Sports Jeopardy! 2/25 (Game 23) [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! 2/25 (Game 23) [SPOILERS]

Post by legendneverdies »

Kate Waits, 1988 TofCer and MDM contestant, is a contestant on today's show.
Spoiler
No mention is made of her previous J! appearances. She ends up losing, finishing a distant third going into FJ! on a triple get FJ!. The leader board got a new second place player.
Last edited by trainman on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [SPOILERS] to subject
MarkBarrett

Re: Sports Jeopardy! 2/25(game 23)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks for starting the thread. The previous pattern has been to add [Spoilers] in the subject header so that each poster can fire away with comments. If it is not too much trouble, please edit that in.

The scoreboard puzzle was very easy with, "2015, 42-20" since it is so soon after the victory.

That was great that Kate Waits got another J! appearance since the M$M did not go well and she was not invited to the BotD. I added a line to her J! Archive bio not sure how to list it: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=689 in case another archivist wants to edit it.

She gave her age as 64 and
Spoiler
did what she could against two tough opponents. Credit to Kate for doubling on her one DD play and also getting the correct response on the FJ! clue.

I missed the FJ! clue in talking myself out of the obvious response. Knowing Tom Tupa was a punter led me to a classic case of overthinking as I went with drop kick not processing how he could have been involved with the correct response. Embarrassing to give one away that was so gettable.

Another change on the leaderboard. Lukas had a maximum of $32,300. We'll see if "only" getting $29,002 ends up making a difference at the end of the season.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Lukas is often a trivia teammate of mine when our pub trivia league holds its statewide tournament three times a year. I was thrilled to see him go on a tear in DJ! and come back to win the contest. Here's hoping that $29,002 holds up for another 20 games or so!

Lukas also told me that his game taped on Sunday, January 18. Everybody in the studio missed the epic Seahawks comeback.

MarkBarrett wrote:I missed the FJ! clue in talking myself out of the obvious response.
Is it just me or has the difficulty knob on these second taping session FJ's been turned down a bit? That one felt like a 500 point question.
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

There was really no other answer other than a 2-point conversion for Final Jeopardy. That was super easy. I thought early on the guy in the middle was going to run away with it, but credit to Lukas for catching fire in Double Jeopardy. He had some really good gets. They each had a minor brainfart (Jean Belliveau for Hockey Teams and Tiny Archibald for The Oscars given when not thinking of the category), but that was another well-played game. I was hoping Lukas would go all-out on that final Daily Double to put up a monster score. Don't think he has much of a shot at the finals, but he did edge out Nikhil for 2nd.
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Thanks for starting the thread. The previous pattern has been to add [Spoilers] in the subject header so that each poster can fire away with comments. If it is not too much trouble, please edit that in.

The scoreboard puzzle was very easy with, "2015, 42-20" since it is so soon after the victory.

That was great that Kate Waits got another J! appearance since the M$M did not go well and she was not invited to the BotD. I added a line to her J! Archive bio not sure how to list it: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=689 in case another archivist wants to edit it.

She gave her age as 64 and
Spoiler
did what she could against two tough opponents. Credit to Kate for doubling on her one DD play and also getting the correct response on the FJ! clue.

I missed the FJ! clue in talking myself out of the obvious response. Knowing Tom Tupa was a punter led me to a classic case of overthinking as I went with drop kick not processing how he could have been involved with the correct response. Embarrassing to give one away that was so gettable.

Another change on the leaderboard. Lukas had a maximum of $32,300. We'll see if "only" getting $29,002 ends up making a difference at the end of the season.

I considered drop kick for 15 seconds before realizing tupa was likely the holder and scored on a trick play
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

jjwaymee wrote:Lukas is often a trivia teammate of mine when our pub trivia league holds its statewide tournament three times a year. I was thrilled to see him go on a tear in DJ! and come back to win the contest. Here's hoping that $29,002 holds up for another 20 games or so!

Lukas also told me that his game taped on Sunday, January 18. Everybody in the studio missed the epic Seahawks comeback.
I was in the studio audience for this episode and the one that will broadcast next week. Jimmy excitedly gave us regular updates on the Packers-Seahawks NFC final before each SJ match and during the breaks between the rounds. The guys in the Seahawks jerseys sitting in front of me were going nuts. I don't recall seeing any Packers fans in my part of the audience.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

TerrHeel wrote:There was really no other answer other than a 2-point conversion for Final Jeopardy. That was super easy. I thought early on the guy in the middle was going to run away with it, but credit to Lukas for catching fire in Double Jeopardy. He had some really good gets. They each had a minor brainfart (Jean Belliveau for Hockey Teams and Tiny Archibald for The Oscars given when not thinking of the category), but that was another well-played game. I was hoping Lukas would go all-out on that final Daily Double to put up a monster score. Don't think he has much of a shot at the finals, but he did edge out Nikhil for 2nd.
Agree with super easy FJ. What else could it be? And yep, if you're wagering that much, why not wager it all, especially in Sports J! with the end of the year final.
Sheepin' it real.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The last drop kick in the NFL was converted by Doug Flutie.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Sports Jeopardy! 2/25 (Game 23) [SPOILERS]

Post by trainman »

Noticed Kate's intro referred to "Washington NFL season tickets" rather than the team's nickname.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Scoreboard puzzle is super easy obviously... the tape-to-air turnaround for these shows as of late has been very short.

2/25: 14,500 (FJ: :mrgreen:)
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

trainman wrote:Noticed Kate's intro referred to "Washington NFL season tickets" rather than the team's nickname.
Noticed that too. Was slightly annoyed, but whatever.