LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL64: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jfrumkin wrote:3 points for 1Q84, giving me the win. Advantage to constantly browsing the library's Kindle books site to see if anything looks interesting to read.
I read it last year. Never would have gotten it right otherwise. I've got to say it was a bit of a slog. Interesting, but not interesting enough to be about 1,000 pages long. I'm a little surprised it was a "smash" bestseller as the question stated.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:3 points for 1Q84, giving me the win. Advantage to constantly browsing the library's Kindle books site to see if anything looks interesting to read.
I read it last year. Never would have gotten it right otherwise. I've got to say it was a bit of a slog. Interesting, but not interesting enough to be about 1,000 pages long. I'm a little surprised it was a "smash" bestseller as the question stated.
For experimental fiction, Kirk, a "smash" bestseller just has to sell 500 copies. Just sayin' :mrgreen:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:
BoK wrote:I really liked the Taurus question, but only because I got it. Otherwise I would have hated it. Two separate neg-baits: "Crab Nebula" -> Cancer and "mid-May to late June" -> Gemini.
Absolutely. If he hadn't given us Aldebaran, I never would have got it.

Ditto. My brother's name is Brian and he is a Taurus. When he was younger, I used to joke with him that they named the star Aldebrian in Taurus after him. :)
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

teapot37 wrote:
reddpen wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Well, it was my turn this time to score the maximum points possible on three correct responses[/spoiler]
I just discovered that that match was my first time in LL history scoring 7(3). Not only was that the last "perfectly bad defense" score I hadn't gotten; it was the last of all possible scores I hadn't yet achieved! That took me fourteen seasons; I wonder who's done it fastest, and who has gone the longest without doing it. I have to imagine there are several people, for example, who have never gotten 0(0).
Yesterday was my first time scoring 8(4) and beating an opponent who got more right than I did. I also got an 8(4) off kingrat once, and have given up three of them, including two days ago.

As to your last point, given this A-B-C rundler is still one of them, I'd have to imagine there are quite a few more than several people who've yet to get bageled.
I got curious and checked myself. I am missing 7(3), 5(2), 4(2), 2(2), 3(1), and 0(0). I hope to never complete the list (although the completist in me secretly wishes I would).
Yes, interesting premise, Stefan. I'm in my 8th season, and I'm missing 0(0), 7(3), and 9(5). I tend to be pretty easy to defend against, so it's pretty rare for someone to give me the worst possible defense. I've gone 0(1) five times, but thus far have managed to elude the double bagel.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

The long-term parking lot that I've used many times recently when flying out of LAX is on Vicksburg Ave, which keeps the Grant connection always fresh in my mind.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

jeff6286 wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
reddpen wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Well, it was my turn this time to score the maximum points possible on three correct responses[/spoiler]
I just discovered that that match was my first time in LL history scoring 7(3). Not only was that the last "perfectly bad defense" score I hadn't gotten; it was the last of all possible scores I hadn't yet achieved! That took me fourteen seasons; I wonder who's done it fastest, and who has gone the longest without doing it. I have to imagine there are several people, for example, who have never gotten 0(0).
Yesterday was my first time scoring 8(4) and beating an opponent who got more right than I did. I also got an 8(4) off kingrat once, and have given up three of them, including two days ago.

As to your last point, given this A-B-C rundler is still one of them, I'd have to imagine there are quite a few more than several people who've yet to get bageled.
I got curious and checked myself. I am missing 7(3), 5(2), 4(2), 2(2), 3(1), and 0(0). I hope to never complete the list (although the completist in me secretly wishes I would).
Yes, interesting premise, Stefan. I'm in my 8th season, and I'm missing 0(0), 7(3), and 9(5). I tend to be pretty easy to defend against, so it's pretty rare for someone to give me the worst possible defense. I've gone 0(1) five times, but thus far have managed to elude the double bagel.
In my 3rd season, I stll have 9(6), 9(5), 8(4), 7(3) and 3(1), i.e. the perfect offense plus all of the perfectly bad defenses except for 5(2), which I managed once. I think I am also pretty easy to defend, with an overall get rate <50% and a very wide disparity between my best and worst categories.
Sheepin' it real.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Is there a list of all the scores, or can someone at least say how many there are, to make figuring it out easier? (Being in D Ribdle, figuring out the correct answer to things is obviously not my strong suit)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

9(6)
9(5), 8(5), 7(5), 6(5)
8(4), 7(4), 6(4), 5(4), 4(4)
7(3), 6(3), 5(3), 4(3), 3(3), 2(3)
5(2), 4(2), 3(2), 2(2), 1(2)
3(1), 2(1), 1(1), 0(1)
0(0)

26 total. You could make a cipher of it and turn your season performance to gibberish.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

dhkendall wrote:Is there a list of all the scores, or can someone at least say how many there are, to make figuring it out easier? (Being in D Ribdle, figuring out the correct answer to things is obviously not my strong suit)
By my count there are 26 possible scores, 1 each for 0 or 6 right, 4 for 1 or 5 right, 5 for 2 or 4 right, and 6 for 3 right. Like Mr. Kid, I'm in my third season, am in D Rundle with just under 50% right, and a wide disparity between my highest and lowest categories. (Maybe this is why he is the only person I have been rundled with all 3 seasons, and seemingly a fourth to come.) As a result, I am also missing most of the perfect offense scores: 3(1), 4(2), 7(3), 8(4), 8(5), 9(5), and also, thankfully 0(0). The two 0(0)'s in the 50's ML don't count, right?
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

seaborgium wrote:9(6)
9(5), 8(5), 7(5), 6(5)
3(1), 2(1), 1(1), 0(1)
0(0)

26 total. You could make a cipher of it and turn your season performance to gibberish.
Don't forget the 27th score -- 0(F)! (I have shamefully checked that one off my list this season... :oops:)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:9(6)
9(5), 8(5), 7(5), 6(5)
3(1), 2(1), 1(1), 0(1)
0(0)

Stefan, I don't need to do a damn thing to turn my season performance to gibberish. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Just went back and looked at my only 5(2), about halfway through my rookie season. We tied 5(2)-5(4), but my opponent defended me with 3,2,2,1 on the 4 questions that he got right!? I'm wondering if I was the beneficiary of defensive experimentation. :?:
Sheepin' it real.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Interesting distribution so far for me:
9(6) X
9(5)
8(5) XXX
7(5)
6(5)
8(4)
7(4)
6(4) XXX
5(4) XXX
4(4) XXXX
7(3)
6(3)
5(3)
4(3)
3(3) XX
2(3) X
5(2) XX
4(2) X
3(2) X
2(2) XX
1(2)
3(1)
2(1)
1(1)
0(1)
0(0)
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
For experimental fiction, Kirk, a "smash" bestseller just has to sell 500 copies. Just sayin' :mrgreen:
You may have a point. Every book I pick up seems to claim it's a bestseller.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:And I also fell for the other enormous negbait and wrote Annie Leibowitz. It's not often that you see the MCWA with twice as many people as the correct answer.
I didn't think Leibowitz was a negbait. She was just the only photographer whose name I could think of. Was pretty sure it was wrong, but better than a blank.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And who the hell memorizes the placement of the presidents on Mt. Rushmore? (Not that that would have helped me overcome a 9(6) anyway.)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

It isn't helping my Rundle A standings that I'm having my second-worst season in terms of TCA (and the only worse season I had, I was relegated from B to C).
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

alietr wrote:And who the hell memorizes the placement of the presidents on Mt. Rushmore? (Not that that would have helped me overcome a 9(6) anyway.)
The only reason i knew was because the same question was asked in a pub trivia game, which I got wrong. I argued that the correct answer should have been washington because lincoln is actually on the left since mt rushmore is viewed from the opposite side.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Automatic promotion is now mathematically out of the window (absent some weird forfeiting), despite my win.

Had this on the brain all day yesterday. Knew a bunch of the libretto, the characters and the actors from the movie, but just couldn't come up with the name Shakespeare gave to it. If being chosen for promotion comes down to MPD or TMP, I'm going to remember this... (and look at the incredible camera work!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mr8Hy6tLYk

Playing UniquePerspective today to close out the season.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Sigh... Let this be a lesson to all who need it. Do not publicly trash talk your spouse before a competition.
Oh, was I the only one who needed that lesson? Perhaps I'll learn it in rundle C.