Any French speakers here?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Any French speakers here?

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:They sure don't use anything with the word 'numero' in it.
Actually, it is used in French. If you get a wrong number call, you would say, "Vous vous etes trompe de numero."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Like, ever?

Edit: econgator justified my misgivings.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
Actually, it is used in French. If you get a wrong number call, you would say, "Vous vous etes trompe de numero."
Grumble grumble I stand corrected grumble grumble. I'll go drown my sorrows in an éclair.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

Hey, I ruined his day, he's allowed to trash my attempts a la francais!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

alietr wrote:Got it ... J'espère que j'ai gagné aujourd'ui. I hope that I won today.
Concur, clearly said that ^ knowing that the taping of this segment in advance would appear later, after she had won or lost, begging the question; what tense is she using?
Spoiler
A: Future pluperfect subjunctive, yes quite a mouthful, a 'future event in anticipation of having happened with some as-yet unforeseeable, dependent outcome,' lol!
Contrast with "J'aspere que Je gagne aujourd'hui", future simple subjunctive mood; "I hope that I win today!"
More grammatical fun to be had at:
http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/gra ... fect.shtml
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I reiterate that Carolyn says "je gagne", not "j'ai gagné", right before "aujourd'hui" in the clip.

Here are some audio files from an online French-language resource illustrating the difference in pronunciation.

http://www.audiofrench.com/verbs/sounds ... _gagne.mp3

http://www.audiofrench.com/verbs/sounds ... _gagne.mp3

Notice that the present tense "gagne" ends in what you might call a consonantal Y sound. The "gn" is pronounced like the middle of the English words "canyon" or "onion", or the sound illustrated by "ñ" in Spanish words like "jalapeño". In Carolyn's line, you're hearing that Y-ish sound right before the "oh" sound at the beginning of "aujourd'hui".

Also, right before "gagne", Carolyn is saying "je", which has a schwa-like vowel, as opposed to "j'ai", which has a more open vowel sound that English-speakers might spell as "eh" or "ay".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote:I reiterate that Carolyn says "je gagne", not "j'ai gagné", right before "aujourd'hui" in the clip.
After listening to it again, I agree. It's definitely a 'zhuh' (je), not a 'zhay' (j'ai).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
skullturf wrote:I reiterate that Carolyn says "je gagne", not "j'ai gagné", right before "aujourd'hui" in the clip.
After listening to it again, I agree. It's definitely a 'zhuh' (je), not a 'zhay' (j'ai).
How can you tell? French people sound like they are speaking with a mouth full of marbles.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:
econgator wrote:
How can you tell? French people sound like they are speaking with a mouth full of marbles.
Then just record them and slow down the playback.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
econgator wrote:
Je pense donc je suis Charlie Marron.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vanya wrote:
Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
econgator wrote:
Man, you speak French with a terrible Russian accent.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

Vanya wrote:
Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
econgator wrote:
Ne pas Charlie Hebdo?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Vanya wrote:
econgator wrote:
IMHO she speaks French with a Southern accent, hence slurred j'ai to "jeaih"
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!