Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote: I had the Truman DD, I think Thomas' mind was stuck in the UK from the previous clue.
I did the same thing he did, I saw Wallace and immediately jumped to Wallis Simpson and said Edward VIII, despite that not making any sense. I assume Thomas took the same faulty path, though at least I had the right Edward.
I thought Missouri was mentioned somewhere in the clue? That made it pretty easy to decifer for me.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Category 13 wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote: I had the Truman DD, I think Thomas' mind was stuck in the UK from the previous clue.
I did the same thing he did, I saw Wallace and immediately jumped to Wallis Simpson and said Edward VIII, despite that not making any sense. I assume Thomas took the same faulty path, though at least I had the right Edward.
I thought Missouri was mentioned somewhere in the clue? That made it pretty easy to decifer for me.
Yes. That's how I got it: Independence, MO.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

bpmod wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Yes. That's how I got it: Independence, MO.

Brian
I don't think Missouri was in the clue, just Independence.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

I ran the DJ category about the human body. My dad was a doctor, so I know lots of medical type stuff.

Guessed Tom Wolfe for FJ. Right idea, wrong writer.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

I heard Leslie miss pronounce 2 answers that Alex accepted. One was Muck-a-Lucks. I cant remember the other.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Today's final reminded me of the current thread where people were asking how to get up to speed with literature questions. The answer is what is read books . As many as you can. Of all types . Looking at lists of best sellers doesen't stick. Read the damn book. You are welcome
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

PeteMoss wrote:I heard Leslie miss pronounce 2 answers that Alex accepted. One was Muck-a-Lucks. I cant remember the other.
I wondered about that too. Less Stroud doesn't pronounce it like that.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

billy pilgrim wrote:Today's final reminded me of the current thread where people were asking how to get up to speed with literature questions. The answer is what is read books . As many as you can. Of all types . Looking at lists of best sellers doesen't stick. Read the damn book. You are welcome
Don't tell them this, but I've never read the book and still got this one!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:Today's final reminded me of the current thread where people were asking how to get up to speed with literature questions. The answer is what is read books . As many as you can. Of all types . Looking at lists of best sellers doesen't stick. Read the damn book. You are welcome
I've never read the book, and I would've gotten it had my brain not decided that the FJ! think music is kryptonite.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I looked up pictures of oyster forks and pickle forks, and oyster came somewhat closer to matching the picture in the clue than pickle. Pickle forks more often have two tines and oyster forks more often have three, at least according to Google images; the fork in the clue had three. Oyster and pickle both fit the briny deep, although with pickles it seems a kind of wordplay and with oysters it's more literal. Both have six letters. I was hoping for a reversal for Jose.

Too bad for Jose they uncovered all the clues. He took the lead in hidden gems but lost on the last clue.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ. Was cult classic of my ill-spent 70's youth. Cover-to-cover read, over & over. Idolized the hip culture. Wanted to be a rock star. Thank GOD that's over!

46r + LT: Phileas Fogg (knew it was a miss when I heard "Phineas"); DOOM (wasted hours of my formative years condensed into a 12-s spot on game show!); Charles II (Merry Monarch; Nell Gwynn)

5/5 on 'systems' and "borders Brazil"; took 4/5 on "Gems Inside" and "Stupid Answers." Notably J! loves those itty-bitty South American nations, Guyana (FKA British Guyana), Fr Guyana and Suriname (FKA Dutch Guyana) keep coming back to haunt contestants. Rio de la Plata in Uruguay, again... Benny Goodman's clarinet, Les Paul's Guitar and Woody Guthries' itinerary again as well, and Jamie Lee Curtis, Sara Michelle Geller and Neil Patrick Harris are practically pre-calls for the '3-named' category now. NHO Jackie Earl Haley in Watchmen, didn't Watch it. Strong game, all good players. Cleared the Boards and AT was pleased as punch about that; triple-get on FJ made it anyone's game, each of these players would easily have been the champ, matched against the talent lately! :D

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had shrimp fork for the pickle.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

BADuBois wrote:Instaget was a FJ for me, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was an FJ for all contestants.

Funny... today's NYT had a different clue than what appeared on the "Jeopardy!" website. Odd.
Spoiler about the NYT Crossword Puzzle for March 3,
Spoiler
The subject of today's FJ! is the theme of today's NYT Crossword
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Leander wrote:
bpmod wrote: Yes. That's how I got it: Independence, MO.

Brian
I don't think Missouri was in the clue, just Independence.
Missouri was implied. It's like saying a clue that says "Los Angeles" doesn't have "California" in the clue.
zakharov wrote:
Ditto.

But I do have the Criterion DVD about...10-12 feet from me. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

HISTORICAL ROMANCES Daily Double: While courting, he had a standing invitation for Sunday dinner at the Wallaces' home in Independence

Like others I double failed this one in somehow never spotting "Independence" in the wording and processing Wallace as Wallis. At least I guessed Edward VIII unlike Thomas who managed a triple fail on the clue. Nice job all of you alert enough to get Truman.

Jose will have a few spots to revisit in not getting the win. Having it happen on day 3 should help ease the pain.

It was nice to see some see-saw action in the last category of the DJ! round.

The FJ! category had me try five precalls of: Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities, The Fountainhead, 1984 and The Satanic Verses. The clue had me go right to Thompson to lock it in. For boardies I anticipated a Wolfe/Kesey mention and after reading the opening posts I will have to include Kerouac on the poll it seems.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

econgator wrote: No clue on FJ!. WAGged Kerouac.
Me too.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:HISTORICAL ROMANCES Daily Double: While courting, he had a standing invitation for Sunday dinner at the Wallaces' home in Independence

Like others I double failed this one in somehow never spotting "Independence" in the wording and processing Wallace as Wallis. At least I guessed Edward VIII unlike Thomas who managed a triple fail on the clue. Nice job all of you alert enough to get Truman.
I didn't process "Independence" in part because I was also still stuck in "royalty whose names and lives I will never remember".

Another brainfart was briefly forgetting what "crustacean" meant long enough not to get lobster. Had no idea there were so many types of forks, but mixing it up with "tuning fork" was clever on the writers' part. Almost as good as the Chile/Chilly pun.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

zakharov wrote:
Same here. Never read the book, never saw the movie--think I did see the trailer for the movie, so maybe that's how I got desert+drugs= Thompson.
Sheepin' it real.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Best.FJ.Ever.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

+1 for indignation at "muckaluck" being accepted.

I knew it was Fear and Loathing immediately but inexplicably drew a blank on the author. I said Burroughs just to have a weirdo but I knew it was wrong. Cripes.

5/5 on Brazil, many do, and not chilly. Look at me go.

That FJ will haunt me though.