TD 236: Wrestlemania (CLOSED, REVEAL TO COME)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

HeathenBenny
Working On The Age Requirement

TD 236: Wrestlemania (CLOSED, REVEAL TO COME)

Post by HeathenBenny »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLeUYcPPZDA

Ladies and gentlemen...from the thousands in attendance, to the MILLIONS watching on pay-per-view and WWE Network, to the DOZENS here on J-Board...WELCOME TO THINK DIFFERENT 236: WRESTLEMANIA! All of these questions are based on WWE performers slated to appear in this year’s Wrestlemania, but even if you don’t know your sleeper hold from your figure-four, you can still do well--all of the questions are tangential in nature.

DISCLAIMER: I put this off until the last minute because a lot of personal things have been going on in my life. I’ve been struggling through some stuff, but things are getting better. So these questions are mostly pretty simple. There’s a little less thinking about correct answers and more thinking about uncommon ones. This could be either very good or very bad for you, depending on your skillset. I've also included some fun video clips for your viewing pleasure.

The Rules:

Please send your entries in as a PM to me. DO NOT put them in this thread.

The deadline for submission is when the bell rings for the first match of Wrestlemania 31 on Sunday, March 29. the end of the month, March 31 at 11:59 EST.

The object of the game is to provide the least popular correct answer for each question. Your score for each question will equal the number of people, including yourself, that gave your answer. Incorrect answers will receive double the points of the most popular answer, also known as the SHEIK, for that question. The lowest final score wins the JBoard Heavyweight Championship, which will be a poorly made image Photoshopped for the winner. Ties will be broken by the amount of singletons, and then by submission order, because there shall only be one title holder.

No outside research is permitted -- you can only use the knowledge you have in your brain. If you unintentionally stumble upon a better answer in your travels this week, feel free to submit it.

You can (and should) ELBOW DROP one question to get a score of zero for it. It’s best to use this on a question you don’t know, or think you have a common answer for.

If you have absolutely no idea, you can use SHEIK. The Iron Sheik can answer one question on your behalf, but he’ll always pick the most popular answer, so only use him if you have to.

Please PM me for clarifications as to avoid spoilers. If there’s any relevant information I need to add, although there likely won’t be, I’ll edit the question and append the clarification to the thread.

1) THE ROCK: In 2014, Dwayne Johnson, who portrays The Rock in WWE, played the title role in the film Hercules. Name another child of Jupiter OR name a child of Zeus, Jupiter’s Greek equivalent. Note that, even if they represent the same person, Greek and Roman names count as different children. (21 answers)

2) JOHN CENA: A month after winning the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania 21 a decade ago, John Cena released his debut rap album You Can’t See Me, to mixed reviews. Name a performer to win a Grammy for Rap Album, Rap Performance, or Rap Song. (33 answers)

3) RUSEV: The current United States champion is, ironically,the most anti-American wrestler in years. He’s a Bulgarian expat who lives in Moscow and champions Vladimir Putin as his hero. Name a post-Soviet state. (15 answers)

4) THE UNDERTAKER: The 50-year old Undertaker hasn’t needed an undertaker yet, as he’s still fighting in the WWE (albeit only once a year). Name one of the top 10 leading causes of death in America, according to the CDC.

5) ROMAN REIGNS: Despite being the fastest rising star in the company and the #1 contender to the WWE Championship, there is absolutely nothing interesting about Roman Reigns. Name one of the top 10 longest reigning British monarchs. GET IT BECAUSE HIS LAST NAME.

6) SETH ROLLINS: Perhaps one of the most hated wrestlers in recent memory, Seth Rollins is the current Mr. Money In The Bank. This entitles him to one WWE Championship match whenever he wants to cash it in. He was also the victim of a naked picture leak recently, but I’m not going to stoop to that level in such a classy competition as Think Different. So on the topic of money, name one of the 20 most profitable companies in the world in the last year.

7) DARREN YOUNG: The LGBT community, of which I am a part, gained a new (publicly known) member in 2013 when Darren Young came out to a TMZ cameraman. Earlier this week, a Gallup poll revealed the metropolitan areas with the highest percentage of LGBT residents. Name one of the top 10.

8) BROCK LESNAR: Alright, I lied: there is one WWE question in here. Besides the current champion, Brock Lesnar, name someone who has held a major singles title in the WWE. This includes the WWE Championship, the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, the Undisputed WWE Championship, or the WWE's ECW Championship, as well as any of these titles branded with the name WWF or WWWF. (Many, many answers)

Again, sorry about the short and sweet one this week, for those of you that wanted a bigger challenge. Hope you enjoy the added strategy as well.
Last edited by HeathenBenny on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
Aspiring sportscaster. If you like sports, you might like my twitter: www.twitter.com/bennybxb
"I don’t spend any time whatsoever thinking about what might have been." ~Alex Trebek
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 236: Wrestlemania

Post by jeff6286 »

For #8, are WWF champions excluded, meaning does it have to be someone who held a title after the name change to WWE?
HeathenBenny

Post by HeathenBenny »

jeff6286 wrote:For #8, are WWF champions excluded, meaning does it have to be someone who held a title after the name change to WWE?
WWF champions count, as well as WWWF champions.
Aspiring sportscaster. If you like sports, you might like my twitter: www.twitter.com/bennybxb
"I don’t spend any time whatsoever thinking about what might have been." ~Alex Trebek
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Love this. I was a huge wrestling fan, but this new stuff just seems childish.
It would have been nice if you couldve incorporated nwo and more of the attitude era.

Its still real to me dammit.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
HeathenBenny

Post by HeathenBenny »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:Love this. I was a huge wrestling fan, but this new stuff just seems childish.
It would have been nice if you couldve incorporated nwo and more of the attitude era.

The WWE likes to pretend the Attitude Era never happened. Except in the Monday Night War series on WWE Network, which was fantastic. Compelling stuff. It really is for the kids now, because that's where the money is. It's not in the 24+ range anymore, it's 16 and below they target. Get them hooked young. And the internet commenters moan and cry about it, and pine for the days of chair shots to the head and bloody foreheads, but they keep watching, and Vinny Mac pockets another half mil a day. Say what you will about the company, but their strategy is working.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Do you have to come out to be a member of the LGBT community?
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

HeathenBenny wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:Love this. I was a huge wrestling fan, but this new stuff just seems childish.

The WWE likes to pretend the Attitude Era never happened. Except in the Monday Night War series on WWE Network, which was fantastic. Compelling stuff. It really is for the kids now, because that's where the money is. It's not in the 24+ range anymore, it's 16 and below they target. Get them hooked young. And the internet commenters moan and cry about it, and pine for the days of chair shots to the head and bloody foreheads, but they keep watching, and Vinny Mac pockets another half mil a day. Say what you will about the company, but their strategy is working.
The problem with the kiddy stuff is that they decided to focus on that since Linda Mac decided to run for the Senate. Unfortunately, kids drive merchandise sales, which is why rasslin has sucked and I haven't watched it since about 2002.
Last edited by ihavejeoprosy on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
HeathenBenny

Post by HeathenBenny »

Vanya wrote:Do you have to come out to be a member of the LGBT community?
I was thinking in the sense of public acknowledgement, but no, you don't have to be out, not at all.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

For #3 are you asking for a current nation that was once part of the USSR?
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Are Greek and Roman names of the same child of Zeus/Jupiter considered the same response or different responses?
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I have a weird question that would hint towards my answer. Can I PM a question?~
HeathenBenny

Post by HeathenBenny »

schoe wrote:Are Greek and Roman names of the same child of Zeus/Jupiter considered the same response or different responses?
Different responses. Should have made that clear.
MitchO wrote:I have a weird question that would hint towards my answer. Can I PM a question?~
Mitch asked if "children of Zeus/Jupiter" that weren't part of the original myths counted. They do not.
HeathenBenny

Post by HeathenBenny »

Magna wrote:For #3 are you asking for a current nation that was once part of the USSR?
Yes, that's correct.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

HeathenBenny wrote:Mitch asked if "children of Zeus/Jupiter" that weren't part of the original myths counted. They do not.
Specifically, I wanted to use the fact that DC Comics recently revealed a "retcon" that said Wonder Woman is the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta. :) Hey, if we're gonna have a TD about wrestling, I had to throw (one of) the other geeky things I know too much about :)
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Here's a video to get yall in the wrassling spirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

That video is so inspired (I saw it before it was linked here). That is, however, not the best frame for them to choose to display as a still :p
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I don't understand question #5. Is this asking for companies that had the largest profits overall, the largest profit margin, or something else? For example, suppose SuperCo had $10 billion in expenses and $50 million in profits, and Mom-n-Pop Inc. had $100,000 in expenses but had profits of $1 million. Which one would be more profitable? Also, could you identify a source?
HeathenBenny

Post by HeathenBenny »

Magna wrote:I don't understand question #5. Is this asking for companies that had the largest profits overall, the largest profit margin, or something else? For example, suppose SuperCo had $10 billion in expenses and $50 million in profits, and Mom-n-Pop Inc. had $100,000 in expenses but had profits of $1 million. Which one would be more profitable? Also, could you identify a source?
My source is 24/7 Wall Street. This is based on net profit, i.e. after expenses.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

HeathenBenny wrote:This is based on net profit, i.e. after expenses.
So, highest total profit?
HeathenBenny

Post by HeathenBenny »

Magna wrote:
HeathenBenny wrote:This is based on net profit, i.e. after expenses.
So, highest total profit?
Basically.