UPDATE: Final call for new trivia game show

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

UPDATE: Final call for new trivia game show

Post by RandyG »

Mark Burnett's production company (Shark Tank, The Apprentice, Survivor) is looking for contestants for a game show that has already been picked up by ABC. An insider described the show to me as "Jeopardy! on steroids." The flyer below has the details:
Spoiler
Last edited by RandyG on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: New trivia game show is looking for contestants

Post by dhkendall »

RandyG wrote:Mark Burnett's production company (Shark Tank, The Apprentice, Survivor) is looking for contestants for a game show that has already been picked up by ABC. An insider described the show to me as "Jeopardy! on steroids." The flyer below has the details:
Spoiler
Great, people who are smart and like to lord it over people. No thanks. This is what I like about Jeopardy!, the humbleness of contestants (despite mean-spirited comments to the contrary, I can't think of any contestant off the top of my head that describes themself as "smart and they know it".) Heck, this is what I liked about the end of Million Second Quiz, the producers most likely sitting there like Emperor Palpatine, wanting to have Brandon and Andy viciously duke it out, but Brandon keeps encouraging Andy on and was his biggest fan.

Sit on it, Mark Burnett, I'd rather watch geniuses who are humble and self-effacing rather than someone who knows their "IQ is off the charts, [is] a superior scholar [and] a brilliant intellectual" and can say why they are "one of the smartest people in America". I'm sure some down-to-earth J! and other trivia folk will apply, but knowing Mark Burnett's track record, I don't think the down-to-earth will get in.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cutlaaah
Valued Contributor

Post by cutlaaah »

I cannot think of a Jeopardy contestant who had even half as bad a poker face upon losing as Brandon's in MSQ.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Mark Burnett? Include me out.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

There are so many Jeopardy contestants who know they are smart and are quite competitive. The show does a good job of making everybody look pretty nice and of course many of them are really respectful, but let's not overstate.

Anyway, I want a chance at a bunch of money so I am applying.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

dhkendall wrote:Great, people who are smart and like to lord it over people. No thanks. This is what I like about Jeopardy!, the humbleness of contestants (despite mean-spirited comments to the contrary, I can't think of any contestant off the top of my head that describes themself as "smart and they know it".) Heck, this is what I liked about the end of Million Second Quiz, the producers most likely sitting there like Emperor Palpatine, wanting to have Brandon and Andy viciously duke it out, but Brandon keeps encouraging Andy on and was his biggest fan.

Sit on it, Mark Burnett, I'd rather watch geniuses who are humble and self-effacing rather than someone who knows their "IQ is off the charts, [is] a superior scholar [and] a brilliant intellectual" and can say why they are "one of the smartest people in America". I'm sure some down-to-earth J! and other trivia folk will apply, but knowing Mark Burnett's track record, I don't think the down-to-earth will get in.
Just because the ad is, perhaps, obnoxious, doesn't mean the contestants will be. Then again, the producers can probably make anyone come off anyway they want on tv, and if they decide "lording it over people" makes for better tv, then that's what we're gonna get.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
RandyG wrote:Mark Burnett's production company (Shark Tank, The Apprentice, Survivor) is looking for contestants for a game show that has already been picked up by ABC. An insider described the show to me as "Jeopardy! on steroids." The flyer below has the details:
Spoiler
Great, people who are smart and like to lord it over people. No thanks. This is what I like about Jeopardy!, the humbleness of contestants (despite mean-spirited comments to the contrary, I can't think of any contestant off the top of my head that describes themself as "smart and they know it".) Heck, this is what I liked about the end of Million Second Quiz, the producers most likely sitting there like Emperor Palpatine, wanting to have Brandon and Andy viciously duke it out, but Brandon keeps encouraging Andy on and was his biggest fan.

It sounds like it is right up Arthur Chu's alley.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Caboom wrote: Just because the ad is, perhaps, obnoxious, doesn't mean the contestants will be. Then again, the producers can probably make anyone come off anyway they want on tv, and if they decide "lording it over people" makes for better tv, then that's what we're gonna get.
You know, the few times I've seen myself on TV I've been known to come off as a bit of a smug smartass, even though that's not the place I think I'm coming from. Maybe it's time to play that to advantage ... (chuckles quietly to self, unconsciously rubs hands together)
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

The casting people are back from break today, so I figured this could use a bump.

They'll still be looking for contestants on an ongoing rolling basis AFAIK, so if you're interested, send your info to the email listed on the flyer in the first post. If you should be asked, it's OK to mention my name (Randy Gold) and that you saw this on JBoard.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I applied and got a call from them, it's a legit show. They give a 20 question test over the phone that the better boardies here could definitely pass (I didn't). I recommend applying to anyone with good knowledge who's been swimming in the Jeopardy pool for too long.
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

Hmm. I'm in the Jeopardy pool, but there's no way I'd try out for a trivia "reality show." I know several people who (much to their own regret) work on reality shows in varying capacities. They *loathe* their jobs. Please know if you choose to do a reality show that no matter how decent you are, however much integrity you have, however pleasant and genuine you may be, the show will turn you into a "character" for the sake of "good television." With devious editing (including "Frankenbites" which will actually put words in your mouth), they will edit your footage into a strange collage of words, expressions, and gestures, until you do not recognize the person they create. Now, you might say, "Who cares as long as I win some money?" but these shows can actually destroy lives -- and because of the releases you sign, you have little recourse. They can make you look pretentious, arrogant, stupid, bigoted -- anything that will manipulate the audience's sympathies and make for a good "story." Be careful.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

worldwidewebster wrote:Hmm. I'm in the Jeopardy pool, but there's no way I'd try out for a trivia "reality show." I know several people who (much to their own regret) work on reality shows in varying capacities. They *loathe* their jobs. Please know if you choose to do a reality show that no matter how decent you are, however much integrity you have, however pleasant and genuine you may be, the show will turn you into a "character" for the sake of "good television." With devious editing (including "Frankenbites" which will actually put words in your mouth), they will edit your footage into a strange collage of words, expressions, and gestures, until you do not recognize the person they create. Now, you might say, "Who cares as long as I win some money?" but these shows can actually destroy lives -- and because of the releases you sign, you have little recourse. They can make you look pretentious, arrogant, stupid, bigoted -- anything that will manipulate the audience's sympathies and make for a good "story." Be careful.
In other words, they'll turn you into Arthur Chu. :) :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

worldwidewebster wrote:Hmm. I'm in the Jeopardy pool, but there's no way I'd try out for a trivia "reality show." I know several people who (much to their own regret) work on reality shows in varying capacities. They *loathe* their jobs. Please know if you choose to do a reality show that no matter how decent you are, however much integrity you have, however pleasant and genuine you may be, the show will turn you into a "character" for the sake of "good television." With devious editing (including "Frankenbites" which will actually put words in your mouth), they will edit your footage into a strange collage of words, expressions, and gestures, until you do not recognize the person they create. Now, you might say, "Who cares as long as I win some money?" but these shows can actually destroy lives -- and because of the releases you sign, you have little recourse. They can make you look pretentious, arrogant, stupid, bigoted -- anything that will manipulate the audience's sympathies and make for a good "story." Be careful.
Everyone is different, but I don't think it would matter at all. I figure there are about 6 or 7 people on the planet that I am truly concerned about how they feel about me, and those people know me really well. If some viewer in Idaho thinks I'm arrogant, shy, mean or racist because of the way I was presented on TV. I'd be more than willing to say I acted that way because they wanted me to, even if I wasn't acting that way and they clipped it just right. I think the general public is smart enough to understand that reality TV is about as far away from reality as you get. If I were able to get $100 or $1,000,000, even better.

I think the experience of being a Burnett show, or Jeopardy, would be pretty wild. It really isn't that much about the money anyway.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Sherm wrote:I think the general public is smart enough to understand that reality TV is about as far away from reality as you get.
Before that line, I was only slightly disagreeing with you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

Shows like "Survivor," "Shark Tank", and "Celebrity Apprentice" are built on creating conflict and encouraging discord and backstabbing among the contestants. I can't imagine a Mark Burnett show without somebody--a host or another contestant--shooting people down. "You really think you can make money with this thing? You're nuts." Or "OK, once famous spokesduck for AFLEC, your project was pathetic. You're fired." And all that talking to the camera about how lowdown and sneaky the other contestants are in your tribe.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the intention is to take the people who believe themselves to be the smartest people in America down a peg or two on national television.

What I loved about my time on Jeopardy was the camaraderie among the contestants. They were all really nice people, we had a lot in common and we enjoyed each other's company.

I've always felt that Jeopardy is a civilized game about friendly competition. Which is why I believe Alex has the contestants stand together and chat after the game.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I wouldn't assume that the show is similar to Survivor and other reality shows, it seems to be based upon answering trivia questions. They want high caliber contestants and there are cash prizes. When they called me the conversation/interview was really small talk, they really just want people who can pass their test, which is akin to the online Jeopardy test. If you contact them there's a good chance that they will get back to you. I told the producer that there's tons of people on Jboard with high level knowledge, and he was interested in that.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Judy5cents wrote:Shows like ... "Shark Tank" ... are built on creating conflict and encouraging discord and backstabbing among the contestants.
You must be thinking of a different show (Big Brother? Bachelor Pad?). There's no competition between "contestants" on Shark Tank, because there's no limit to the pool of shark money. There's also no interaction between the entrepreneurs. The sharks do sometimes try to cut down the presenters, but that can be just a negotiating tactic. Kevin will spend 10 minutes telling someone how awful they are before making them an offer.

Shark Tank has slowly become must-see viewing for me each week.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

bpmod wrote:
Sherm wrote:I think the general public is smart enough to understand that reality TV is about as far away from reality as you get.

Brian
I think you underestimate your fellow man, or I overestimate him. :)

I did a second round skype with these guys the other night. The 20 question on the first phone call where items most on this board would nail. The 50 I had the other night, were harder than any jeopardy test I've taken.
Last edited by Sherm on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sherm wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Sorry, Sherm, I think you're the bad estimator on this one.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

alietr wrote:
Sherm wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Sorry, Sherm, I think you're the bad estimator on this one.
Man, you guys are bummin' me out. You do understand what you are saying about the general population, and its not nice.