Monday, March 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, March 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

I had no idea what her last name is. But a Spanish name led me to only one person and it wasn't Diego.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Didn't know her last name, but easily got FJ. My now 11 year old daughter couldn't get enough of Dora back in the day.
Sheepin' it real.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

I was multitasking, trying to get a moonbounce working on our back porch, so I came in after the answer was revealed. My first thought was, "I have no idea who the heck this is, Marquez???". Then I thought, fool, you were outside when the category was revealed, get closer to the TV and see what it is. Once I saw it was Kids' TV, I instantly narrowed it down to either the correct answer or that character's cousin who is on another show, before settling on the correct answer due to the year given.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BADuBois wrote:Good job Kristin! Hope you beat hubby's record... :D

Flubbed FJ... that's what happens you don't have kids in the house.
Regarding your second comment, I'm in the same boat and feel like the only guy in America who had no clue on this one (well, one of only two if you're confessing).

Regarding your first comment, how would you like to be discussing family bragging rights around THAT kitchen table??!!

Go, Kristin!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I don't have the text of the clue in front of me, but what was the reason that "transistor" wasn't a correct response for the Daily Double?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My first thought on FJ was Carmen Sandiego and the I realized her last name was--of course--Sandiego. :)

Dora came pretty quickly after that realization.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote:I don't have the text of the clue in front of me, but what was the reason that "transistor" wasn't a correct response for the Daily Double?
Basically it said they sold a certain number in one year and then sold a much higher number in a later year.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote:I don't have the text of the clue in front of me, but what was the reason that "transistor" wasn't a correct response for the Daily Double?
It was easier to copy the wording from Game Show Kingdom and it should be close enough:

From 1947-1953, U.S. production of these devices rose from fewer than 200K to more than 7M a yr.
darrenshea
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by darrenshea »

I was hoping to be able to recover some off the other categories, but Kristin's buzzer skills were too strong. I knew all the Hitchcock clues, but I couldn't get the buzzer victory until the last one. I was also holding out hope for a tougher FJ category/clue...
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Coryat: $35,000
43 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget. I would have been shocked by anything other than a triple get on this one.
LT: suicide (squeeze), The Boston Globe (DD), television sets (DD), Margaret Thatcher & Queen Elizabeth II
C: Socrates, Douglas MacArthur

One of my misses came from freezing on "deer in the headlights." That's ironic right there.

My personal-best FJ! streak is now up to nine.

I was proud of Darren for the strong DD wager, although he probably should have just gone all in given that there was no way he was coming back if (when) he missed.

Congrats again to Kristin. You are making us all very proud. By the way, since my wife--also a stay-at-home mother of two--asked, did you have a career prior to having kids?
darrenshea

Post by darrenshea »

I heard "device", and my mind just didn't leap to television sets... I think if the numbers were left very vague, my "transistor" answer might have flown, but they were specific. Alex mentioned in the post-game chat that he'd recently hosted a History of Television event in LA, and that factoid was mentioned in the script for it.

What can you do?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

zakharov wrote:While they may have avoided it until the end, I must compliment the contestants on completing a sports category. Shameful not knowing what a suicide squeeze is, but I'll let it slide this time :)
Well, of course. If you don't slide on a suicide squeeze, you're just showing off.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Kristin. Wow. Some impressive gets in this game. I wish I'd written them down. You've always seemed like a good player--even in that painful second match. But this is the first time I felt that you would wipe the floor with me if I went up against you.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I had never heard of Dora The Explorer before.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Ongoing congratulations Kristin! I'm rooting hard for you. I feel like I have been somehow the karmic reason for you getting on the show:

Back in November my wife taped on Jeopardy and I wrote a note here saying I was hoping for her and envious and proud and a bunch of other mixed emotions. You all as a community were really supportive of me (and my wife Cyndi, known as cmp146 here), which I very much appreciate. Kristin pm'ed me saying she knows the feeling of a spouse being on Jeopardy and if I wanted to talk about it, we could do that. I pm'ed her back but didn't get a response for some time. In between the two messages, she got the call from Culver city...

Hope you (almost) break the Sony bank Kristin! Just save enough for me to get on.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

darrenshea wrote:I was hoping to be able to recover some off the other categories, but Kristin's buzzer skills were too strong. I knew all the Hitchcock clues, but I couldn't get the buzzer victory until the last one. I was also holding out hope for a tougher FJ category/clue...
Darren, thanks for checking in. You made a strong showing and a valiant attempt at a comeback. You were clearly shaken by missing that DD. I think I would've been fighting back tears, honestly. But you got back in the game and showed us you still had a shot. Kristin's knowledge and playing experience were a wicked combo to go up against. (Which just vindicates the big wager, even if it didn't work out.)

I was rooting for Kristin since she's the local JBoard talent (and, as I'm sure you know, an absolute delight, AND married to the wildly likeable Justin). But her win in this game definitely produced mixed emotions. I was glad for her but felt awful for you. My wife had the same reaction. She's a big Kristin fan, but her first words after the win were "Poor Darren."

I was relieved for you in a way when FJ was a triple get. That meant missing the DD hadn't cost you the game. Still, no matter how you slice it, it's rough getting as far as you did and going home without the prize. Against different opponents, I'd tend to bet on you. This just wasn't your night.

Tangential question if you're up for it: If you had a nickel for every time some goofball called you "Derwood," how rich would you be? Or are you too young to have been afflicted by Bewitched references?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

darrenshea wrote:
I heard "device", and my mind just didn't leap to television sets... I think if the numbers were left very vague, my "transistor" answer might have flown, but they were specific. Alex mentioned in the post-game chat that he'd recently hosted a History of Television event in LA, and that factoid was mentioned in the script for it.

What can you do?
Welcome to JBoard, Darren, and congratulations on playing a good game!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

harrumph wrote:I had never heard of Dora The Explorer before.
I envy you.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

darrenshea wrote:
I heard "device", and my mind just didn't leap to television sets... I think if the numbers were left very vague, my "transistor" answer might have flown, but they were specific.
I thought it was a good answer. TVs didn't immediately come to mind for me, either.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Did anyone else notice that the "impaled by a javelin" clue came up in last Thursday's Daytime J! (Thrown Of Games, $400)?
I feel like there was a similar question in the 2014 Jeopardy! desk calendar too, because I could have sworn that was at least the third reference I'd seen. J-Archive has plenty of results for "javelin" but only the one from my game refers specifically to someone getting impaled with one.
darrenshea

Post by darrenshea »

opusthepenguin wrote:
darrenshea wrote:I was hoping to be able to recover some off the other categories, but Kristin's buzzer skills were too strong. I knew all the Hitchcock clues, but I couldn't get the buzzer victory until the last one. I was also holding out hope for a tougher FJ category/clue...
Darren, thanks for checking in. You made a strong showing and a valiant attempt at a comeback. You were clearly shaken by missing that DD. I think I would've been fighting back tears, honestly. But you got back in the game and showed us you still had a shot. Kristin's knowledge and playing experience were a wicked combo to go up against. (Which just vindicates the big wager, even if it didn't work out.)

I was rooting for Kristin since she's the local JBoard talent (and, as I'm sure you know, an absolute delight, AND married to the wildly likeable Justin). But her win in this game definitely produced mixed emotions. I was glad for her but felt awful for you. My wife had the same reaction. She's a big Kristin fan, but her first words after the win were "Poor Darren."

I was relieved for you in a way when FJ was a triple get. That meant missing the DD hadn't cost you the game. Still, no matter how you slice it, it's rough getting as far as you did and going home without the prize. Against different opponents, I'd tend to bet on you. This just wasn't your night.

Tangential question if you're up for it: If you had a nickel for every time some goofball called you "Derwood," how rich would you be? Or are you too young to have been afflicted by Bewitched references?
Thanks for the kind words! I did the best I could, but as you say, it just wasn't my day.

I used to get a few "Derwood"s when I was much younger (and people still watched the show), but these days, it's just one good friend who does it anymore...