Thursday, January 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, January 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I posted before you did, but mine had to be moderated since I'm a noob here. (Howdy, all.)
Where a post appears in the thread is determined by when the post was submitted, not when it was approved.
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Re: Thursday, January 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ÕώÕ »

This game was just frightening.

Glad Will got out of the red, or we would have no winner like in 1998 (Both of the co-leaders missed)
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Has there ever previously been a game that went into FJ with a tie for the lead where the trailer had a solo win on a sole get?

In this one, only the trailer got FJ correct, doubling up, but one leader bet it all, and the other leader fell to a tie with the trailer (by accident, it was reported).

In this one, only the trailer got FJ correct, but neither leader bet it all, and one of them bet to keep the trailer locked out.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:I posted before you did, but mine had to be moderated since I'm a noob here. (Howdy, all.)
Where a post appears in the thread is determined by when the post was submitted, not when it was approved.
I stand corrected. Please pardon the redundancy. Also kindly forgive the repetition.
Sprinkles are for winners.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Please pardon the redundancy. Also kindly forgive the repetition.
You win the thread forum internet.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Vermonter wrote:
Vanya wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:If those are the data, then I'm surprised by them, but I won't argue the over the premise.
And all of those percentages are completely irrelevant in a single game. When are you guys going to realize this?
I have no idea what you are getting at here. Let me recast this argument:

"The roulette wheel lands on red 47.4% of the time, and black 47.4% of the time."

"And all of those percentages are completely irrelevant in a single spin. When are you guys going to realize this?"
If you only get to spin the wheel once, yes, they are irrelevant.

Even so, it's not a good analogy. Every Jeopardy game is different. Different opponents, different FJs. Every spin of the roulette wheel is the same.
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

seaborgium wrote:Has there ever previously been a game that went into FJ with a tie for the lead where the trailer had a solo win on a sole get?

In this one, only the trailer got FJ correct, doubling up, but one leader bet it all, and the other leader fell to a tie with the trailer (by accident, it was reported).

In this one, only the trailer got FJ correct, but neither leader bet it all, and one of them bet to keep the trailer locked out.
There was a game in the 1990's. All 3 missed. The lady who was returning champion bet $0. The 2 co-leaders bet everything.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Vanya wrote:Even so, it's not a good analogy. Every Jeopardy game is different. Different opponents, different FJs. Every spin of the roulette wheel is the same.
I think a better comparison is the 4th Down Bot, which gives expected values for 4th and [distance] situation at X position on the field (with >10 minutes remaining in the game).

There might be other factors – offensive strength, defensive strength, weather – that affect the numbers, but on the whole they're a good starting point for estimating the potential payoffs of certain decisions, as is the 50% FJ get rate with 20% correlation. JMO.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

ÕώÕ wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Has there ever previously been a game that went into FJ with a tie for the lead where the trailer had a solo win on a sole get?

There was a game in the 1990's. All 3 missed. The lady who was returning champion bet $0. The 2 co-leaders bet everything.
That's this game, I believe: 12/12/97

One game matches your criteria, Stefan: 3/11/98

Other games in which the trailer won:
3/18/99 (TS)
6/6/00 (TS, bad wagers all around)
11/19/08 (TT SF; double-get, co-leader underbet, trailer went all-in)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I also had "trailer at less than half of the leaders" in mind, but I'm not going to move the goalposts after your work. Thanks!

Edit: Steve Fried made it into the 2000 ToC finals on a TS after Michael Rooney led him by $100. Had Michael held back a hundred instead of going TDD earlier, Carolyn Cracraft probably would have been a finalist.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Some days I think Alex should have a nuclear option. At his discretion, he can say, "Ok, you clowns, that's it. Get off my stage. Johnny, tell everybody the names of the three contestants who are coming out to replace them." Or maybe he could select three random audience members. Or maybe each audience member could have a device that enables them to downvote contestants. If 75 percent of the audience votes you off, you're gone.
As long as we don't start taking pointers from The Meanest Weakest Link and start having Alex hurl vitriolic insults at them for no freaking reason before telling them that they have to stab each other in the back for the sake of pure greed vote each other off.

(In case you can't guess, The Weakest Link is one of my least favorite game shows ever.)
I think The Weakest Link could have been great with a single tweak (The Tweakest Link?): give immunity to the strongest link in each round. It's unacceptable to have a quiz show in which you can answer every question correctly and still lose.
Especially in the cases of "Celebrity Editions" where it would be down to three people, and two of them were married to each other so they certainly weren't voting each other off. I was an old wrestling fan, with HHH and Stephanie McMahon pulling that stunt. I think there was also an L.A. Law Reunion episode where Jill Eikenberry and Michael Tucker were in the final three.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

Forgive me, because I haven't been on the board much (mostly because I stopped tracking my Coryats after the TOC out of frustration), but... I never saw an announcement of a "no ties" rule?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

buckeyebrain wrote:Forgive me, because I haven't been on the board much (mostly because I stopped tracking my Coryats after the TOC out of frustration), but... I never saw an announcement of a "no ties" rule?
Hasn't been announced on air yet, but contestants have confirmed it's been said in the green room briefings for the past while.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

dhkendall wrote:
buckeyebrain wrote:Forgive me, because I haven't been on the board much (mostly because I stopped tracking my Coryats after the TOC out of frustration), but... I never saw an announcement of a "no ties" rule?
Hasn't been announced on air yet, but contestants have confirmed it's been said in the green room briefings for the past while.
Yup -- was in the green room briefing. Word seems to be getting around; about half the room wasn't surprised. The half that were, though . . . :o
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Revolt! Tie-loving contestants unite! They can't force a rule on us! Strike!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Just think. If they'd enacted a "no ties" rule sooner, then Jeff Kirby never would've been caught.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Just think. If they'd enacted a "no ties" rule sooner, then Jeff Kirby never would've been caught.
:lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Just think. If they'd enacted a "no ties" rule sooner, then Jeff Kirby never would've been caught.
Criminy. You must've been wearing oven mitts to safely type out that scorcher.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)