Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 14, 2015

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), April 14, 2015

Post by Mathew5000 »

I knew Mia Love was from Utah because she was mentioned on The Daily Show (or maybe it was Real Time with Bill Maher) in the context of Utah having a very small African American population but still electing an African American member of Congress. I specifically remembered the name because of the similarity to the movie director Mia Hansen-Løve.
NewsToTom
Contributor

Post by NewsToTom »

Taking it for real tonight (probably), took it off the video (thanks!).

Got 43, which is on the lower end of my range. My normal bugaboos of current pop culture (Scandal, Wild, Hozier, X-Men), high culture (Matisse), and oopsies (Danube, dystopia) got me.
artschooldropout
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by artschooldropout »

doihavetoreally wrote:
jjwaymee wrote:Not cool. I couldn't see the categories until about question 40 :o

Did this happen to anybody else?
I could see them, but the font/color combination is awful.

Yes, I agree there. The categories were insanely hard to read at first glance. I demand a retrial!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I received an email today saying I'd completed the online test. So for those who experienced glitches and wondered if they received your results, you might check your inbox.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I also received an email stating that I had completed the online test. It was dated 4-15-15 at 5:35 PM EDT.
The rest of you should get one as well.
Good luck to those who still need to take the test.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Mathew5000 wrote:I knew Mia Love was from Utah because she was mentioned on The Daily Show (or maybe it was Real Time with Bill Maher) in the context of Utah having a very small African American population but still electing an African American member of Congress. I specifically remembered the name because of the similarity to the movie director Mia Hansen-Løve.
Bill Maher might have done something, but I think you're probably remembering this Daily Show segment (the Mia Love part starts about 40 seconds in):
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/opvfe ... ity-retort

Btw, she was one of the featured speakers at the 2012 Republican National Convention, so if you watched that (or parts, or TV coverage), you might have remembered her from that.
Last edited by Magna on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeophopeful
Contributor

Post by jeophopeful »

i hit 35. i cant believe it.
Saratoga

Post by Saratoga »

I got 34 questions right. SIGH! Any chance a partial completion for the Alanis Morrissette question would count? (Wishful thinking, probably, I know)
drfate

Post by drfate »

Hi,
Anyone else have trouble with tonight's test? I was logged in at 7:05pm cst and watched the countdown go to 28 seconds till start of test and then the page just reset and kicked me out. I did not loose my internet connection either. I tried to log in again but too late. The message said "Tonight's test already in progress..."
Any one have any ideas of what's up?
Thanks
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Gosh, no, how disappointing, but you can still re-register again and take it tomorrow 8 PST/11 EST.
Try using a different email. If you're using hotmail I have had real problems with it, bah.
I got 35 tonight, left 4 blanks on 'films of 2014,' was real surprised so many clues from movies, bah!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I guess all of my effort making sure that there is a dedicated thread for each test was for naught.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

drfate wrote:Hi,
Anyone else have trouble with tonight's test? I was logged in at 7:05pm cst and watched the countdown go to 28 seconds till start of test and then the page just reset and kicked me out. I did not loose my internet connection either. I tried to log in again but too late. The message said "Tonight's test already in progress..."
Any one have any ideas of what's up?
Thanks
O BTW, DITCH EXPLORER! If you're using IE11 it SUX! Had REAL problems with it, turns out it has some kind of newfangled cache refresh tool which reloads stored pages and will jack interface.
It was also causing me to forece relog into email, timing out my interface and dumping other webpages. That is almost certainly your problem!
Relog tomorrow night using Firefox, wayyyyyyy better!! I've had NO problems with irritating browsing glitches since I dumped IE. Good luck!! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
drfate

Post by drfate »

Thanks but I've had no problems with IE. No resets before, no lags, no reloads. The weird thing was the Jeopardy homepage and the sign in page stayed up and I did not loose internet connection.
alamble

Post by alamble »

bpmod wrote:I guess all of my effort making sure that there is a dedicated thread for each test was for naught.

Brian
Nah, you're just helping the contestant coordinators weed out the people who can't follow directions. :)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Well this is lovely, so glad I made the cut even with the technical problems.

First I couldn't see the first two questions. I figured I didn't get the 35 but was darn close and that could've made the difference. So I emailed the tech line and got a generic reply that had nothing to do with the question I asked. It said I could take the test again, but nothing about if my first test score would be wiped, or anything else. The generic reply stated "sorry you were unable to take the test...". So I answered with I was able to take the test, but there were issues, which is why I wrote in the first place. I also stated I checked my answers since they posted the questions on Facebook and I got 36/50. I then asked if my score was staying or if it was wiped because I didn't want to have to try and pass another test when I already passed this one.

This is what they sent this time:

Hi Wayne,

If you submitted your answer, we have it on file and test results have been given to the Jeopardy! Team for evaluation and scoring.

You are only eligible to take the test again if you did not submit your answers at the end of the test.

Warmest regards,
The Jeopardy! Contestant Team

What do they mean "if you submitted your answer"???? All answers are submitted, there isn't a choice at the end for me to say, "well I'm just not confident, I won't hit submit and I'll try again tomorrow night."

At some point after that, I got the congratulations on completing the test email meaning I would be ineligible to retake the test.

Whew! Passed anyway, see ya in Tampa!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Because of the Sony glitch and the fact that being at the Ford's Theater commemoration was amazing, I can't say that I'm sorry that I wound up not taking the test this night, but I did get 39 which is pretty amazing since I missed practically every current pop culture question on this test. :o
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

triviawayne wrote:Whew! Passed anyway, see ya in Tampa!
Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but 1) there is no documented guarantee that 35 is the threshold for a passing score, and 2) there is still the little matter of a random draw among the population of potential contestants that passed the test, since that number will be greater than the number of audition slots available.

I intend to employ the same strategy that led to an audition email three years ago -- go on living my life, completely forget about the online test I took, and then be pleasantly surprised if an email happens to arrive.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jjwaymee

don't worry, I fully get that it's a random draw of those that passed, that have also picked the same audition city. I've passed 5 overall, and now 4 in a row and have never had the in person audition.

I'm in the pool for the upcoming season of Millionaire, and yeah, would love to get that call and the call to Tampa. As long as the timing is perfect for each step of the way, I could be eligible for both.

I figure things this way: 10,000 people pass the test, 2500 are seen, the odds of passing 5 and not being seen are still going to be (off the top of my head) about 20%, but I like the 80% and am really hoping for that call. If not, there's always next year.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Good luck to you on both of your potential opportunities Wayne!

One side note I thought of just now -- I wonder what, if any, consideration is given to your occupation when they invite people to the audition. Otherwise, why ask it in the first place?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jjwaymee wrote:One side note I thought of just now -- I wonder what, if any, consideration is given to your occupation when they invite people to the audition. Otherwise, why ask it in the first place?
They need to see if it will fit on Johnny's card. Mine won't.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.