UPDATE: Final call for new trivia game show

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: UPDATE: Final call for new trivia game show

Post by Austin Powers »

I think they started with the whole "best of the best" thing but then changed their mind. They'll have to ease up on the questions if that's the case.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

one-nil 2.0 wrote:zOMG. They needed "hundreds" of contestants and only "the best of the best". Can't wait to see this cavalcade of quiz-show stars (so-called) they will be trotting out there. Maybe Chas. Van Doren, Johnnie Carpenter, Dev Patel as Jamal Malik etc. Hoo-boy. Pass the popcorn.
You should probably watch this show.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
RandyG wrote:What I've gotten from casting and production contacts is that casting is wrapping up, with the final decisions now in the hands of the production staff, and that decisions are still being made. They also started conducting show run-throughs.
If that's the case, I don't know how they're going to make their planned shooting schedule of March 9-13.
Have you heard those dates mentioned recently? Early on, March was the apparent target. But my impression from watching events for the last month or so was that there was little chance that they could meet those dates.

I was repeating what I was told by insiders as recently as Saturday. Being a local, I was invited to a run-through last week, but was out of town on the day that they wanted me to come (Tuesday) to the Burbank studio. Also, that the run-throughs would be continuing.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Lampy wrote:
one-nil 2.0 wrote:zOMG. They needed "hundreds" of contestants and only "the best of the best". Can't wait to see this cavalcade of quiz-show stars (so-called) they will be trotting out there. Maybe Chas. Van Doren, Johnnie Carpenter, Dev Patel as Jamal Malik etc. Hoo-boy. Pass the popcorn.
You mean John Carpenter *will* be a contestant? Oh, please, please, please let it be so!

Rex
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Lampy wrote:
You mean John Carpenter *will* be a contestant? Oh, please, please, please let it be so!

Rex
That's precisely what I meant! How exciting, right?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Lampy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Lampy wrote:

Rex
That's precisely what I meant! How exciting, right?
Well, he would certainly make good fodder, for discussion.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

This is all jokes at this point (I know nothing) but Carpenter's not that bad really. He did fine on Grand Slam, which I rewatched recently.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

RandyG wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:If that's the case, I don't know how they're going to make their planned shooting schedule of March 9-13.
Have you heard those dates mentioned recently? Early on, March was the apparent target. But my impression from watching events for the last month or so was that there was little chance that they could meet those dates.
The last time I heard those dates confirmed was on Feb 9, so my information may be out of date.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
RandyG wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:If that's the case, I don't know how they're going to make their planned shooting schedule of March 9-13.
The last time I heard those dates confirmed was on Feb 9, so my information may be out of date.
I guess we'll find out soon enough. :?
colonial
Contributor

Post by colonial »

Got a note from an FB friend of mine saying he was flown to LA to meet with the producers of the show, but learned last night he wasn't selected as a contestant.

So it sounds as if they are wrapping up casting as we speak. Wondering how many "out of towners" were flown in to meet with producers.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

colonial wrote:Got a note from an FB friend of mine saying he was flown to LA to meet with the producers of the show, but learned last night he wasn't selected as a contestant.

So it sounds as if they are wrapping up casting as we speak. Wondering how many "out of towners" were flown in to meet with producers.
About 50.

Several people that you've heard of will be on this show.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Austin Powers wrote:
colonial wrote:Got a note from an FB friend of mine saying he was flown to LA to meet with the producers of the show, but learned last night he wasn't selected as a contestant.

About 50.

Several people that you've heard of will be on this show.
Unless they aren't.
Storyteller
Contributor

Post by Storyteller »

Short-time lurker on this board. Thought I'd share a few details. But I don't want to say too much because I did sign an NDA, and I don't want to run afoul of its terms, which I only lazily read.

My impression from the production is that much is fluid. Rules of gameplay, selection of contestants, etc. Several goals with deadlines were either met at the deadline or were accomplished a little past the deadline. Run-thrus felt like they were testing the gameplay as much as the fitness of the potential contestants to be on TV.

The show is apparently going to tape soon, so I suspect they've settled on their set of contestants. I've been told that I will be one.

I'm pretty knowledgeable, but I don't think I'm on a, say, Ken Jennings level, or on the level of some people I've seen at a pub quiz. That being said, I usually compare favorably to the majority of J! contestants... at least in the comfort of my own home.

The working title of the show has been "500 Questions". So you probably can guess how many questions one would have to go through to win "big money".
Last edited by Storyteller on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storyteller
Contributor

Post by Storyteller »

Oh, and one more thing...

I get the impression that this show will be difficult. Without revealing anything about the gameplay, I will simply state that we all have gaps in our knowledge and that the way the game works those gaps are designed to be exploited.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Storyteller wrote:Short-time lurker on this board. Thought I'd share a few details. But I don't want to say too much because I did sign an NDA, and I don't want to run afoul of its terms, which I only lazily read.
Would it be safe to assume that someone who is trying to remain low key would not use the same alias on the J! Boards that he uses as a nom de jeu elsewhere?

Rex (never trying to remain low key)
Storyteller
Contributor

Post by Storyteller »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Short-time lurker on this board. Thought I'd share a few details. But I don't want to say too much because I did sign an NDA, and I don't want to run afoul of its terms, which I only lazily read.
Would it be safe to assume that someone who is trying to remain low key would not use the same alias on the J! Boards that he uses as a nom de jeu elsewhere?

I don't usually frequent boards, so I don't know to whom you refer, but I'm not he. Apologies to the other person whose username I apparently have duplicated on this board.
CheeseSteak

Post by CheeseSteak »

Storyteller wrote: My impression from the production is that much is fluid. Rules of gameplay, selection of contestants, etc.
Oh, that's a great sign at this stage of development...
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

Alas, I guess I should give up hope. Except for a video game question, and confusing St. Joseph's attributes with St. Anthony of Padua's I thought I did pretty well on the last Skype audition.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if two dozen folks, many of whom have appeared on Jeopardy, are concentrated in a single building this week.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Rex Kramer wrote:

Funny, he doesn't LOOK jeu-ish.....
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.