Boardies on the show season 31 - Bonafide thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: Boardies on the show season 31 - Bonafide thread

Post by whoisalexjacob »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
alietr wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Caboom wrote:Eric Swanson, from the show of March 27, posted on the daily thread.
Thanks for the updates Caboom. I don't venture into the game threads much.
Please report to Room 32-1940 of JBoard headquarters and turn in your Boardie identification card immediately, if not sooner.
Maybe im a boardie purist, but I feel that the boardie title should be reserved for people with at least 25 posts made before their appearance. Otherwise it just turns out to be random posters who we never see again.
Even though I know what you're saying, it's still good to include everybody--people may want to go back and see what a particular contestant had to say and I think it's nice to have all the usernames in one place.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
alietr wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Caboom wrote:Eric Swanson, from the show of March 27, posted on the daily thread.
Thanks for the updates Caboom. I don't venture into the game threads much.
Please report to Room 32-1940 of JBoard headquarters and turn in your Boardie identification card immediately, if not sooner.
Maybe im a boardie purist, but I feel that the boardie title should be reserved for people with at least 25 posts made before their appearance. Otherwise it just turns out to be random posters who we never see again.
Even though I know what you're saying, it's still good to include everybody--people may want to go back and see what a particular contestant had to say and I think it's nice to have all the usernames in one place.
I agree, and you never know which ones will end up staying on the board. But if you want to highlight long time boardies, I suppose you could add board join dates to the list of boardies?
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Caboom wrote: I agree, and you never know which ones will end up staying on the board. But if you want to highlight long time boardies, I suppose you could add board join dates to the list of boardies?
I like that idea. Ill think of some classification method.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I disagree. Listing the boardie join dates in the thread highlights even more (at least what used to be called) "slam's rule", namely that many people join the board just to bask in the glory of a win after their taping date. If you want to know this information, all you need to do is click on the boardie's name for the boardie's profile or look on the side of any of the boardie's posts.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

georgespelvin wrote:I disagree. Listing the boardie join dates in the thread highlights even more (at least what used to be called) "slam's rule", namely that many people join the board just to bask in the glory of a win after their taping date. If you want to know this information, all you need to do is click on the boardie's name for the boardie's profile or look on the side of any of the boardie's posts.
I think its important to distinguish the real boardies from the pretenders.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Oh. That makes me feel a little... judged.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Yeah this is dumb. If you don't want to root for someone because they're not a longtime boardie, then don't, but I see no reason that we should single people out as "pretenders".

We want people to join, especially contestants, and showing resentment toward them for not joining the board until after taping doesn't exactly make it feel like the most welcoming place in the world.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Winchell Factor wrote:Oh. That makes me feel a little... judged.
You're one of the boardies that stuck around after your appearance, so you're good. :D
jeff6286 wrote:Yeah this is dumb. If you don't want to root for someone because they're not a longtime boardie, then don't, but I see no reason that we should single people out as "pretenders".

We want people to join, especially contestants, and showing resentment toward them for not joining the board until after taping doesn't exactly make it feel like the most welcoming place in the world.
It's not resentment, more a lack of connection.

I come here every day and root for those I see on here to be on the show. They collectively make up the "boardie" experience. To borrow a term used elsewhere, a weltanschauung .

In my opinion, it feels a bit disingenuous to characterize someone with a couple of posts as a boardie.
The original comment was just meant to be a point of discussion, nothing worthy of great debate.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Unlike Indiana, all are welcome here. I certainly understand Slam's Rule, but there's no such thing as a 'pretender' here.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

alietr wrote:Unlike Indiana, all are welcome here. I certainly understand Slam's Rule, but there's no such thing as a 'pretender' here.
Is Indianapolis one of the audition cities this year?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
alietr wrote:Unlike Indiana, all are welcome here. I certainly understand Slam's Rule, but there's no such thing as a 'pretender' here.
Is Indianapolis one of the audition cities this year?
Fortunately, no. (Well, fortunate in that it'd avoid a big kettle of fish no matter where your thoughts on it lie). There are states that aren't exactly progressive that are hosting auditions, but Indiana isn't one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:You're one of the boardies that stuck around after your appearance, so you're good. :D
Well, thank you. But let's not deceive anyone. When I came here at first, it was about 50% to bask, and 50% to discuss something I was quite interested in. So it's not as if my motives were pure!

I just happen to have liked it here.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

My opinion is that all contestants who self-identify, or post in a way that clearly self-identifies, should be listed. If nothing else, that's an easy criterion to use.

There was someone in my taping group who posted five times and hasn't been back. Even if she isn't really a member of the JBoard community, there's enough potential interest in contestants' comments that I think it's nice to have her (and similar contestants) listed in the Boardies on the Show threads. It doesn't take very much investigation to determine whether someone is a "real" Boardie. (Different people might have different standards in any case. For example, is someone with 288 posts who last posted in June 2014 and last visited in November 2014 a Boardie? A former Boardie?)
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Linear Gnome wrote:My opinion is that all contestants who self-identify, or post in a way that clearly self-identifies, should be listed. If nothing else, that's an easy criterion to use.

There was someone in my taping group who posted five times and hasn't been back. Even if she isn't really a member of the JBoard community, there's enough potential interest in contestants' comments that I think it's nice to have her (and similar contestants) listed in the Boardies on the Show threads. It doesn't take very much investigation to determine whether someone is a "real" Boardie. (Different people might have different standards in any case. For example, is someone with 288 posts who last posted in June 2014 and last visited in November 2014 a Boardie? A former Boardie?)
I would say their body of work definitely gives them boardie status.

As Ive said before, posting everyone's names isn't a big deal. But it is interesting to discuss if a true definition of boardie can be arrived at.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I didn't even know Jboard exsisted until after I had taped my show. And I have ejoyed this board ever since. Let everyone in.
Le Flaneur
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

LeFlaneur wrote:I didn't even know Jboard exsisted until after I had taped my show. And I have ejoyed this board ever since. Let everyone in.
I know I found it by Googling myself after my appearance. Of course, I didn't join officially until three years later.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

LeFlaneur wrote:I didn't even know Jboard exsisted until after I had taped my show. And I have ejoyed this board ever since. Let everyone in.
Yes, let everyone in and give all contestants who appear their fifteen minutes (or more) of fame.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nightreign wrote: I know I found it by Googling myself
My mom told me if I did that too many times I'd go blind.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

dhkendall wrote:
Is that why you wear glasses?
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

dhkendall wrote:
Wait, are you a mennonite too?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.