Thursday, April 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7044, 2015-04-09

Kerry Greene game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Chris Hurt, an actor and grants analyst from New York, New York
Lindsey Love, an academic program coordinator from Eden, New York
Kerry Greene, a volunteer guardian ad litem from Manchester, New Hampshire (whose 6-day cash winnings total $146,598)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. For those of you who haven't been with us for the past week or so, Kerry, our champion, has been performing brilliantly, in a very quiet, professional, successful manner. Lindsey and Chris, I'll start you off by wishing you both good luck. Let's see what happens in this first round of play. Here are the categories for the three of you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"L"ITERATURE (4/5)
BARTENDING GLOSSARY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHERE THE DEVIL?! (5/5)
LIFESTYLES (5/5)
DOUBLE TALK (5/5)
THEIR TV ROLES THEN & NOW (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kerry: 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Chris: 9 R, 0 W
Lindsey: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kerry found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Kerry had $600, Lindsey was scoreless, and Chris had nothing in the bank. Kerry wagered $1,000.

BARTENDING GLOSSARY $600: Neapolitan for "a measure of liquids" gives us the name of this glass container that holds 2-4 glasses of wine

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kerry: $4,600
Chris: $3,400
Lindsey: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Chris Hurt is an actor from New York, and I'm surprised to hear that Katie Couric stole one of his jokes. She seems like such a nice lady.

Chris: Well, she actually asked. It wasn't really, um, a--a... theft.

Alex: Thievery.

Chris: Yeah. It was a borrowing, um, and, um, uh, I'd been chosen to get an award for book narration. Katie Couric was the emcee for the event, and I kinda cracked them up with a little wisecrack at the beginning of my acceptance speech, and she came afterwards and said, "Ooh, ooh, could I use that?" She was accepting a woman of the year award at Tavern on the Green. And read about it the next day in the New York Post that she--she slayed. She slayed with my joke.

Alex: Oh. Oh. With your joke. Good for you.

Alex: Lindsey Love, academic program coordinator, also from New York--Eden.

Lindsey: Yes.

Alex: Where is Eden?

Lindsey: Eden is just south of Buffalo.

Alex: Ah.

Lindsey: Um, and is legendarily home to--as was shown on a Jeopardy! clue a little while ago--home to the only metal kazoo factory in the United States.

[Chuckles]

Alex: Now when you graduated from college...

Lindsey: Yes.

Alex: You got forgotten.

Lindsey: I was, yes. Um, ordinarily you have an index card with your name on it that you hand to the professor to read. Uh, we just had a list, and a rather elderly professor who did not have his glasses on, so I was coming up. He called the person in front of me and then called the person behind me and then kept going. So I was standing to the side of the stage just waiting till he was done.

[Alex and Lindsey chuckle.]

Alex: Take a nap, professor.

Alex: All right, Kerry Greene is our champion. She's won a lot of money, as you heard at the beginning of the program. Already knows how she's going to start spending it.

Kerry: Well, number one is a bathtub.

Alex: You don't have a bathtub?

Kerry: Well, we have one, but it's not one I would want to get in, so... [Chuckles] We have one bathroom left to remodel, and, boy, does it need it.

Alex: Okay. I won't ask you about your bathtub.

[Kerry laughs.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"L"ITERATURE $1000: Joe Christmas has an affair with Joanna Burden, kills her & sets her house on fire in this novel by Faulkner

THEIR TV ROLES THEN & NOW $600: Alan Shore &
Red Reddington

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kerry: $8,200
Chris: $6,800
Lindsey: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
13th CENTURY HIGHLIGHTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HELENA BONHAM CARTER ROLES (5/5)
AMERICAN ARTISTS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RHYMES WITH A GREAT LAKE (3/5)
WHAT A COOL GADGET (4/5)
JUST A FEW LITTLE BUGS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chris: 9 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Lindsey: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Kerry: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chris snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Kerry had $8,200, Lindsey had $1,800, and Chris was at $8,400. Chris wagered $4,000.

AMERICAN ARTISTS $2000: His 1885 work "The Fog Warning" shows a lone New England fisherman rowing a dory

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Chris who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Kerry had $13,000, Lindsey had $7,400, and Chris was at $16,000. Chris wagered $2,500.

13th CENTURY HIGHLIGHTS $1200: In 1296 the Scottish coronation stone was moved to Westminster from here
(Alex: That's it, yes. The Stone of [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN ARTISTS $1200: Born Robert Kahn in 1915, he took a new professional name as the creator of Batman

AMERICAN ARTISTS $1600: A critic accused this American of "flinging a pot of paint in the public's face" with his 1875 "Nocturne in Black and Gold"

RHYMES WITH A GREAT LAKE $400: Dismal & bleak
(Chris: What is bleary?)

RHYMES WITH A GREAT LAKE $800: Happy
(Alex: You sense a theme here, guys? I mean... It's taken two clues.)

JUST A FEW LITTLE BUGS $2000: In the 1920s the tiphia wasp was introduced into the U.S. to control this Asian beetle that was found on our shores in 1916

13th CENTURY HIGHLIGHTS $2000: In the 1250s a court chaplain founded the Paris School of Theology, which was later named this for him

WHAT A COOL GADGET $2000: A virtual-reality demo for this "Rift" device let the user explore the bridge of Voyager from "Star Trek"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Chris: $18,500
Kerry: $15,400
Lindsey: $10,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REFERENCE WORKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Chris: Wager $12,301 to cover Kerry.
Kerry: You have to wager $5,001 to cover Lindsey's doubled score, but certainly no more than $5,199, so as to force Lindsey to be right to have a chance at winning.
Lindsey: Think about risking $4,000 or less, thereby beating Chris on the Triple Stumper (should Chris wager to cover Kerry's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Now in its fourth edition, the book with this title first appeared in 1918 as a 43-page guide for Cornell English students

FINAL SCORES
Lindsey: $10,200 + $8,501 = $18,701 (What is the Elements of Style?) (2nd place)
Kerry: $15,400 - $15,399 = $1 (What is The Style Guide?) (3rd place)
Chris: $18,500 + $12,301 = $30,801 (What is The Elements of Style?) (New champion: $30,801)
(Alex: [To Lindsey] ...by William Strunk Jr., later revised by E.B. White.)
(Alex: ...way to go, Kerry. We'll see you in our Tournament of Champions...)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Chris: $15,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Kerry: $15,000, 21 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Lindsey: $10,200, 12 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Kerry: 21/59 = .356
Chris: 19/60 = .317
Lindsey: 13/58 = .224
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BARTENDING GLOSSARY $1000: On a champagne label, brut equals this wine term, as the grapes used to make it contained little or no sugar
(Alex: You've spent a lot of time in bars, I think.)
[Applause for Kerry's run of the category]
(Alex: I'm not sure that's, uh, what you want to publicize on Jeopardy!)

DOUBLE TALK $1000: Done around 1640, the painting here may be one of the last illustrations made of a live one of these

WHAT A COOL GADGET $400: Feel like a sorcerer as you change TV channels by waving the Kymera Magic this
(Kerry: What's a remote control?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Kerry: What is a Magic [*]?)

RHYMES WITH A GREAT LAKE $1600: Introductory letter to a potential publisher
(Kerry: What's an inquiry?)

JUST A FEW LITTLE BUGS $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) African termite mounds, which can be as high as 40 feet, contain intricate systems of ventilation shafts to regulate this, no matter what the weather outside

CORRECT RESPONSES
a carafe
Light in August
James Spader
Winslow Homer
Scone
Bob Kane
Whistler
dreary
cheery
the Japanese beetle
the Sorbonne
Oculus
The Elements of Style
dry
a dodo
Wand
query
temperature
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Reference Works
Now in its fourth edition, the book with this title first appeared in 1918 as a 43-page guide for Cornell English students.

Spoiler
What is Elements of Style? Kerry said The Style Guide.

Chris Hurt: $18,500+$12,301=$30,801...now a 1-day champion with $30,801
Kerry Greene: $15,400-$15,399=$1
Lindsey Love: $10,200+$8,501=$18,701
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Kerry, nooooooooooo
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Good game. It was a nice mix of categories and the contestants mostly played straight down. That "rhymes with a great lake" was a classic end-of-season-and-the-writers-are-out-of-steam. Really? Already? FJ was instaget for me. I knew that Strunk had written the original and that EB White had come on as a co-author later. We will be watching for Kerry in the ToC, and I am eager to see the new champ play again Friday.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Light in August in "L"iterature, and all but Wyoming in Where the Devil?!

I think asking for the state north of AZ might've been a tad easy for $1,000.

WLT Brooklyn on Lifestyles for $200?

Helena who? Yeah, I'm not getting any of those. No hope on 13th Century either.

Ran Rhymes with a Great Lake.

Well, I doubt a dictionary was ever only 43 pages, so… uh… uh… wut? No idea.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

There is going to be a percentage of comic book historians who are muttering and foaming over the Bob Kane question ... unlike Siegel and Shuster (who get equal credit for the creation of Batman), the Kane family was quick to get DC to agree that Bob is the only official "creator" of Batman, despite Bill Finger being the original writer as long as Siegel was for Superman, and reportedly being just as involved in the look, design and origins of Batman as Kane. Even though he was the artist, Finger is credited for many of the distinct pieces of Batman's look that we all know today.

Nobody knew James Spader?! For shame!

Also ... "Jengis"?!

Sorry to see Kerry go. :/
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MitchO wrote:Also ... "Jengis"?!
Perfectly acceptable pronunciation.

At first, all I could come up with was Strunk & White (which I think would be acceptable), but managed the correct name in time.

Good run, Kerry. See you in the ToC!
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was an excellent game all around. Congratulations to Chris on the win. And congrats, Kerry, on your great run! I had 31 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Whistler, dreary, Japanese beetle, Sorbonne. Instaget FJ.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Helena who? Yeah, I'm not getting any of those. No hope on 13th Century either.
I'm guessing even a generational curmudgeon like yourself is at east aware of multiple movies with Helena Bonham Carter. She's been working regularly in big moves for over 20 years. Specifically she's been in a bunch of Tim Burton movies since, as the one clue implied, she married him after Planet of the Apes.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000307/
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

"L"it (4), Glossary (2), Devil (3), Life (2), Double (5), TV (4)
13th c. (3), Carter (4), Artist (4), Lake (2), Gad (1), Bugs (3)

Lach Trash: "Light in August", "Bob Kane", "Whistler" (total guess), "dreary", "Sorbonne" (only because I was browsing on the Wikipedia article a few days ago). I only got Calder right because of the J-Archive.

I was stumped for most of the time, but I managed to extract Elements of Style.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

econgator wrote:
At first, all I could come up with was Strunk & White (which I think would be acceptable)
According to Wikipedia, the first edition called "Strunk and White" came out in 1959, so I guess it depends on the wording of the clue, but I think only The Elements of Style counts.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The airport in Ulan Bator, Mongolia is the "Chinggis Khaan International Airport". One would imagine they would know how to pronounce the man's name. :)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Great fast-moving game, except for the lake rhyming clue. Ack.

Sorry to see Kerry go... looking forward to seeing you on the ToC! And congrats to the new champ.

As a writer and former journalist, FJ was as Instaget as it gets. :-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MitchO wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Helena who? Yeah, I'm not getting any of those. No hope on 13th Century either.
I'm guessing even a generational curmudgeon like yourself is at east aware of multiple movies with Helena Bonham Carter. She's been working regularly in big moves for over 20 years. Specifically she's been in a bunch of Tim Burton movies since, as the one clue implied, she married him after Planet of the Apes.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000307/
I also had the same reaction = Helena Who? But when the Harry Potter clue came up - I knew who she was, but didn't remember her character name. Low-five TPH for going 0/5 here.

The rhymes with great lake sucked big time for me...all rhyming with Erie only?

Finally Kerry's luck ran out - no win from second or third place with FJ get. I am thinking she didn't get the FJ book name, but knew which book. I thought her big spending will be on wines in South Africa. The Bartending seemed like custom made for her - great run.

The 13th century DD was a head slapper, I thought they were asking for some Scottish castle or something along those lines.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

doihavetoreally wrote:The rhymes with great lake sucked big time for me...all rhyming with Erie only?
Me after that category: "Well, come to think of it, what would rhyme with Huron? Or rhyme with Michigan and not be an '-ish again'? Even 'Ontario' is a bit of a stretch... stereo maybe?"
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

congrats to kerry on a terrific run. yes, she got lucky once in a while, but that's part of the game. she was a wonderful competitor with a wide range of knowledge.
my final jeopardy answer was "strunk and white." i count it as correct. "... the book with *this* title ..." (emphasis supplied).
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:The rhymes with great lake sucked big time for me...all rhyming with Erie only?
Me after that category: "Well, come to think of it, what would rhyme with Huron? Or rhyme with Michigan and not be an '-ish again'? Even 'Ontario' is a bit of a stretch... stereo maybe?"
This is what you do once the genie has granted you the first of three. (What is wish again?)
Director Alfonso, minus the the third letter (What is Curon?)
This expression means "seriously?" in Spanish (What is "en serio?")
This made up word rhymes with "Superior" (What is flooperior?)

Take note, writers.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ If only the "erior" counts for a rhyme, then anterior, posterior, inferior, etc. would all work.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I spent the Helena Bonham Carter category trying to remember which Woody Allen movie she was in. Finally surrendered, feeling like a dodo, and looked it up: "Mighty Aphrodite." I've seen her movie debut in "A Room with a View," also "Howard"s End," "The Wings of the Dove" and "The King's Speech."

Did Lindsey forget the phrasing on "Polaroid" or did I have an audio dropout?