Wednesday, December 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mrsal67 »

Okay, I know we are all upset about the TS on FJ, but I am more upset about the bottom clue in weather (La Nina sorry I don't know how to do the tilde). They were asking for "little girl" in spanish. That alone makes it a top two rows clue.
Any info about the weather phenomenon itself makes it a 200 dollar clue.

Anyone else agree?
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

John Boy wrote:Kurt's wager was the one thing in this game I hoped for more than anything else, and expected less than anything else. He didn't make the oh-so-common mistake by trailing players, to bet all-in or nearly so, which is a fool's wager. Instead he recognized that his only hope was for Anne to miss FJ, and he wagered accordingly. He even took a very calculated risk NOT to cover Anne in the event she wagered $0, which I never would have done but who knows she might have. He took that risk so that he would stay ahead of Rooks even if Rooks went all-in and got it right.

All in all I think Kurt's wager was one of the best we've seen all season. I'm delighted it worked for him and hope he does well in future game(s).
I bet coming here before his taping was helpful to him. I know I corresponded with him via PM here and he said my "tips were helpful" when he came back from the taping, which has been driving me crazy for the last month to see how exactly he did. It always surprises me how many contestants go on the show without ever giving a thought to strategy, then come here after their game airs saying, "I wish I had known about this place before". Well, why didn't you?
mrsal67 wrote:Okay, I know we are all upset about the TS on FJ, but I am more upset about the bottom clue in weather (La Nina sorry I don't know how to do the tilde). They were asking for "little girl" in spanish. That alone makes it a top two rows clue.
Any info about the weather phenomenon itself makes it a 200 dollar clue.

Anyone else agree?
Maybe they thought that El Nino would be negbait?
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

John Boy wrote:
P.S. Anyone else think Anne looked kind of like a slenderer version of Amy Farrah Fowler from Big Bang Theory??
Be careful, lest you be accused of Nerd-shaming. ;)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

John Boy wrote: He even took a very calculated risk NOT to cover Anne in the event she wagered $0, which I never would have done but who knows she might have. He took that risk so that he would stay ahead of Rooks even if Rooks went all-in and got it right.
Once he made the choice to lock out third place, the possibility of Anne wagering zero becomes a moot point. There was no risk involved, except to assume he was going to get the correct response.
In other words, you don't get to make two different wagers (one for if you miss, one for if you get).

I do agree his final wager was a splendid one, whether he wins the game or not.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote:P.S. Anyone else think Anne looked kind of like a slenderer version of Amy Farrah Fowler from Big Bang Theory??
Yes. I mentioned that to my wife while we were watching.
Rafferty Barnes wrote:Maybe they thought that El Nino would be negbait?
I agree. I think more people would be familiar with El Nino as a weather phenomenon than La Nina. Nonetheless, it doesn't seem like a bottom row clue to me.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

John Boy wrote:
P.S. Anyone else think Anne looked kind of like a slenderer version of Amy Farrah Fowler from Big Bang Theory??
Ummm, if memory serves, Amy Farrah Fowler from Big Bang Theory is a slender version of Amy Farrah Fowler from Big Bang Theory.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Magnoliasims
Contributor

Post by Magnoliasims »

dhkendall wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Ummm, if memory serves, Amy Farrah Fowler from Big Bang Theory is a slender version of Amy Farrah Fowler from Big Bang Theory.

Anne could pass as a sister to Diane Levinson who appeared on Jeopardy! on March 20 and 21, 2014.
One of her episodes aired early last Sunday morning on New York City's WABC-TV.

How do I insert a photo?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Magnoliasims wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
John Boy wrote:

Anne could pass as a sister to Diane Levinson who appeared on Jeopardy! on March 20 and 21, 2014.

How do I insert a photo?
Just below the box where you post is another area. There is an 'upload attachment' tab there. Then just set the picture to be inline.
Magnoliasims
Contributor

Post by Magnoliasims »

alietr wrote:
Magnoliasims wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
John Boy wrote:

How do I insert a photo?
Just below the box where you post is another area. There is an 'upload attachment' tab there. Then just set the picture to be inline.
Thanks
Attachments
diane levinson.jpg
diane levinson.jpg (90.88 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BobF wrote:
dexterG wrote:Easy final jeopardy. What about yesterday, no one knowing who Tip O'Neil was. Rooks, "I wasn't born yet". DA
What is she 25? I think she was born.
Recognizing politicians by picture alone whose time in the limelight passed before you were cognizant is really really difficult if they're not a head of state or other exceptional exception. I know who Spiro Agnew is, but I sure couldn't pick him out of a lineup either. Like O'Neill, I only know them through articles which aren't exactly Little Golden Books where pictures are concerned. The only thing Agnew and O'Neill accomplished by the time I really started being aware of what was going on around me was die. Kinda limits their TV exposure...

On the flip side, IAWL is nothing but pictures and sound and it still gets regular airtime (unlike Tip O'Neill).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)