Last Night's J! parody on the SNL 40th Anniversary Special

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Last Night's J! parody on the SNL 40th Anniversary Special

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote:I had the feeling that there was no sketch on the 40th special that was meant to be funny. The only goal was nostalgia. "Hey, look, here are a bunch of people who are still alive, and they're willing to come back and do that thing again one more time. So watch. Oh, the blender isn't rated for two fish at a time? Cut to commercial."
I had trouble recognizing Laraine Newman in that one...
It's often hard to tell what's meant to be funny on SNL
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Robert K S wrote:How did that conversation go?
Concisely. "She was holding his d---."
In and out of the pool four times
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Norm Macdonald, who was one of the writers that worked on the J! sketch, gave some behind-the-scenes details on Twitter -- along with some details on the genesis and more.

Here's one link that collected the tweets.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Robert K S wrote:I had the feeling that there was no sketch on the 40th special that was meant to be funny. The only goal was nostalgia. "Hey, look, here are a bunch of people who are still alive, and they're willing to come back and do that thing again one more time. So watch. Oh, the blender isn't rated for two fish at a time? Cut to commercial."

Bigups to Aykroyd for shaving his mustache in the middle of the show to go from Ronco guy to Elwood Blues. Suck it, Trebek.

(ETA: Still doesn't beat the time Galifanikis shaved his head to play Mr. T in a sketch that ended up being cut. But I guess he grew it back.)
I too enjoyed the Ronco skit but was expecting a line like "It's all about that bass."
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

trainman wrote:Norm Macdonald, who was one of the writers that worked on the J! sketch, gave some behind-the-scenes details on Twitter -- along with some details on the genesis and more.

Here's one link that collected the tweets.
Oh, thank you so much for this. I only saw a few bits and pieces of the SNL bit (mostly, of course, the Celebrity J! bit from online videos since I was busy that day) but this Twitter synopsis was absolutely golden. (As many of you know, I love learning bout behind the scenes of shows, so of course this really appealed to me on that level as well). And having never heard Eddie Murphy do Cosby and some kind soul providing it in the comments of the article, well that made my millennium. If I die in the next 5 minutes, I will die a very happy man for having seen how awesome Eddie's impression was. Thank you so much, trainman for that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012