Sports Jeopardy EP. 16 (1-7-15) [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy EP. 16 (1-7-15) [Spoilers]

Post by jeff6286 »

NHL Geography
These are the 2 Canadian provinces that both have more than one NHL team.

Spoiler
What are Ontario and Alberta?

DJ McCann: 8,500+8,500=17,000...wins $5,000
Steve Roeland: 8,250+3,000=11,250
Greg Berry: 2,500+2,500=5,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lampy

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 16 (1-7-14) [Spoilers]

Post by Lampy »

This FJ was very much a geography question since I think most Americans really can't match city to province terribly well.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Yep, I would say that Sports FJ was one of the easier ones. A hockey clue for those who are not into hockey.

Lach Trash: punter, Columbia (DD), Phil Mickelson
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
BobF

Post by BobF »

Ryno wrote:Yep, I would say that Sports FJ was one of the easier ones. A hockey clue for those who are not into hockey.

I love hockey, so this was an instaget. But I would imagine most who are not into hockey would likely choose Ontario and one of Quebec/BC (more likely Quebec) because they have larger populations than Alberta. Plus, Quebec used to have 2 teams.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
clprez

Post by clprez »

Can somebody tell me the last clue and answer for both rounds? I often see the ads at odd times, not at the end of the round, but usually when this happens, the rest of the round comes up after the ad. This time the ads came just as the last clue was being revealed, but when the ad was done, it went straight into the next round.

FJ was pretty easy. I got lach trash on poach and punter.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BobF wrote:
Ryno wrote:Yep, I would say that Sports FJ was one of the easier ones. A hockey clue for those who are not into hockey.

I love hockey, so this was an instaget. But I would imagine most who are not into hockey would likely choose Ontario and one of Quebec/BC (more likely Quebec) because they have larger populations than Alberta. Plus, Quebec used to have 2 teams.
I keep forgetting just how far north you have to go before Quebec starts... (QC/Alberta was my guess)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

BobF wrote:

I guess that I know at least a few basic things about hockey. My rule is when in doubt guess Getzky. ;)
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

ONe of the DD's didn't require a lot of sports knowledge, boiling it down to an Ivy League School just north of Princeton(COlumbia), with the contestant saying COlgate.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

clprez wrote:Can somebody tell me the last clue and answer for both rounds? I often see the ads at odd times, not at the end of the round, but usually when this happens, the rest of the round comes up after the ad. This time the ads came just as the last clue was being revealed, but when the ad was done, it went straight into the next round.

FJ was pretty easy. I got lach trash on poach and punter.
Sorry, I do not recall the last clue/response that ended the rounds and it's not like with regular J! that I can easily cue the DVR. I would suggest PMing one of the regular posters in these threads who has not posted yet and ask for them to make a note for you.

Looking at the J! round my recollection is Cycle Paths played last? Tour de France was in there, BMX....sorry, still blanking

For the DJ! round was it Sixth Man that ended play? Some Celtic that was not Parrish was in there. A European closed it out?

Short term recall...Obviously not good. :(

Like others I had the Mickelson stumper.

The scoreboard code of 1983; 54-52 had me guess right on the event and the winning and losing teams.

The FJ! clue was the easiest (at least for me) so far of the 16 eps. The correct response was instant and guaranteed to be right with zero chance for BC or QC.

DJ squeaked out the victory and I liked seeing the full 8500 and not 8001.
jeff6286

Re: Sports Jeopardy EP. 16 (1-7-15) [Spoilers]

Post by jeff6286 »

I fixed the year in the thread title. I cleverly copied the header from last week's game, and naturally it didn't occur to me to change the year. Thanks Mark.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Ack, another sports geography question this week? I missed this one, too, going with Ontario and BC.

Nice to see someone go all out on FJ.

LT on Mickelson.

Detlev Schrempf: I selected my German name in high school German class because of him.
Sheepin' it real.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Easy peasy FJ as a Canadian former hockey fan who used to live in Edmonton.

It just makes me so sad how easy they can make the soccer questions and still nobody gets them.

Bummed Greg got so many wrong, he's a real cutie pie.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Dan's opening monologue seemed to fall flat and the Denny's ad was just plain creepy.

I got the scoreboard clue right away as well as FJ. I doubt David watches these episodes, but I bet he would have gotten it right.

It won't get him into the finals, but I liked the winner's FJ bet as he loses with a miss anyway.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

clprez wrote:Can somebody tell me the last clue and answer for both rounds?
Spoiler
Cycle for 1000

This bike race seen in the movie "Breaking Away" is 200 laps (for men) around Bill Armstrong Stadium.

What is the Little 500?

Sixth man for 2000

Born in Germany, he won twice in a row in the early 1990s.

Who is Detlef Schrempf?
clprez

Post by clprez »

jpr281 wrote:
clprez wrote:Can somebody tell me the last clue and answer for both rounds?
Spoiler
Cycle for 1000

This bike race seen in the movie "Breaking Away" is 200 laps (for men) around Bill Armstrong Stadium.

What is the Little 500?

Sixth man for 2000

Born in Germany, he won twice in a row in the early 1990s.

Who is Detlef Schrempf?
Thank you. As somebody pointed out, getting this answered was not likely because people usually don't read it until after they've watched it, so I was not very hopeful.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

They've had some tough FJs on this show. This was not one of them. :lol:

1/7: 13,500 (FJ: :mrgreen:)
sroel908

Post by sroel908 »

It's great to see the discussion of this episode, as I got to be a part of it as a contestant! It was such a great experience, and I was thrilled to face two worthy competitors!

I kicked myself for not knowing the Phil Mickelson response...when I got to watch the episode on Crackle, I knew it right away, even though I forgot that clue was a part of the game!

All in all, I am glad with how I did. And I will never forget that Bill Walton won the Sixth Man award after Kevin McHale won it back-to-back in the 80s...