Monday, January 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, January 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote:[That had me scratching my head, as I thought the lyric 'only teenage waistland'
But enough about the obesity epidemic...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

makeabeilein wrote:My mind leapt first to "Amethyst"
Personally she's my favorite of the Crystal Gems, but she, Pearl, and Garnet make a great team. (And Steven, for that matter.)

…and I would bet $1.98 that I am the only person on this forum who even watches Steven Universe
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

makeabeilein wrote: I do take issue with
fritzk3 wrote: the DDs in DJ were easier than normal. Oregon Trail was a total gimme, and it doesn't take much to get from agriculture -> green -> emerald.
since the clue does not actually mention "agriculture." My mind leapt first to "Amethyst" (always stupid amethyst), but I pushed it away and started looking for clues. I seized on "fertility" and made the leap to agriculture, and, of course, it didn't take much to get -> green -> EMERALD OR JADE -> jade is big in Asia rather than Central America -> Emerald.
Silly me. I was trying to dredge up Geology 14 (Mineralogy), which I took in the fall of 1982. I got emerald, but it took me a long time!
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

makeabeilein wrote: since the clue does not actually mention "agriculture." My mind leapt first to "Amethyst" (always stupid amethyst), but I pushed it away and started looking for clues. I seized on "fertility" and made the leap to agriculture, and, of course, it didn't take much to get -> green -> EMERALD OR JADE -> jade is big in Asia rather than Central America -> Emerald.
Curious how you eliminated turquoise. That was where I jumped to with green gem and Mexico. I don't associate emerald with central america.

Also, congrats on the roommate switch. How did you pull it off?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thenextofken wrote:Would they have taken "shishkebob" for kebob? Judges?
No. A shish kebab is meat on a skewer; a doner kebab is a gyro.
J.S. Pepys
Contributor

Post by J.S. Pepys »

seaborgium wrote:The Wednesday before each year's Oscar night, there's an Oscar-themed quiz at O'Brien's. One of the questions at last year's asked for four Best Picture winners: two whose title characters die in the opening scene, and two whose opening scenes take place at some point after the title character's death. I was lucky to have a team well versed in Best Picture winners (including mrbungle, as I recall); they specifically mentioned a motorcycle crash at the outset of Lawrence of Arabia, and I managed to keep that somewhere in my mind and bring it out nearly a year later.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out what the other three Best Pictures were. (The Godfather, Part II was grudgingly accepted, but was not one of the intended responses.)
I admittedly need to brush up on my Best Picture winner knowledge, but all I can think of is
Spoiler
Gandhi
Is that even correct? It's been a long time since I've seen that movie and I'm not sure if I'm misremembering the opening scene. I'd be curious to know what the others are as well.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

J.S. Pepys wrote:
seaborgium wrote:The Wednesday before each year's Oscar night, there's an Oscar-themed quiz at O'Brien's. One of the questions at last year's asked for four Best Picture winners: two whose title characters die in the opening scene, and two whose opening scenes take place at some point after the title character's death. I was lucky to have a team well versed in Best Picture winners (including mrbungle, as I recall); they specifically mentioned a motorcycle crash at the outset of Lawrence of Arabia, and I managed to keep that somewhere in my mind and bring it out nearly a year later.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out what the other three Best Pictures were. (The Godfather, Part II was grudgingly accepted, but was not one of the intended responses.)
Weekend at Bernie's won an Oscar?
Sheepin' it real.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

J.S. Pepys wrote: I admittedly need to brush up on my Best Picture winner knowledge, but all I can think of is
Spoiler
Gandhi
Is that even correct? It's been a long time since I've seen that movie and I'm not sure if I'm misremembering the opening scene. I'd be curious to know what the others are as well.
Yep. Also
Spoiler
Amadeus
but I'm at a loss for the 4th...although do you think they might (grudgingly) accept...
Spoiler
Titanic? The ship's basically a character of its own and it -was- dead in the opening shots! (unless this turns out to be the 4th, of course...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Volante wrote:
J.S. Pepys wrote: I admittedly need to brush up on my Best Picture winner knowledge, but all I can think of is
Spoiler
Gandhi
Yep. Also
Spoiler
Amadeus
but I'm at a loss for the 4th...although do you think they might (grudgingly) accept...
Spoiler
Titanic? The ship's basically a character of its own and it -was- dead in the opening shots! (unless this turns out to be the 4th, of course...)
The other is Citizen Kane, of course; oh, wait...
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

makeabeilein wrote: My mind leapt first to "Amethyst" (always stupid amethyst), but I pushed it away and started looking for clues. I seized on "fertility" and made the leap to agriculture, and, of course, it didn't take much to get -> green -> EMERALD OR JADE -> jade is big in Asia rather than Central America -> Emerald.
Amethyst is quartz. Jade is, in fact, intimately tied to the Mayan culture of Central America, though it's jadeite and not the superior quality nephrite common to Asian art. There is a steep, sweltering set of stairs inside the pyramid at Chichen Itza, which is accessed by a very small door on the side of its base and leads to a statue of a jaguar. The air is incredibly close, and one is drenched in sweat after the climb. One of the jaguar's eyes is painted green. It of course used to be an eye of jade, but the jade is long gone. Probably for its own protection. Jade was the first thing I thought of when given Central America because of that cultural tie. Emerald is much more closely related to South America, mostly Brazil, but emerald is beryl and jade is not, so it only took a moment to reassure that's what they were going for.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

One of my best games lately. 21 correct in each round. :D
5/5 in 2015 Anniversary "Bill",and the Who. Listened to them on classic rock radio for years. Filmore west..been there a long time ago.
I have never seen Lawrence of Arabia. So no correct answer for FJ.
Note to self. Watch that movie soon.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

mrsal67 wrote:
makeabeilein wrote: since the clue does not actually mention "agriculture." My mind leapt first to "Amethyst" (always stupid amethyst), but I pushed it away and started looking for clues. I seized on "fertility" and made the leap to agriculture, and, of course, it didn't take much to get -> green -> EMERALD OR JADE -> jade is big in Asia rather than Central America -> Emerald.
Curious how you eliminated turquoise. That was where I jumped to with green gem and Mexico. I don't associate emerald with central america.
I thought turquoise also. I was pretty sure, too.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote:
Spoiler
Gandhi
Yep. Also
Spoiler
Amadeus
Spoiler
We're up to three correct responses; Volante, you got my joke answer!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote:
Spoiler
Gandhi
Yep. Also
Spoiler
Amadeus
Spoiler
We're up to three correct responses; Volante, you got my joke answer!
If I am reading the comments correctly it's:
Spoiler
Lawrence of Arabia
Gandhi
Amadeus
Can I try more than one guess for the 4th to narrow it down?
Spoiler
Rebecca
Gladiator
Million Dollar Baby

and I assume Lester Burnham was not the title character of his movie? ;)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yes, and yes. Now you have to narrow it down further.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:Yes, and yes. Now you have to narrow it down further.
Good eve-uh-ning. I have consulted with outside counsel and will go with:
Spoiler
Rebecca
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Yes, and yes. Now you have to narrow it down further.
Good eve-uh-ning. I have consulted with outside counsel and will go with:
Spoiler
Rebecca
GAH! Of course... I really need to get around to seeing that one one day, too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
makeabeilein
Jeopardy! Champion/Second-Best Performer

Post by makeabeilein »

mrsal67 wrote:Curious how you eliminated turquoise. That was where I jumped to with green gem and Mexico. I don't associate emerald with central america.

Also, congrats on the roommate switch. How did you pull it off?
Hoo, boy. I have no answer for that. Just lucky my depth of knowledge went just as far as the depth of Jeopardy!'s clues, in this case.

Nice catch in your earlier Seinfeld reference post! I have often claimed to have pulled off "the switch," although it was not exactly my idea. Roommate #1 broke up with me at the end of the year they were roommates; Roommate #2 had gotten to know me while I was hanging out on the dorm hall waiting for Roommate #1 to get back from long frequent premed study sessions at the library (I was better friends with most of the girls on that hall than Roommate #1 ever was). I tend to find that I'm not an obvious choice right off the bat, but when ladies get to know me I win them over. We eventually went on a date, yada yada.
AT made it sound like I ruined their friendship, but again, in point of fact, Roommate #1 was much less interested in friends than in really really excelling in school. So, they are "not particularly" still friends.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

"Baba O'Riley" is a combination of Meher Baba (an Indian spiritual philosopher who abstained from speaking for the last 49 years of his life) and the composer Terry Riley (the intro to the song is very Rileyesque).

This film was nominated for 11 Academy awards and began with one of the main characters dead in a swimming pool
Spoiler
Sunset Boulevard
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Golf wrote:I thought Lauren was very pretty, does that make me sexist or polite?

FJ is basic pavlov for died in a motorcycle crash.
Exactly, how was this a TS?

Sir, Leonard Lawrence, sir. Lawrence, what, of Arabia? That sounds like royalty, are you royalty?