Wednesday, April 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote: Do not go gentle into that good night... rage, rage against the dying of the Light!
I see someone else rewatched Interstellar over the weekend... :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dzimand
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dzimand »

Not a bad wager at all! As it played out, a lock offered the only way Kaya would have won. The good sense of the strategy is clearer when the contestant gets the DD right. But the good sense is there all the same.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Coming so late to this party that there's little I can add.

But I want to voice huge respect for both Kaya and Kerry, and thanks for the most exciting game of Jeopardy! I've seen in a long time. I didn't have the moxie to play the way Kaya did, but I sure do respect it, and it sure was fun to watch. (Except, I'm guessing, maybe somewhat less fun to watch from either the first or second position!)

I am very pleased to see Kerry has become the first megachamp since Julia Collins. Brava! At the same time, I'm sorry to see Kaya join the list of contestants who've played spectacular games and lost this season; Brian Quinn and Eric Swanson spring immediately to mind. Kaya's play reminded me of Roger Craig in the Decades final. When AT asked him on Day 2 about his huge wagers (that hadn't panned out) the previous day, Roger basically said (I'm paraphrasing), "Well, yeah, I bet big. I mean, look who I'm playing against!"

I found the NBA/Spanish category hard, and had the same oro-related problems that others have described. I also had a devil of a time trying to get from caballeros to Cavaliers, even though they're obviously the same word.

I did get Trafalgar though, so maybe you ladies should try playing Jeopardy! in my family room. The game seems to be a little easier from here! (At the very least, I don't spend nearly as much time thinking, "Oh, crap, where am I supposed to be looking now?)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Volante wrote:
goatman wrote: Do not go gentle into that good night... rage, rage against the dying of the Light!
:P LOL No, but I did go to the theater to see it was enthralled... I'm having Welsh Rarebit for lunch and it made me think of Dylan T!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Wasn't a musical one of the correct responses on the far right column in the Jeopardy round today or yesterday?

Could someone please tell me what musical that was so I can research it.
grnwaz
I'm Not an Android, But I Play One on TV

Post by grnwaz »

earendel wrote:I'd like to know when this was taped - there's been a lot of stories surrounding Richard III the past month or two - finding his grave, exhuming it, then reburying it - and interest pieces such as the princes in the tower and whether Richard was responsible for their deaths. That's what led me to the right answer for FJ!
We taped the last week of January. Sorry, Kaya, I read the thread backwards.
Last edited by grnwaz on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grnwaz

Post by grnwaz »

lau1959 wrote:I know this may be a weird question and it doesn't have anything to do with the actual game, but Kerry where did you get that beautiful top you had on yesterday?? And was it coral???
It's bright red, but it did appear very orange on the broadcast. And I got it in my whirlwind four outfit visit to the mall at the end of the first day of taping! I'm pretty sure it was Macy's.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

cf1140 wrote:Wasn't a musical one of the correct responses on the far right column in the Jeopardy round today or yesterday?

Could someone please tell me what musical that was so I can research it.
The 4/8 game:

YOU'VE GOTTEN ME INTO $1000: A production of this Irving Berlin musical; I'm Buffalo Bill

Annie Get Your Gun

Yes, research it if you did not know that one and make sure to check out some very well-known songs in it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

grnwaz wrote: It's bright red, but it did appear very orange on the broadcast. And I got it in my whirlwind four outfit visit to the mall at the end of the first day of taping! I'm pretty sure it was Macy's.
Ah, the glamorous life of the Jeopardy superchamp. :lol: Thanks, Kerry, I got a good laugh out of that.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Woof wrote:
grnwaz wrote: It's bright red, but it did appear very orange on the broadcast. And I got it in my whirlwind four outfit visit to the mall at the end of the first day of taping! I'm pretty sure it was Macy's.
Ah, the glamorous life of the Jeopardy superchamp. :lol: Thanks, Kerry, I got a good laugh out of that.
You'd think she'd have people for that.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

goatman wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
floridagator wrote:How satisfying it was to watch Maya get her instant comeuppance. She was like Arthur Chu with lipstick, combined with the arrogance of that player from last week whose hubris took three days to unmake him.
Is any of this, particularly the bolded, really necessary? I'm glad you're satisfied because someone lost at Jeopardy!, but I think it might be in better taste to keep it to yourself.
I agree that rant was totally uncalled for. No one on this Board should take "Schadenfreude" at another contestant's bad luck. There but for the Grace of God...

I cried for Kaya; she was not an 'arrogant Chu' but an intelligent, well-prepared and very qualified player who made a poor wager and paid for it with the game.

Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah
So you defend Kaya against the harsh comments, and then you said a whole bunch of nice things to her, but in between you say that she made a poor wager and it cost her the game, which is not only completely unfounded and misguided, but patently false. With missing the NBA DD and missing FJ, she wasn't going to win no matter what she wagered in that spot. If she'd gotten the DD right, her bold wager may have won her the game as she very well may have finished with a lock.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:It's a male first name that starts with a double letter. That alone probably makes it a worthy $200 clue.
Not if you can't think of a single male name beginning with a double letter with a gun to your head.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Then add in that they spotted you the last name on the reigning (and 2-time) NFL MVP, former Super Bowl champion, and current State Farm Insurance pitchman. He's also famously dating model/actress Olivia Munn. The clue might have actually been overvalued at $200.
Don't know, don't know, don't know, and don't know.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:It's a male first name that starts with a double letter. That alone probably makes it a worthy $200 clue.
Not if you can't think of a single male name beginning with a double letter with a gun to your head.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Then add in that they spotted you the last name on the reigning (and 2-time) NFL MVP, former Super Bowl champion, and current State Farm Insurance pitchman. He's also famously dating model/actress Olivia Munn. The clue might have actually been overvalued at $200.
Don't know, don't know, don't know, and don't know.
Don't 'no'.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I realize it's an imperfect analogy, but anyone else reminded of the fable of the tortoise and the hare while watching this game? Kerry might be the poster child for the story's moral, "Slow and steady wins the race."

In any case, I have nothing but respect for the way both Kerry and Kaya played. Kaya was a dynamo! However, I don't think you can justify her DD wager based on some prior expectation that she would miss FJ. Given the knowledge and skill she had demonstrated to that point of the game, Kaya had every reason to want to play from the lead going into FJ. Indeed, I was surprised she didn't come up with Richard III.

Long before I had seen or read Richard III, I knew of the two boys in the tower from Paul Benedict's loony take on the play in 1977's The Goodbye Girl.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Volante wrote:
Generational movie reference thing. I know the entire poem because of an entirely different poet; Rodney Dangerfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTv1Dmu5CYc

EDIT: I also have that movie to thank for my knowledge of Kurt Vonnegut and Oingo Boingo. :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

sillymonkey wrote:Congratulations to Kerry on another amazing, solid performance, becoming a superchampion, and winning lots of money. I don't know how you felt while playing, but you seem unflappable. I'm looking forward to watching you continue your ninja wins.
To Kaya, I really enjoyed watching you. You came to play!! All business, giving it your best shot, but with a sense of balance. I'm disappointed that we won't get to see you play again.
This was (another) exciting game to watch. Thanks, players!
This sums up my reaction to the game altogether. Many congrats to Kerry (now #20 All-Time) and hats off as well to Kaya for a very impressive performance.

My Lach Trash of the day: Celestine Prophecy, Trafalgar, Cleveland Cavaliers (of course).
grnwaz

Post by grnwaz »

Winchell Factor wrote:You'd think she'd have people for that.
Technically I did, if you count my family. But I'm not sure any of them would get hired for the job!
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Add me to the list of people who admire a gutsy bet like that. I too felt confident in that category, speaking a decent amount of Spanish, and knowing the NBA fairly well.

pepitas del oro... oro is gold, pepitas is often what pumpkin seeds are sold as... pumpkin seed gold? Nah, doesn't make sense, pepitas also means any little seed... gold seeds... ? Only after Nuggets was revealed did I do a face plant over the obviousness of it. And to try to solve it in five seconds under the harsh pressure of TV, not a chance.

You woulda been a contender, but you gave us an entertaining game. Best wishes to you! ;)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I love big risk takers like Kaya so I was hoping it would work out for her so we could see her again today. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

But Kerry is a very skilled superchamp and now that Kaya is out of the picture, she's got all my support. Six wins and a 6/6 FJ record thus far? That's very rare isn't it?
Golf

Post by Golf »

astrohip wrote:Add me to the list of people who admire a gutsy bet like that.
JayK33 wrote:I love big risk takers like Kaya
She wasn't a big risk taker, she simply played the game strategically proper. Pretty funny how many people have no clue this strategy yields the highest win expectation.