Wednesday, December 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

lorimendenhall wrote:Just saw Geena Davis won best supporting actress so that's why it's wrong, although could that still be seen as winning a "best actress" award?
The two had to have five total Oscars. Bette won twice and Geena had one. That is why the Davises are wrong.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

bpmod wrote:
trainman wrote:It'll eventually be filled in earlier in the thread, but for now...
If by "it'll eventually be", you mean "it's already been", then, yeah. I suspect that there will still be another one added to an even earlier post, in addition to the one that will be added later to the post before that.
I assure you, at the time I posted, neither the Archive transcription nor Jeff's post had been filled in with the FJ! clue.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

trainman wrote:
bpmod wrote:
trainman wrote:It'll eventually be filled in earlier in the thread, but for now...
If by "it'll eventually be", you mean "it's already been", then, yeah. I suspect that there will still be another one added to an even earlier post, in addition to the one that will be added later to the post before that.
I assure you, at the time I posted, neither the Archive transcription nor Jeff's post had been filled in with the FJ! clue.
No. I know. I alluded to those two being made later. However, Goatman's was there already. Granted, the wording was not 100% accurate.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
Category 13 wrote:"Who was Kennedy?"
Long pause..........."John F. Kennedy"
Alex, what other person named Kennedy has ever been on a U.S. 50 cent piece?
What other person named Johnson, or Smith, or Jackson, has been on a 50 cent piece? If any of those came out of her mouth, she'd be negged. Same as if she said Ted or Bobby Kennedy. He can't assume she knows the answer, game'd be less fun that way. Ted or Bobby could easily have been honoured (the previous 50-cent honouree wasn't a president, after all), BMS was warranted.
But they never BMS Cromwell when they answer for. Lord Protector.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILE

Post by seaborgium »

Okay, now they've asked for the two unrelated Best Actor winners that share a last name and the two unrelated Best Actresses who do too, but I bet they'll never ask for the mixed double of the unrelated Best Actor and Best Actress with the same surname.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Is it me, or did today's winner Brian Hamilton, look like Michael Scott?
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

Bamaman wrote:
lorimendenhall wrote:Just saw Geena Davis won best supporting actress so that's why it's wrong, although could that still be seen as winning a "best actress" award?
The two had to have five total Oscars. Bette won twice and Geena had one. That is why the Davises are wrong.
The Davises are also wrong because "best actress" doesn't include best supporting actress. Otherwise the clue would have been incorrect, as it stated the Hepburns are the only two best actress winners with the same last name.

I was also convinced it would be a triple get. With Becca's bad bet the end result is the same however.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Reindeer games 5/5 ( sang the sang to grandson )
Coin 5/5 ( I am a collector )
Awards 5/5
Play setting 5/5 (Surprised myself )
Words in 1st amendment 5/5
FJ-instantly.
As I said before to writers....Please stop using my strong categories. Save them for when I am on stage. Please.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Avishai should have been negged for saying calvary for cavalry. Calvary is where Jesus was crucified. A cavalry is a mounted army.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote:Avishai should have been negged for saying calvary for cavalry. Calvary is where Jesus was crucified. A cavalry is a mounted army.
At least they're consistent. I remember a contestant last year on Wheel getting away with this when the puzzle was "the cavalry to the rescue".
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote:Avishai should have been negged for saying calvary for cavalry. Calvary is where Jesus was crucified. A cavalry is a mounted army.
It's a little muddled-sounding, but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Posters can decide for themselves, at 2:10-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdlIw5LFh0
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:
It's a little muddled-sounding, but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Posters can decide for themselves, at 2:10-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdlIw5LFh0
Yeah, I'm good with it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

More of this? Really?...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cavalry
cav·al·ry
noun \ˈka-vəl-rē, ÷ˈkal-və-rē\
: the part of an army that in the past had soldiers who rode horses and that now has soldiers who ride in vehicles or helicopters

(The ÷ means that, while accepted, it might get you the side eye in an English lecture circuit. More details here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/pronguide.htm . And since TPTB err on the side of the contestants, the ÷ works.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILE

Post by seaborgium »

I'm okay with it too. Sarah of the Clue Crew has said "calvary" quite clearly when that wasn't the word.