Tuesday, December 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Category 13 wrote:Full size portrait of Nancy; a triple stumper? I feel old.

I can't recall the answer, but that old slang term for a talkative lady has gotta poll less than 5%, or I should say NHO > 95%
Ditto that. Ernie Bushmiller's comic strip "Nancy" was iconic in my childhood and extremely dated and stale by my college years. Seeing no one among three J! contestants have a clue on it made me feel old as well.

Not to mention seeing Tip O'Neill's picture go unrecognized. For cripes sake he was second in line of succession for the presidency during the Reagan years.

I also got Lach Trash for adrenals, Orion, The Quiet Man (daddy, who was John Wayne? OK time to go shoot myself), serendipitous, and the Wankel engine.

But by far, the "Boy, am I old!" moment of the season for me came on the one that was not only a TS for the contestants, but is being touted above as a 5%-er among boardies. The talkative woman---the Flibbertygibbet (or however it's spelled) was an Instaget for me because that was the name of one of the minor characters on the Old, Old, Old Howdy Doody show. I have to wonder if ANYONE else here got that, and for that reason. Just curious....

Rooks looks pretty strong, but she did utter the one thing no serious trivia person EVER says. On the Tip O'Neill clue, "I may not have been alive then." As they say, you weren't alive during the Revolutionary War either, but you're supposed to know something about it. Nonetheless she knew enough to score two very nice wins, and the sole get FJ was good too. I knew from a variety of sources about Suriname (the former Dutch Guiana) so that was an Instaget for me.

I look forward to seeing what else she can come up with in game 3.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

fritzk3 wrote:On the Element clue about a noble gas with a symbol that's the postal abbreviation for a Midwest state, does anyone think Argon / Ar / Arkansas would have been accepted? I was wondering that as I watched.
I also said Argon/Arkansas. But I honestly don't know if that's the correct postal code, or whether Arkansas would be considered Midwestern.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

davey wrote:Not recognizing Nancy though...unforgivable!...
Heck, I would have gotten "Nancy" on the verbage alone. Ernie Bushmiller as TOM was sufficient. Although I admit that is getting a bit deep into trivia for the average age contestant.
davey

Re: Ain't it Ghoul News?

Post by davey »

mrsal67 wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
harrumph wrote:I assumed on the Lon Chaney clue that they meant Lon Chaney Sr as he is the more prominent actor.
You shouldn't have to assume. Both men were movie stars (father considerably moreso than son), and the types of films they made certainly overlapped. The elder Chaney even appeared in a 1920 short called "The Miracle Man" that satisfied one of the clue's requirements, and he was never billed as "Lon Chaney, sr" (in part because Junior's real given name was Creighton, and also because Chaney didn't want his son to be an actor).

Any reference to Lon Chaney is about the father, and the writers had an obligation to make the distinction.

Sloppy stuff.
Lon Chaney Jr is the one famous for playing The Wolf Man. I don't know if senior ever played this character among his many horror roles. If both played the role, then they should have said both senior and junior.
Because the clue didn't specify which one, I clammed. Agree it was very sloppy writing.

"The Miracle Man" was actually an 8-reel silent of which only fragments survive, so it would be pretty remarkable if that came to even a film buff before "The Wolf Man." Yes, the son was billed as "Jr.," but this was such an easy trigger I didn't even notice it was missing.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

John Boy wrote:
Rooks looks pretty strong, but she did utter the one thing no serious trivia person EVER says. On the Tip O'Neill clue, "I may not have been alive then." As they say, you weren't alive during the Revolutionary War either, but you're supposed to know something about it.
I agree that one should never say that, but one may know something about the Revolutionary war, but not be able to recognize a picture of Benedict Arnold.

There was a triple stumper on a Sadat/Begin clue a few weeks ago that also had a photo. I don't remember the verbiage of either clue, but for those of us old enough to remember, I think the pictures made these clues super easy. My takeaway is that when contestants study, they focus on memorizing facts, dates, etc., but don't spend a lot of time looking at photos. If I were to study photos, I'd probably start with the US Presidents, then go into current leaders and celebrities.
Sheepin' it real.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote:
fritzk3 wrote:On the Element clue about a noble gas with a symbol that's the postal abbreviation for a Midwest state, does anyone think Argon / Ar / Arkansas would have been accepted? I was wondering that as I watched.
I also said Argon/Arkansas. But I honestly don't know if that's the correct postal code, or whether Arkansas would be considered Midwestern.
Arkansas is AR, but per the US Census Bureau it's a Southeastern state, not Midwestern.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Re: Suriname.

Been there. Not recommended.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Got as far as "those three tiny countries atop Brazil that I can never remember the names of… Guiana, French Guiana, and… crap, what's the other one?" Reminds me of this FJ!, where the only Central American countries I couldn't spit out in 30 seconds were the two right ones.
FYI (I don't think anyone else pointed this out yet) French Guiana is not the name of a country. It's part of France.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote:Rooks looks pretty strong, but she did utter the one thing no serious trivia person EVER says. On the Tip O'Neill clue, "I may not have been alive then." As they say, you weren't alive during the Revolutionary War either, but you're supposed to know something about it.
Her remark was not in itself a comment on not knowing it, but a response to Alex's "how soon we forget" he likes to trot out, which implies awareness at the time the response was current. (He wouldn't say that about a Revolutionary War TS.) Given the post-O'Neill kids start turning 28 next month, Alex has an increasing crowd of contestants to whom "how soon we forget" doesn't apply when Tip O'Neill is a TS. I believe Rooks's remark was made to point that out, not to excuse her ignorance of the fact.

I got it only because the picture quality seemed to place it in the right era.

Not only did I know Nancy, but I could have named Ernie Bushmiller. I'm glad the category prevented Guy Gilchrist's terrible version of the strip, currently running, from getting featured.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

seaborgium wrote:Not only did I know Nancy, but I could have named Ernie Bushmiller.
Likewise.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Budphrey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Bumma. My mind went right to the Caribbean but I couldn't light on Suriname. Then another former Dutch colony distracted me and I guessed East Timor. Well, they do use the U.S. dollar since 2002, but I guess Indonesia wasn't using the guilder at the time.
East Timor's not really a former Dutch colony - it went from being a Portuguese colony to being independent for a week, to being part of Indonesia to being independent again. True Indonesia itself is a former Dutch colony, but the Dutch never ruled that part of the archipelago. That's like saying Alaska is a former English colony because the country that it is part of was formerly run by the English.
Right, but the operative part of my guess is whether Indonesia itself was still using the guilder at the time East Timor got independence. That was where my ignorance lay (well, that and missing the year in the clue by two years); whether East Timor was ever ruled by the Dutch was beside the point. I still think that as wrong guesses go, it's not a bad one.
The category for Final Jeopardy was South America.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Finally saw the first half of J! 0/5 in Politicians, but a little more confidence would've gotten me the first two ("brother" should've been enough to lead me to Jeb Bush despite having no idea whe he looks like, but I second-guessed myself).

Ran "Ernie", with the Lach Trash on Nancy. I remember Bill Amend mentioning both Nancy and Ernie Bushmiller in the intro to an early FoxTrot book.

I've heard of the word "flibbertigibbet" but had no idea what it meant.

ETA: Why are the servers being cranky right now?
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

I have heard the word "flibbertigibbet" in the movie The Sound of Music, it is in that song where they sing about Maria:

How do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
How do you find a word that means Maria?
A flibbertigibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote:
John Boy wrote:Rooks looks pretty strong, but she did utter the one thing no serious trivia person EVER says. On the Tip O'Neill clue, "I may not have been alive then." As they say, you weren't alive during the Revolutionary War either, but you're supposed to know something about it.
Her remark was not in itself a comment on not knowing it, but a response to Alex's "how soon we forget" he likes to trot out, which implies awareness at the time the response was current. (He wouldn't say that about a Revolutionary War TS.) Given the post-O'Neill kids start turning 28 next month, Alex has an increasing crowd of contestants to whom "how soon we forget" doesn't apply when Tip O'Neill is a TS. I believe Rooks's remark was made to point that out, not to excuse her ignorance of the fact.

I got it only because the picture quality seemed to place it in the right era.
Concurrence. If you had given me a question that boiled down to, "Speaker of the House during the Reagan era", yeah, that's easy. But going, "Who's this?" and giving a photo? No, not happening. With the (biggest) exception of Heads of State, political figures who left the public eye before you were cognizant of your surroundings more than likely won't be recognizable on a photo alone.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: I will poll Outlander. The books have been popular and the series is putting it on the radar for more people.
I'll be in the WTF? category on that one. Never heard of it. What's the genre? Sci-fi? I might need to check it out.
Not sci-fi. More like historical romance with a fantasy twist. A post-WWII Englishwoman falls back through time to the 1740s Scottish Highlands, where she discovers romance and adventure and her twentieth-century husband's sadistic ancestor -- all while trying to find her way back to her own time. I'm guessing she doesn't have much success with the return thing since Gabaldon is now on the eighth novel.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Right, but the operative part of my guess is whether Indonesia itself was still using the guilder at the time East Timor got independence. That was where my ignorance lay (well, that and missing the year in the clue by two years); whether East Timor was ever ruled by the Dutch was beside the point. I still think that as wrong guesses go, it's not a bad one.
Well, there is the minor issue that East Timor is not in South America...
Ah, the category. Never mind then ...
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I first remember hearing the word flibbertigibbet in the movie Joe vs the Volcano. One of Meg Ryan's characters uses it to refer to one of her other characters. I think. Odd movie, I only saw it the one time decades ago. I've seen The Sound of Music oodles of times but never noticed the word there. Strange.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

debramc wrote:I first remember hearing the word flibbertigibbet in the movie Joe vs the Volcano. One of Meg Ryan's characters uses it to refer to one of her other characters. I think. Odd movie, I only saw it the one time decades ago. I've seen The Sound of Music oodles of times but never noticed the word there. Strange.
On Sunday the 22nd ABC is airing The Sound of Music (Andrews version) in a sing along version to give you a chance to see the word.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have heard that word before, but no way was I going to pull it out.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

:mrgreen:

Managed to pull this one out of somewhere.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca