gets: Instaget Jeb Bush (he had not declared intent to run for Prez at taping so perhaps this is a 'fortuitous' coincidence); Alberta/puberty/Robert's Rules of Order
Ernies' 'rubber ducky' lol; Libertarian party; long time no see the Nancy toon; clam on "flibbertygibbet"

Health cat: Gastrocnemius is the big muscle that attaches to your heel on Achilles' tendon, hence "calf"; Septum = the divide between R/L nares, hence, 'fence' (Latin root); "Adrenal" literally means to the renals, thus, "on kidney"; biceps flexor; triceps extensor in arm (in leg its' hamstring/quadriceps); and gosh is that yet another Iris clue (TMO refers to ciliary muscles, not named).

Again with Volvo is made in Sweden. Does Alex drive one? I have one I suffered with mine for ten years, never buy another. No repair <$2000, to price the parts triple fair # and add $500, sigh.

I agree that fellow saying Nitrogen for Nickel was in error but by the rules he self-corrected before AT ruled against him so "no harm, no foul." NE (Nebraska) for Neon has been asked and answered. Clam on Molybdenum for Spike Lee "Mo" Better Places. And no hope for "Will I Am" = Iodine and Americium, lol.

Instagets: Elephant man (John Merrick); THe Quiet Man (John Wayne goes to Ireland with Maureen O'Hara) ; Lon Chaney = The Wolfman (lol was watching a bad remake, The Ghost of Frankenstein in which he plays the monster too); The Other Boleyn Girl (Phillippa Gregory, copy on my desk here, adapted twice to film); windshield wiper, invented 1903 by Mary Anderson, Isle of Elba in Tyrrhenian Sea (near the Golfo de Spezia where Shelley drowned; I have twice driven my cursed Volvo on the car ferry there for camping out, gorgeous beaches!); Helium = "He", first pronoun element name. Clam on The Running Man (1987, Arnold). No hope for serendipitous or propitious->auspicious, bewildering clues, terrible TMO IMHO. NHO Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. As Rook noted; "We learn one every day on J!" Lol. She is sweet but quite a 'flibbertygibbet,' please call the clues out timely and clear the boards, dearie!!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

I always think it's a meh game when I sit and yell at the couch at blatantly awful triple-stumpers like Tip O'Neill. Ugh.

FJ was an Instaget, unlike yesterday... *blush*
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Full size portrait of Nancy; a triple stumper? I feel old.

I can't recall the answer, but that old slang term for a talkative lady has gotta poll less than 5%, or I should say NHO > 95%

I'll forgive Alysha's FJ wagers ending in $12 as long as she keeps having lock games.
Today's game was just a scrimmage for her.

I hope what Alex did with Jean's frog doesn't start a trend of contestants bringing stuffed animal good luck charms onto the stage.
Last edited by Category 13 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

goatman wrote:Yes I read up on Suriname after Craig's stupefying TDD on "country where official lang = Dutch but most ppl speak Sranan Tongo", so this came right to mind as former Dutch colony with Guilders. Gave the response; then wiki review confirmed the date in 2004: what was perhaps confusing is they don't use the US dollar, but a Surinamese Dollar (SRD), so bit of negbait there.

A solid game for goatman with 40 correct responses and FJ. I feel I'm getting closer to game-ready, still not at the instant recall level I know one must have but took a lot of lach trash, including:
Adrenal gland, Betelgeuse (Bellatrix, Rigel, Alnitak, Alnilam, Mintaka and Saiph are the others in Orion, and NO that is not from wiki, thanks I memorized these b/c they keep coming up!); Tip O'Neill (I didn't forget!) Andrew Jackson (founder, Democratic party); Wankel rotary engine (they came in Mazdas, those sporty little RX-7s in the 80s, pretty smooth and loads of torque, IDK why these never caught on); Automatic answering machine (1935), The Quiet Man and Cutex nail polish (surprising TS; if you realize that the root word for 'cuticle' -> Cutex,...)

Other interesting gets: Instaget Jeb Bush (he had not declared intent to run for Prez at taping so perhaps this is a 'fortuitous' coincidence); Alberta/puberty/Robert's Rules of Order
Ernies' 'rubber ducky' lol; Libertarian party; long time no see the Nancy toon; clam on "flibbertygibbet"

Health cat: Gastrocnemius is the big muscle that attaches to your heel on Achilles' tendon, hence "calf"; Septum = the divide between R/L nares, hence, 'fence' (Latin root); "Adrenal" literally means to the renals, thus, "on kidney"; biceps flexor; triceps extensor in arm (in leg its' hamstring/quadriceps); and gosh is that yet another Iris clue (TMO refers to ciliary muscles, not named).

Again with Volvo is made in Sweden. Does Alex drive one? I have one I suffered with mine for ten years, never buy another. No repair <$2000, to price the parts triple fair # and add $500, sigh.

I agree that fellow saying Nitrogen for Nickel was in error but by the rules he self-corrected before AT ruled against him so "no harm, no foul." NE (Nebraska) for Neon has been asked and answered. Clam on Molybdenum for Spike Lee "Mo" Better Places. And no hope for "Will I Am" = Iodine and Americium, lol.

Instagets: Elephant man (John Merrick); THe Quiet Man (John Wayne goes to Ireland with Maureen O'Hara) ; Lon Chaney = The Wolfman (lol was watching a bad remake, The Ghost of Frankenstein in which he plays the monster too); The Other Boleyn Girl (Phillippa Gregory, copy on my desk here, adapted twice to film); windshield wiper, invented 1903 by Mary Anderson, Isle of Elba in Tyrrhenian Sea (near the Golfo de Spezia where Shelley drowned; I have twice driven my cursed Volvo on the car ferry there for camping out, gorgeous beaches!); Helium = "He", first pronoun element name. Clam on The Running Man (1987, Arnold). No hope for serendipitous or propitious->auspicious, bewildering clues, terrible TMO IMHO. NHO Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. As Rook noted; "We learn one every day on J!" Lol. She is sweet but quite a 'flibbertygibbet,' please call the clues out timely and clear the boards, dearie!!
I, for one, goatman, appreciate your recaps, even though they be a tad self-indulgent. The humor -- and the useful info -- more than make up. And, you, sir, are game ready.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I must be old. I had a nice chat at a fundraiser with Speaker O'Neill and his wife one night long ago.

Oh, and The Streak is finally dead. Thank goodness.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Bumma. My mind went right to the Caribbean but I couldn't light on Suriname. Then another former Dutch colony distracted me and I guessed East Timor. Well, they do use the U.S. dollar since 2002, but I guess Indonesia wasn't using the guilder at the time.

In general I find myself a Rooks fan. She may be a little chattier than ideal for the game, and with all the money she left on the board I doubt she'll win many more games, but she seems really likeable and it would be hella fun having her as a pub trivia teammate.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
JJessen

Post by JJessen »

I felt pretty proud of myself for getting Final correct, but I did about as well as the contestants did on the "Movie Men" category.

Also, I'm afraid that I missed Rooks' first episode, but I discovered pretty quickly that I really like her. It doesn't hurt anyone to have contestants with a little (or a lot) of personality! (And as far as the time thing foes, I kind of think that the Triple Stumpers took up a lot more time than the occasional asides did.)

I did think it was interesting that she uses her last name instead of her first one. Have there ever been other contestants that have done that?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

goatman wrote:Clam on The Running Man (1987, Arnold).
That was an insta-get for me.
When they revealed I'll Be "Back" category on Monday's game, I momentarilly pre-called a clue about that movie, in which Arnold reprised his classic catch phrase.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote:I can't recall the answer, but that old slang term for a talkative lady has gotta poll less than 5%, or I should say NHO > 95%
Heard of it? Yes. Come up with or spell it? Nope.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JJessen wrote: I did think it was interesting that she uses her last name instead of her first one. Have there ever been other contestants that have done that?
A little advice to a newbie ... read the thread before commenting. This was covered several times.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Was it 8 TSs in a row? I did pretty well in that game except for the entire Elements category. Suriname was an instaget. The chattiness is annoying but at least she knows some answers.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is there some way that I can make my brain stop Sporcling itself so much? I don't even PLAY Sporcle and I still think of everything but the obvious.

I looked at the thread on the Belize/Costa Rica game and realized that my brain also blanked on what show Robert Guiallume would've played Benson on, and what country Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman got married in.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

By the way, no "y" in flibbertigibbet.

I'm old enough to easily recognize Nancy's portrait yet too old to remember her name. I sat and stared.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Cyrano wrote:Ok this is driving me insane but what was the the question to the $600 clue in Where Is It?
Where is Yankee Stadium?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote:
JJessen wrote: I did think it was interesting that she uses her last name instead of her first one. Have there ever been other contestants that have done that?
A little advice to a newbie ... read the thread before commenting. This was covered several times.
Let's test your sense of humor: She may be a newbie, but at least she won a game on J! [Ducks] http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9494 The last name comments are in the Monday thread.

Sometimes we talk about numbers needed to pass the test or do well on the show. Tonight's combined Coryat was $17,200. This was a good night when your Coryat should have exceeded the Combined Coryat. Even Alex knew Cutex = nail polish. I had to open the trapdoor when no one knew Running Man. Rooks made me laugh again with her ad lib after THE MOVIE MAN category, "Everyday's a school day."

I'll betray my ignorance: Is there a significance to wearing a large razor blade necklace as Rooks seemed to have on tonight? If she had it last night I never noticed.

Arthur: Now was the time for Tip O'Neill. (Rooks: "I may not have been alive." :lol: )

I will poll Outlander. The books have been popular and the series is putting it on the radar for more people. For sure it will come up again on J! What you might want to know for starters: (making the post shorter, mild plot spoilers)
Spoiler
Diana Gabaldon - author
Claire - nurse
Jamie - warrior
1945 transported to 1743 Scotland
Claire is married in present day and past
You have missed 8 episodes on Starz with the next 8 starting in April. Good time to get caught up.

Another DD unplayed and once again the result would not have changed.

Thank you writers for not making the clue in SOUTH AMERICA (Bud - you did recall the category?) not a map one. Guilder = Netherlands = Dutch = Suriname. Done.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote:
Category 13 wrote:I can't recall the answer, but that old slang term for a talkative lady has gotta poll less than 5%, or I should say NHO > 95%
I didn't get it, but I mainly know it from "How do you solve a problem like Maria?".
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
Given the definition, I wouldn't have gotten it...the definition AND "bert," it came pretty fast. (Though I wasn't sure if it's a hard or soft g...)

Tip O'Neill has been dead for 20 years, out of power for 27...quickly forgetting was probably not the problem.
I admit I wouldn't recognize Sam Rayburn if given a photograph.
Not recognizing Nancy though...unforgivable!... ;)
Last edited by davey on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BADuBois wrote:I always think it's a meh game when I sit and yell at the couch at blatantly awful triple-stumpers like Tip O'Neill. Ugh.

FJ was an Instaget, unlike yesterday... *blush*
Nope, I wasn't alive when Tip O'Neill was a regular feature on the news either. :mrgreen:

Instantly wrote down Ecuador, realized before Alex stopped reading, "Wait, guilder? For Ecuador?! What's that little thing in the Northeast... Suriname!"
Glad I made the change.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)