Monday, February 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, February 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:...retired pope = Benedict XVI, didn't hear AT say '16' but it should be required, eh?
The clue was asking what 'benedict' means in a roundabout way, not who it actually was.
The name of the retired pope means this, a good state for him to be in
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

goatman wrote: I was surprised & disappointed they didn't give credit for 'Mess' which is a term in itself, short for 'messhall.'
"

The clue required "2-word term." My own response was "officers' mess," and that seems acceptable to me...
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The USS Macon was a type of carrier aircraft, according to definition on Wikipedia. Aircraft carrier is wrong, but how about carrier aircraft?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

davey wrote:
goatman wrote: I was surprised & disappointed they didn't give credit for 'Mess' which is a term in itself, short for 'messhall.'
"

The clue required "2-word term." My own response was "officers' mess," and that seems acceptable to me...
Ahh missed that, tyvm, yes O-mess should be acc IMHO. But with these judges... who knows!? :?

Ty Volante for clarifying, minds are funny things, mine will focus on part of clue or isolate some TOM and miss the real cue, I need an Alzheimer's test!
Gosh, if I responded with Benedict XVI, probably woulda got negged for TMI! Frakking game... :evil:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Caboom wrote:So who let Tobias Fünke in the studio? And how on earth was he able to win? :roll:
I thought it was Kip from Napoleon Dynamite.
I thought Bob McKenzie turned into a nerd.
Volante

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:
davey wrote:
"

Ahh missed that, tyvm, yes O-mess should be acc IMHO. But with these judges... who knows!? :?

Ty Volante for clarifying, minds are funny things, mine will focus on part of clue or isolate some TOM and miss the real cue, I need an Alzheimer's test!
Gosh, if I responded with Benedict XVI, probably woulda got negged for TMI! Frakking game... :evil:
No worries, took me a while to decipher the clue myself. Should've tried to make the clue around a TOM of "Brian" and/or "Hawkman" :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:
"

The way it was phrased, yeah, that's fine.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think the TV category name was mispronounced. Short-lived is supposed to be pronounced with a long i, meaning having a short life.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote:I think the TV category name was mispronounced. Short-lived is supposed to be pronounced with a long i, meaning having a short life.
I've -never- heard it with a long i ever, but apparently that is an acceptable way per M-W
\ˈshȯrt-ˈlivd also -ˈlīvd\
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote:I think the TV category name was mispronounced. Short-lived is supposed to be pronounced with a long i, meaning having a short life.
Did you think about checking a dictionary? Both pronunciations are common and accepted.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

The funny thing is, Alex usually pronounces it with a long i. I'm pretty sure I learned that pronunciation from him.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Speaking of FJ!s with really bad TOMs, I just ran into this one. You're really going to expect people to know which side of January 20 the Super Bowl fell on in 1969? Come on. I'm a sports nut and was only able to answer with about 70% confidence.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Speaking of FJ!s with really bad TOMs, I just ran into this one. You're really going to expect people to know which side of January 20 the Super Bowl fell on in 1969? Come on. I'm a sports nut and was only able to answer with about 70% confidence.
Without even looking that up I could tell you it was Jan 12, 1969.

At least a football nut, maybe not a sports nut, should know they had 14 game seasons back then and no wildcard playoff round.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Category 13 wrote:At least a football nut, maybe not a sports nut, should know they had 14 game seasons back then and no wildcard playoff round.
I know all of that. Even so, the game was only eight days before the inauguration. In other years with the same basic schedule, it was as little as two days. That's a very slim margin. It's one thing if you give a similar clue about an event that is known to be at a different time of the year--say, the Miracle Mets' World Series victory--or an event known to occur on a fixed date, such as the Rose Bowl. Giving this clue, however, creates a situation where a player can a) determine what year Super Bowl III happened, either by rote knowledge or by knowing the year of another Super Bowl and counting forward or backward, b) recognize that there were two different presidents in 1969, c) know the date on which a new president is inaugurated, d) know roughly when the Super Bowl was played back in the day, and still get it wrong. That's not how FJ! is supposed to work.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Category 13 wrote:At least a football nut, maybe not a sports nut, should know they had 14 game seasons back then and no wildcard playoff round.
I know all of that. Even so, the game was only eight days before the inauguration. In other years with the same basic schedule, it was as little as two days. That's a very slim margin. It's one thing if you give a similar clue about an event that is known to be at a different time of the year--say, the Miracle Mets' World Series victory--or an event known to occur on a fixed date, such as the Rose Bowl. Giving this clue, however, creates a situation where a player can a) determine what year Super Bowl III happened, either by rote knowledge or by knowing the year of another Super Bowl and counting forward or backward, b) recognize that there were two different presidents in 1969, c) know the date on which a new president is inaugurated, d) know roughly when the Super Bowl was played back in the day, and still get it wrong. That's not how FJ! is supposed to work.
It polled at 59% with 20 people voting they got it by sheer dumb luck. The game's discussion thread took off as well: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=645
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Category 13 wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Speaking of FJ!s with really bad TOMs, I just ran into this one. You're really going to expect people to know which side of January 20 the Super Bowl fell on in 1969? Come on. I'm a sports nut and was only able to answer with about 70% confidence.
Without even looking that up I could tell you it was Jan 12, 1969.

At least a football nut, maybe not a sports nut, should know they had 14 game seasons back then and no wildcard playoff round.
Also, there were no bye weeks.
OCSam
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Caboom wrote:So who let Tobias Fünke in the studio? And how on earth was he able to win? :roll:
I thought it was Kip from Napoleon Dynamite.

Jeez, harsh! Both of those actors are far less attractive than our meager champ. He is probably even more attractive than this lookalike as Nick Burns: