what city did you choose for the test?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What audition city did you choose for the April 2015 test?

Boston, MA
34%
Tampa, FL
10%
Atlanta, GA
13%
Kansas City, MO
14%
San Francisco, CA
9%
Los Angeles, CA
13%
Seattle, WA
6%

Total votes: 77

Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: what city did you choose for the test?

Post by Andromus »

I went with Boston, but I really hope something else closer opens up -- I'm in southern PA and was hoping for Washington DC or Philadelphia to be on the list.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Are there dates associated with these cities?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Johnblue wrote:Are there dates associated with these cities?
Yes.

Are they going to tell us those dates before we pass the test?

No.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Tampa's a 2-hour drive for me.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

It's a little shocking to see three options on the west coast (Seattle-LA-SF), only Boston really on the east coast, Atlanta and Tampa really way east, if not exactly east coast, and only KC in the heartland. No Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Albuquerque, or any of a score of other major cities that would probably be more convenient to many, many wannabes. I live in the Cleveland area and in past years have chosen auditions in Detroit (less that 200 mi.), Indianapolis (350), and Cleveland itself that I can think of offhand. This year the closest is Boston at 650+ miles. That is a heckuva trip, not to mention that anyone who chooses that city goes into the pool with all other contestants from the entire northeast who pass and decide to go to their closest city. I already don't like the odds very much here.

They said they might add some other cities. Sure as heck hope so.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote:It's a little shocking to see three options on the west coast (Seattle-LA-SF), only Boston really on the east coast, Atlanta and Tampa really way east, if not exactly east coast, and only KC in the heartland. No Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Albuquerque, or any of a score of other major cities that would probably be more convenient to many, many wannabes. I live in the Cleveland area and in past years have chosen auditions in Detroit (less that 200 mi.), Indianapolis (350), and Cleveland itself that I can think of offhand. This year the closest is Boston at 650+ miles. That is a heckuva trip, not to mention that anyone who chooses that city goes into the pool with all other contestants from the entire northeast who pass and decide to go to their closest city. I already don't like the odds very much here.

Denver had their own audition on Dec 09, so that explains that one. http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2497
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I haven't registered yet, but when I do I will choose Atlanta. I live about three hours from there right now and we will be moving this summer and will only be about 1 1/2 hours away. So if by some miracle I get an audition, I can go over there and back in one day, though I'd probably get a hotel (which I can get for free) if it starts early in the day.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

John Boy wrote:It's a little shocking to see three options on the west coast (Seattle-LA-SF), only Boston really on the east coast, Atlanta and Tampa really way east, if not exactly east coast, and only KC in the heartland. No Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Albuquerque, or any of a score of other major cities that would probably be more convenient to many, many wannabes. I live in the Cleveland area and in past years have chosen auditions in Detroit (less that 200 mi.), Indianapolis (350), and Cleveland itself that I can think of offhand. This year the closest is Boston at 650+ miles. That is a heckuva trip, not to mention that anyone who chooses that city goes into the pool with all other contestants from the entire northeast who pass and decide to go to their closest city. I already don't like the odds very much here.

Someone with more time on their hands than I should graph out how many people are x hours from each site and all those other stats that highlight the injustice.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

I don't have it so bad, as Phoenix is close to L.A., reasonably. Too bad there isn't a Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver-ish area.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:

Someone with more time on their hands than I should graph out how many people are x hours from each site and all those other stats that highlight the injustice.
I'm actually closer to Atlanta, timewise (about 55 minutes by air from KMLB to KATL).
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

dhkendall wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Are there dates associated with these cities?
Yes.

Are they going to tell us those dates before we pass the test?

No.

Well, that's a crappy way to run things. I chose ATL since that's closest to me but its a 6 hour drive.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I would suspect they have a timeframe for the cities, but not specific dates at this point.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
thatsnoternie

Post by thatsnoternie »

I always puzzle over this topic -- with the exception of the year they had my home city, they're all a bit of a hike. None of the sites this year are within driving distance for me.
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

This spread is awful. Hopefully when they said on the registration page that they will add more cities in the middle of the country. Not that I'm complaining--I'm gong to school in Davis, CA and that's within 100 miles of SF. 8-)
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

I ended up choosing Boston. It looks like the airport is closer to downtown than Atlanta. Plus, I've never been there and I'd love to walk some or all of the Freedom Trail.

It may all be for naught anyway, even if I score an audition. Starting in July my professional life is not my own for a couple of years while I train to become a control room operator. If there is an exam on the Friday before the audition date then I prolly ain't going.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

I picked Tampa because flights there are dirt cheap. Plus I've got a few college buddies down there and it would be nice to escape this miserable Wisconsin weather, even if only for a few days...
EJVA
Contributor

Post by EJVA »

Is there any competitive advantage/disadvantage to choosing LA? Obviously a boatload of contestants from there, but maybe they hold multiple auditions throughout the season when they need to restock the pool? I live across the river from DC, which is also highly competitive, but not on the list. I gather they had auditions here recently, though no invitation for me. I am in LA often to visit family so it would be convenient. Hoping third time on the test will be the charm.

Good luck, everyone.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

jjwaymee wrote:I ended up choosing Boston. It looks like the airport is closer to downtown than Atlanta. Plus, I've never been there and I'd love to walk some or all of the Freedom Trail.

It may all be for naught anyway, even if I score an audition. Starting in July my professional life is not my own for a couple of years while I train to become a control room operator. If there is an exam on the Friday before the audition date then I prolly ain't going.
You've just described a large part of why I'm on the fence about even taking the test at all. I'm well into the same training program at another nuclear plant, and so my ability to take time off from work on short notice is quite constrained, especially from September through next March.

I took particular note of the responses to one question on Monday's Jeopardy! Fan live panel; "how long between test and taping?" Eric's reply that it was about a year leaves open the possibility (though highly unlikely) that if I were to get through the test and an audition, The Call could come at a time when I'd have no choice but to decline the offer to play. Combine that with a long haul to any of the audition options (I live between Philadelphia and Reading) and I'm leaning toward waiting until the next test.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mfc248 wrote:
jjwaymee wrote:I ended up choosing Boston. It looks like the airport is closer to downtown than Atlanta. Plus, I've never been there and I'd love to walk some or all of the Freedom Trail.

You've just described a large part of why I'm on the fence about even taking the test at all. I'm well into the same training program at another nuclear plant, and so my ability to take time off from work on short notice is quite constrained, especially from September through next March.

I took particular note of the responses to one question on Monday's Jeopardy! Fan live panel; "how long between test and taping?" Eric's reply that it was about a year leaves open the possibility (though highly unlikely) that if I were to get through the test and an audition, The Call could come at a time when I'd have no choice but to decline the offer to play. Combine that with a long haul to any of the audition options (I live between Philadelphia and Reading) and I'm leaning toward waiting until the next test.
If you passed and are invited to an audition, the CCs will be quite accommodating to you if you can't make it to the audition, or to your taping. They can reschedule you; if you are getting contacted by them, that means they re interested in you.

My advice is take the test anyways and if you get invited to an audition, see if it conflicts, if it does, ask for a reschedule to another place. (Same advice if you get to an audition and pass and get The Call) Worst that can happen is that they can't reschedule you and you have to wait until next year, which is what would have happened if you didn't take the test in the first place!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mfc248 wrote:You've just described a large part of why I'm on the fence about even taking the test at all. I'm well into the same training program at another nuclear plant, and so my ability to take time off from work on short notice is quite constrained, especially from September through next March.
Oh, just leave it running on its own for a while. What's the worst that could happen?