Wednesday, March 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bleezy
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bleezy »

I thought Jules Verne 20000 Leagues Under the Sea was one of the easiest daily doubles ever!

I laughed out loud because I had the exact same series of 3 wrong guesses as the contestants when the "Joshua" question came up.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,800
40 R/4 W; Psalms was serious negbait for Proverbs with the "blessed are..." beginning
DD: 3/3; I hemmed and hawed between Exodus and Numbers for several seconds before choosing Exodus
FJ: Instaget; I think the easiest way to miss this one would be to equate "comedy album" with stand-up.
LT: Exodus (DD), burst
C: Ang Lee

My $.02 on Yankovic(h): I am surprised it was accepted. People have brought up Lech Walesa, but that comparison seems inapposite. Names of foreigners--not to be confused with foreign names--are usually given a pass so long as the pronunciation more or less follows an English phonetic reading of that name. Names of famous Americans, on the other hand, are given less leeway. "Weird Al" has been famous in the U.S. for more than three decades, and he has always pronounced his last name in the same way. (For that matter, the only other famous Yankovic, polka legend Frankie, pronounces his name the same way.) To add a letter to the spelling that changes the pronunciation of the name to something it theoretically could be but definitely is not seems a bridge too far.

Regardless of all that, congratulations to Kristin! Long may you reign!
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote: When the FJ category came up, I said aloud "Unless it's Mandatory Fun, I don't have a hope in hell."
Same. "Welp, I know exactly one 2014 album..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Yankovic was breaking out when I was in high school. Nice to learn he's still doing well.

The only comedy video lately I knew to have gone "viral" was the calling-out of Bill Cosby one, by that other guy.
I'm smart and I want respect.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Lefty wrote:Yankovic was breaking out when I was in high school. Nice to learn he's still doing well.

The only comedy video lately I knew to have gone "viral" was the calling-out of Bill Cosby one, by that other guy.
Then you must view the videos that were released - all 8 of them are worthy of "viral" status and are among his best work IMHO.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Lefty wrote:Yankovic was breaking out when I was in high school. Nice to learn he's still doing well.
Found this interesting tidbit on his Wikipedia page:

"the song "Word Crimes" (a parody of Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines") reached #39 on the Top 100 singles for the same week; this is Yankovic's fourth Top 40 single, and makes him only the third artist, after Michael Jackson and Madonna, to have a Top 40 single in each decade since the 1980s."
Sheepin' it real.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Found this interesting tidbit on his Wikipedia page:

"the song "Word Crimes" (a parody of Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines") reached #39 on the Top 100 singles for the same week; this is Yankovic's fourth Top 40 single, and makes him only the third artist, after Michael Jackson and Madonna, to have a Top 40 single in each decade since the 1980s."
Now THAT would be a good FJ with a twist.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Donald Glover, of 30 Rock and Community fame, raps under the pseudonym Childish Gambino, so I guess that's an alternative solo comedian.

His lyrics are more serious than comedic, however (and are very good – at least those in his first album).
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

St. Pierre and Miquelon is probably far easier if you're Canadian (as I am).

Like a couple of other commenters, I was worried by the FJ category, but then when the clue came up, it was easy for me.

Joe Sakic has probably never been a correct FJ response, but I think there's a very good chance they would accept "Sakich". All that matters is: Could the name conceivably be spelled that way? And I think the answer is "yes" -- plenty of names ending in "ch" are pronounced with a K sound. Bloch pronounced "block", Heinrich pronounced "hyne-rick", Murdoch pronounced "murdock", Lech pronounced "lek", and so on.

It's not about how Weird Al spells his own name. Of course that question has only one correct answer, but that's not the relevant question here.

By Jeopardy! rules, they should accept "Yangkovick" or "Jankovic" (some names spelled with J are pronounced with a Y) as well as many other variations. Even "Yangkeauvick" since "eau" can sometimes denote an O sound.

And congrats, Kristin! I lived in Newark, DE, from 2010 to 2014. Roger Craig's first appearances on the show happened when I was brand new to that city.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:My $.02 on Yankovic(h): I am surprised it was accepted. People have brought up Lech Walesa, but that comparison seems inapposite. Names of foreigners--not to be confused with foreign names--are usually given a pass so long as the pronunciation more or less follows an English phonetic reading of that name. Names of famous Americans, on the other hand, are given less leeway. "Weird Al" has been famous in the U.S. for more than three decades, and he has always pronounced his last name in the same way. (For that matter, the only other famous Yankovic, polka legend Frankie, pronounces his name the same way.) To add a letter to the spelling that changes the pronunciation of the name to something it theoretically could be but definitely is not seems a bridge too far.
If we're only dealing with Americans, consider Eli Wallach and Dr. Heimlich.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Is Kristin's husband 6-time champ Justin? If so, then wow, even happier to see Kristin win. I was a big fan of Justin during his run.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:To those that thought Miquelon was overvalued, it was like spotting you "Sao Tome" and expecting you to come up with Principe, or spotting you "Trinidad" to come up with "Tobago". If those are hard for you too, then yes Miquelon is overvalued, but having geography in my uber-wheelhouse it's hard for me to judge.
I disagree. I hae heard of Trinidad and Tobago and Sao Tome and Principe several times, but Saint-Pierre & Miquelon has only one other hit in the Archive. And there it was "say 'France' given two obviously French-sounding names".
MarkBarrett wrote:Kristin - I have seen some spelling your name here as "Kristen." If you had a dollar for every time that has happened in your life how much money would you have?
Probably a lot fewer than the number of people who have spelled my name "Bobbie" and/or asked me how to spell my last name. Um, like the freaking bird that's been the symbol of NBC since forever?!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Then you must view the videos that were released - all 8 of them are worthy of "viral" status and are among his best work IMHO.
I don't think I have seen any of them yet. All in all, I was very disappointed with Mandatory Fun in comparison to Alpocalypse, but it's growing on me.

The first time I played Alpocalypse on my bus, the kids were rolling in the aisle laughing hysterically. When I play Mandatory Fun, it gets a few giggles.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Then you must view the videos that were released - all 8 of them are worthy of "viral" status and are among his best work IMHO.
I don't think I have seen any of them yet. All in all, I was very disappointed with Mandatory Fun in comparison to Alpocalypse, but it's growing on me.

The first time I played Alpocalypse on my bus, the kids were rolling in the aisle laughing hysterically. When I play Mandatory Fun, it gets a few giggles.

Brian
Anytime you tell kids something is mandatory, they're not going to like it.
Sheepin' it real.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

jeff6286 wrote:
You can say it's variable, but I firmly believe that in games with scores like this, it is much more common for 2nd place to bet at least enough to cover third than for 2nd to bet zero. You're basically throwing away the chance to win on a triple stumper by making that 3201 bet, which is a much more likely path to victory for 3rd place. (Well, you can still win on a triple stumper if second makes the fairly common suicidal all-in wager, but in that case, you win with the 2800 bet the same as you win with the 3201 bet.)
From Jim's perspective, Penny's realistic bets are
All-in or close to it --$0 on a miss
6001 to cover Jim's double up $6399 on a miss
2600 to cover Kristin's current score $9800 on a miss
0 (obv 12,400 on a miss)

Jim can cover the first three with a 601 min bet and 2799 max bet.

Interestingly if Kristin tries to just cover Jim's double up she bets 3401 which leaves 11599. So perhaps Jim's optimal range is 2400-2799.

He should win triple stumpers and still almost all W-W-R. He's very likely not winning when either of the two ladies is correct regardless of his bet.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Al is one of the quickest minds in comedy. He's a regular on a podcast that most of you will hate, Comedy Bang Bang, and holds his own with "real" comedians. I think Mandatory Fun is his best in a long time, but the best is truly Weird Al in 3D (or whatever Weird Al came out when you were 9).
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

cosmos wrote:I pre-called Horatio Hornblower yesterday!! Although I only predicted "soon" when it actually turned out to be "tomorrow." :D
I had to chuckle when that clue came up. If the show were live I'd say the writers were following the board and messing with us. Perhaps tonight we'll get the trifecta with an "alas poor Yorick" clue.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

All right, lots to catch up on! Thanks for the support! Here we go . . .
UniquePerspective wrote:Would they have just taken "Weird Al"? I might have gone with that because I wasn't super confident on the spelling.
I was wondering the same thing, since I couldn't remember if it was pronounced Yanko-VICK or Yanko-VITCH, and therefore the c/ch question. But they tell you to be as specific as you feel you need to be, and I figured that "ch" would cover both "ck" and "tch" sounds.
Golf wrote:Kristin played a solid DJ although wasn't at all fond of either of the challenger's wagers on the DD's in DJ. Gotta take retroactive advantage of those precious low level DD's Kristin!
I don't disagree, but considering I had just been in the hole, I didn't want to risk heading too far back that way again. I figured I was more than doubling the value of the clue.
Category 13 wrote:The pre-FJ scores made it easy (for me anyway) to figure out the strategies for 2nd and 3rd place. Penny made a great wager in which she would have won on a TS or a singleton miss by Kristin.
Jim under bet by 1000 IMHO. Not a terrible wager, but he couldn't have beaten Penny if she had wagered zero.
I don't remember if Jim mentioned his wagering strategy. Penny said that she had been more concerned about covering Jim than anything I was going to do.
dhkendall wrote:To those that thought Miquelon was overvalued, it was like spotting you "Sao Tome" and expecting you to come up with Principe, or spotting you "Trinidad" to come up with "Tobago". If those are hard for you too, then yes Miquelon is overvalued, but having geography in my uber-wheelhouse it's hard for me to judge.
Geography's my wheelhouse too, and I don't think they're on the same level, since the others are names of countries -- so they come up both when you're reviewing countries and when you're reviewing capitals.
MarkBarrett wrote:Kristin - I have seen some spelling your name here as "Kristen." If you had a dollar for every time that has happened in your life how much money would you have?

Congrats on the run with the Directors and the victory. Tonight was a case when there was next to no doubt the FJ! wager would be 9801. Way to complete the spousal J! champions exacta. Has Justin playfully teased you about "only" winning $24,801 while he won $30K in his debut?
I feel like over the years, it would quite possibly add up to about last night's winnings, especially if you included all the other misspellings (-an, -yn, -ian, Ch-, C-, combinations of those, others that are completely different names, etc.). Justin is super supportive and proud and wouldn't even go there jokingly.

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words! I hope you enjoy tonight's game!
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Another big husband and wife champion duo were Richard and Rani White. Both were undefeated champions on $ale of the Century, Richard winning $120K in 1986(Daytime, so it won't be seen on GSN anytime soon) under the WInner's Board format and Rani winning $140K in Spring 1988 during the Winner's Big MOney Game format. Another four or five wins and the Sausville's will be another $100K each husband and wife game show duo.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Kristin! I knew we could count on you. It's funny how you can tell by the pacing that someone is definitely going to run a category. I could just tell you were going to do so. And then you were off and running. It takes a lot for me to have to root against a Bethesdan, though. Congratulations, Jeopardy Champ. Looking forward to seeing some more wins from you.

I managed to do 50 by 40. I treated myself to a trip to Alaska a few months before I turned 40.