Wednesday, January 14, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6983, 2015-01-14

John Schultz game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Cyndi Pruss, a biochemist from Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joshua Qualls, a theoretical physicist from Lexington, Kentucky
John Schultz, a computer programmer from Ann Arbor, Michigan (whose 4-day cash winnings total $85,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. As you've noticed by now, I'm sure, our champion, John Schultz, likes round numbers, and he has accumulated quite a few round numbers in his four days with us. Cyndi and Joshua, I'm happy to welcome you aboard, and I wish you all good luck. Now... we'll reveal the categories for Jeopardy!...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LANDMARK SUPREME COURT CASES (4/5)
FRUIT (4/5)
WHAT IT'S NOT (4/5)
EARTH (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WIND (4/5)
"FIRE" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Joshua: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Cyndi: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joshua found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. John had no money, Joshua had $200, and Cyndi had nothing in the bank. Joshua wagered $1,000.

EARTH $400: Among the seas of the Mediterranean, it's alphabetically first
(Joshua: What is the Aegean?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $1,800
Cyndi: $800
Joshua: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Cyndi Pruss is a biochemist from Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Cyndi, for the last few days, we've been pursuing a theme--how you met your mate. How did you and your husband meet?

Cyndi: Well, I met my husband Rob at quiz bowl at Penn State.

Alex: Where you on the same team?

Cyndi: We were on the same team--

Alex: Or competing against each other?

Cyndi: No, we were on the same team, and--and... And we've been together ever since, and I have to say, I'm the second best Jeopardy! player in our house.

Alex: Oh, how sweet of you. Is he sitting in the audience today or watching at home?

Cyndi: He is gonna be watching at home. He's home in Kingston with my two children, so...

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Joshua Qualls from Lexington, Kentucky.

Joshua: That's right.

Alex: I wanna know about how you met your wife, because there's an interesting tale here.

Joshua: [Sighs] Yes. So late one night walking home from... studying...

Alex: Of course.

Joshua: Of course. I happened to see a friend through the window of a restaurant, and in my studious state of mind, thought it would be good idea to make a horribly hideous face at him through the window. It was only after doing this that I realized he was sitting across from the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Joshua: But there was a happy ending. We started to talk after that, and now she's my wife. Hi, Kylie.

Alex: You squeezed your friend out.

Joshua: It's--

Alex: We've heard a lot of that kind of stuff this week, boy.

[Laughter]

Alex: Talk to John about that, too.

Alex: All right, John. You got fired from one job why?

John: I wrote a chat program that my friends and I used at work.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

John: Uh, it wasn't really on work time. It was just a spare time thing. We--we were in a training program, and we were kinda ahead of the curve, so we used it at work a little bit. Uh, but it all turned okay. I got fired from that job. I got hired, uh, to my current job about a month later with a significant promotion, uh, and in my interview, one of--you know, I had to explain why I left my previous job, of course, and my interviewer--all he had to say was--was, "Wait. You--you wrote a chat program in--in Java?" Which was the language we were gonna be working--I was gonna be working with.

Alex: Uh huh.

John: So he was just impressed.

Alex: See that? Things have a way of working out. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EARTH $800: It's also known as the "Grand Canyon of the Snake"

EARTH $1000: Lake Vostok is the largest lake here
(John: What is Russia?)
(Joshua: What is Ukraine?)

FRUIT $1000: Elephant heart is a red-fleshed variety of this fruit

WHAT IT'S NOT $800: It's not what you think, sweetie! This leader of Myanmar's National League for Democracy is just a friend!

WIND $800: "Ba de ya, say do you remember" this hit by Earth, Wind & Fire, one of many featuring the Phenix Horns

LANDMARK SUPREME COURT CASES $1000: The 1819 case of McCulloch v. Maryland affirmed that Congress had these "powers" not enumerated in the Constitution
(John: What are reserved?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $4,200
Cyndi: $2,400
Joshua: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 19th CENTURY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
JOBS IN ART (2/5)
CAT-O'-FIVE-TALES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DESIGNERS (5/5)
FROM NAMES TO WORDS (5/5)
LUCKY '13 (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joshua: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
John: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Cyndi: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joshua snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. John had $4,200, Joshua had $1,000, and Cyndi was at $2,400. Joshua wagered $2,000.

CAT-O'-FIVE-TALES $800: Church, the cat in this Stephen King novel, is killed one day, then pops up the next day like nothing happened--typical cat

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joshua who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. John had $10,600, Joshua had $10,600, and Cyndi was at $4,400. Joshua wagered $2,500.

THE 19th CENTURY $1600: Exiled from Prussia in 1849, this newspaper editor printed his final issue in red
(Joshua: I don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LUCKY '13 $2000: On July 13, 2013 she tied the knot with actor Olivier Martinez; 3 months later, at the age of 47, she gave birth to their son

THE 19th CENTURY $1200: Not a fan of abolitionists, he was a volunteer in the militia at the hanging of John Brown

JOBS IN ART $800: Luke Fildes used the sickbed of his little son as inspiration for an 1891 work depicting this professional

JOBS IN ART $1600: This 18th century master of Venetian views gave us "The Stonemason's Yard"

JOBS IN ART $2000: This 20th century African-American master depicted "The Carpenters" here
(Alex: The artist is [*]. Less than a minute to go now, Cyndi.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $15,800
Joshua: $9,700
Cyndi: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
John: Wager $3,601 to cover Joshua, but no more than $3,799 so as not to fall behind Cyndi's doubled score.
Joshua: You have the hope of surpassing John if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,101 to force John to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Cyndi.
Cyndi: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The difference of this southern state's highest & lowest points is only 345 feet, the smallest disparity among the states

FINAL SCORES
Cyndi: $6,000 + $5,900 = $11,900 (What is Florida?) (3rd place)
Joshua: $9,700 + $6,300 = $16,000 (What is Florida?) (2nd place)
John: $15,800 + $3,700 = $19,500 (What is Florida?) (85001-day champion: $19,500)
(Alex: [revealing John's response] We're looking for [*], and like Ponce de León, we find it.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $15,800, 19 R, 2 W
Joshua: $12,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Cyndi: $6,000, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 20/58 = .345
Joshua: 20/61 = .328
Cyndi: 10/58 = .172
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
EARTH $600: Seen here, the Peace Palace in this Dutch seat of government was a gift of Andrew Carnegie
(Cyndi: What is Amsterdam?)

WHAT IT'S NOT $400: It's not derivative, it's from the Latin for "chief" & is an election for a party's nomination
(Cyndi: What is delegate?)

LANDMARK SUPREME COURT CASES $800: Constitutional scholars say that the Court's worst decision ever was against this plaintiff in 1857

FROM NAMES TO WORDS $1200: Hey, sweetheart, it means to refuse to share
[Alex reads the clue in a deep voice]

THE 19th CENTURY $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) An 1823 treaty assured the return of runaway slaves, & a move south to a 4-million-acre reservation by this Native American tribe

JOBS IN ART $1200: 19th century art's focus on unglamorous work included Daumier's this -ess

DESIGNERS $1200: She took over creative control of her family's design house in 1997, after her brother Gianni's death
(Joshua: Who is Versace?)
(Alex: Correct. Oh, be more specific.)
(Joshua: Who is... Sally Versace?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Adriatic
Hells Canyon
Antarctica
the plum
Aung San Suu Kyi
"September"
implied powers
Pet Sematary
Karl Marx
Halle Berry
John Wilkes Booth
a doctor
Canaletto
Jacob Lawrence
Florida
The Hague
primary
Dred Scott
bogart
the Seminoles
The Laundress
Donatella Versace
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. States
The difference of this state's highest & lowest points is only 345 feet, the smallest disparity among the states.

Spoiler
What is Florida?

John Schultz: $15,800+$3,700=$19,500...now a 5-day champion with $104,500
Joshua Qualls: $9,700+$6,300=$16,000
Cyndi Pruss: $6,000+$5,900=$11,900
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

IMHO, the final was made excessively easier by the addition of "southern state", I think taking it out would have left some relatively plausible wrong guesses (like Nebraska and Kansas, both of which are notoriously flat), narrowing it to the South is a "what else could it be?" moment, and I'm idly curious as to if the contestants would have got it if "southern" was removed (Cyndi? John?) Myself, I fast forwarded a bit too fast and saw "345" and "highest point" and instantly knew it was Florida (for some reason the fact that Florida's high point, a (unnamed?) hill that is 345 feet high and is the lowest high point in the Union, has stuck in my mind)

Congratulations Cyndi for the appearance and the touching story about you and boson!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Two second-row DDs? Well... ok I guess. Gimmes, at that.

This week is being pretty unkind to me, I couldn't get out of first gear once again, although Lucky '13 and Designers afforded me a decent handful of gets in DJ.

Not quite instaget FJ as I did go over the map a few times, but the logic is pretty sound there, no problem in the end.

We've got a ToCer here folks! Nice to have three really good champs in a row (Vaughn, Elliot, John) after a very stop-start first few months of the season.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For some reason, WNEM was still showing CBS News at 7:01. I switched to WBKB just to be sure I wouldn't miss ny clues. At the first break I flipped back to WNEM because WBKB's sound was tinny, and was surprised to see that WNEM had caught back up. I wonder what made the news run long?

Earth was tough. Aegean/Adriatic is very close and seemed almost neg-baity; and I saw no way to get Antarctica at $1,000.

What led to "Bonfire" on "Fire" for $200? I don't associate bonfires with Labor Day.

Also, Fruit for $400 seemed like a coinflip on date vs. coconut.

0/5 in 19th Century, and "What Does the Fox Say?" was my only get in '13.

Jobs in Art for $800 was easy to overthink. I was waffling on whether they wanted pediatrician, nurse, surgeon, doctor, just about anyone else who tends to the sick…

Seminole was overvalued at $2,000.

There's more one Versace?!

Why bother guessing on FJ!? Whatever I put down will be wrong. This clue has way too little TOM. How the hell was this a triple—
dhkendall wrote:IMHO, the final was made excessively easier by the addition of "southern state"
…wait, the clue said Southern?! I totally didn't see that.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:IMHO, the final was made excessively easier by the addition of "southern state", I think taking it out would have left some relatively plausible wrong guesses (like Nebraska and Kansas, both of which are notoriously flat), narrowing it to the South is a "what else could it be?" moment, and I'm idly curious as to if the contestants would have got it if "southern" was removed (Cyndi? John?) Myself, I fast forwarded a bit too fast and saw "345" and "highest point" and instantly knew it was Florida (for some reason the fact that Florida's high point, a (unnamed?) hill that is 345 feet high and is the lowest high point in the Union, has stuck in my mind)

Congratulations Cyndi for the appearance and the touching story about you and boson!
It's called Britton Hill ... needless to say it would have been an instaget for me without the "southern state". Like you, dhk, all I needed to see was 345.

You played well, Cyndi, but the two men were buzzer beasts today.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to John on his 5th win! I had 37 correct responses including the triple-stumper "September," and also the DD of Adriatic. I got FJ instantly.
dhkendall wrote:IMHO, the final was made excessively easier by the addition of "southern state", I think taking it out would have left some relatively plausible wrong guesses [...]
I agree completely. I think that leaving out "southern" would have made this FJ more challenging, but still gettable by some. I would have gotten it without "southern."
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

...I guessed Louisiana. :oops:

Can Alex lay off the stories-involving-spouses?
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

NYCScribbler wrote:...I guessed Louisiana. :oops:

Can Alex lay off the stories-involving-spouses?
I did the same, after talking myself OUT of Florida.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:IMHO, the final was made excessively easier by the addition of "southern state", I think taking it out would have left some relatively plausible wrong guesses (like Nebraska and Kansas, both of which are notoriously flat), narrowing it to the South is a "what else could it be?" moment, and I'm idly curious as to if the contestants would have got it if "southern" was removed (Cyndi? John?) Myself, I fast forwarded a bit too fast and saw "345" and "highest point" and instantly knew it was Florida (for some reason the fact that Florida's high point, a (unnamed?) hill that is 345 feet high and is the lowest high point in the Union, has stuck in my mind)

It's called Britton Hill ... needless to say it would have been an instaget for me without the "southern state". Like you, dhk, all I needed to see was 345.

You played well, Cyndi, but the two men were buzzer beasts today.
I also only needed to see 345, but the clue shouldn't have said "southern". It was too easy with that word in there.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Supreme- 4; Fruit- 2; Not- 2; Earth- 2; Wind- 4; Fire- 4
19th- 4; Jobs- 1; Tale- 1; Design- 2; Word- 3; 13- 3

Lach Trash: "Aung San Suu Kyi", "September", "John Wilkes Booth" (surprisingly, IMO)

Instaget FJ.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

With this, John's 5th win, he is now ranked 138th all-time, just ahead of Vaughn Winchell, ranked 139th all-time.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Overall the quality of clues is getting tougher. Except for FJ, This one would fit in with the TOC.

Lach Trash: Adriatic (DD), September, implied, Halle Berry, John Wilkes Booth
I was listening to that September song last night at pub trivia.

Instaget FJ
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:IMHO, the final was made excessively easier by the addition of "southern state"
…wait, the clue said Southern?! I totally didn't see that.
I must have missed that part too, because I said Rhode Island. Either way, this FJ served as a reminder that I need to study up on my U.S. geography.

Congrats again, John!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

You finally get on, Cyndi, and you run into a buzzsaw. Bummer, ain't it? Hopefully Boson will avenge your honor someday. Congrats on yet another win, John.

I'm guessing Southern was in there to steer people away from Jerimoth Hill, even though it's substantially higher. Instaget followed by looking around to make sure it couldn't be anything but Florida.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:I think taking it out would have left some relatively plausible wrong guesses (like Nebraska and Kansas, both of which are notoriously flat)
Not nearly as notorious as you think, David. The difference in Kansas is almost 3,300', and Nebraska is around 4,600'. Keep in mind that the earth keeps tilting upward toward the Rockies. Other than DC, Delaware is next closest with a difference of 448', and Louisiana (which I thought briefly about) is 543'. Mississippi is also under 1,000'.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

TPTB obviously monitor this board, since they used the Earth, Wind and Fire song "September" that I had used as a bonus question in my last TD. :D

Tough luck Cyndi, was retro-rooting for you as wife-of-boson. Nice story, too!

Congratulations to John for becoming a 5-time winner! Well played.

Immediately went to Florida on FJ, but then the more I thought about it, I started wondering whether it was Louisiana, but ultimately stuck with my first instinct.
Sheepin' it real.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Spent a few minutes wondering if they would call Delaware southern, but I was pretty sure it was Florida anyway.

The thing about Nebraska, Kansas, Illinois, etc. -- they are already several hundred feet above sea level, no matter how flat they are... so it had to be along the coasts.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
The thing about Nebraska, Kansas, Illinois, etc. -- they are already several hundred feet above sea level, no matter how flat they are... so it had to be along the coasts.
How is this relevant for finding difference between highest and lowest points?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!