History of hubris on JBoard.tv

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: History of hubris on JBoard.tv

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:I cant stop laughing. The fact that someone has assigned himself chronicler of all hubris cracks me up.
Son, we live in a world that has hubris, and that hubris has to be exposed by people with internet access. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Bamaman? Floridagator has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Alex Jacob and you curse the Twitterverse. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Alex Jacob's loss, while tragic, probably taught him a lesson. And Floridagator's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, teaches people lessons! You don't want to accept this, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want him slinging mud. You need him slinging mud. We use words like "caution", "prudence", "humility". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent attacking something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain Floridagator to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the vigilance that he provides, and then questions the manner in which he provides it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a shovel, and sling some mud. Either way, I don't give a damn what cracks you up!
Did you precall the True Daily Double? DID YOU PRECALL THE TRUE DAILY DOUBLE?
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:I cant stop laughing. The fact that someone has assigned himself chronicler of all hubris cracks me up.
Son, we live in a world that has hubris, and that hubris has to be exposed by people with internet access. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Bamaman? Floridagator has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Alex Jacob and you curse the Twitterverse. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Alex Jacob's loss, while tragic, probably taught him a lesson. And Floridagator's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, teaches people lessons! You don't want to accept this, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want him slinging mud. You need him slinging mud. We use words like "caution", "prudence", "humility". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent attacking something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain Floridagator to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the vigilance that he provides, and then questions the manner in which he provides it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a shovel, and sling some mud. Either way, I don't give a damn what cracks you up!
Ive read this about five times and still have no idea what youre saying.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I guess you can't handle the truth.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

billiej wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I guess you can't handle the truth.
So this provides a good idea of what my wheelhouse is not
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Linear Gnome wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Did you precall the True Daily Double? DID YOU PRECALL THE TRUE DAILY DOUBLE?
YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!!!!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Well it's a change from those Hitler in his bunker videos.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Vanya wrote:Well, at least no one on JBoard.tv has this:

https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/fe ... ubris.html
That sounds like an outchange condition.
For the better or for the worse? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

The Talking Mime wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Vanya wrote:Well, at least no one on JBoard.tv has this:

https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/fe ... ubris.html
That sounds like an outchange condition.
For the better or for the worse? (Sorry, couldn't resist)
Depends on how much the hubris is rooted in reality.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
floridagator wrote: April 8, 2015: User floridagator points out that the same hubris that took three days to undo Michael last week took care of Kaya in one day; Kaya herself puzzles over the description of hubris

April 14, 2015: User bamaman suggests contestant Alex should be pilloried for his hubris; user floridagator replies that hubris is inapplicable to the day's game

April 20, 2015: User floridagator claims that after a week of aggressive play but no hubris, contestant Alex finally displays hubris
I like how Bamaman asked you about hubris to make fun of you, and you spun it to make it sound like he's on your side of the argument (apologies if I misread this exchange).

"Hubris" as you define it wasn't the downfall of Michael, Kaya, or myself, and that's just a fact. Michael and Kaya still lose with minimum wagers on their missed DDs, and I didn't even miss a DD in my loss. It's one thing to have an opinion, but what you're saying is just silly, and the fact that you're saying it in such an authoritative manner makes you look ridiculous.
Totally agree. The object of the game is to end up with more money than your opponents. Anything done with that goal is smart play, not hubris.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

This thread is the be-all and end-all of hubris. Savor the irony... a front-row seat to the end of the world.

The ultimate poignant yet vile hubris; from the Scottish play:
If it were done, when 'tis done, then 'twere well
It were done quickly. If th' assassination
Could trammel up the consequence, and catch
With his surcease, success: that but this blow
Might be the be-all and the end-all...
:roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

jeff6286 wrote:Not quite sure what this is about, but it's reminding me of the day Skynet became self-aware.
Double LOL, triple like.
dtenery
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by dtenery »

omgwheelhouse wrote: It's one thing to have an opinion, but what you're saying is just silly, and the fact that you're saying it in such an authoritative manner makes you look ridiculous.
I'd like to get this on a t-shirt.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

econgator wrote:Well, Hubris H. Humphrey ....
Unnnnhghgghhh ... ?? (smack, smack, tries top open eyes) Gowaydunbothame. Ssnnnnxxxx ....
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.