Online Sports Jeopardy Test May 19

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JK2010
Contributor

Re: Online Sports Jeopardy Test May 19

Post by JK2010 »

Does anyone know if the June 3 Sports J! makeup test is only for people who couldn't/didn't write the May 19 test? Can someone who did the previous test rewrite and, if so, which score would be accepted?
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

JK2010 wrote:Does anyone know if the June 3 Sports J! makeup test is only for people who couldn't/didn't write the May 19 test? Can someone who did the previous test rewrite and, if so, which score would be accepted?
According to the email, if you took the test on May 19, your scores have been calculated. It certainly insinuates you can't retake it. Also, it's pretty chicken shit to even think about retaking it and taking the better score.

As I was one who received the 50 question Jeopardy test, I am pleased to have the proper opportunity. Kudos to TPTB.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Anyone else take the re-test tonight?

For something I spent no time preparing for, I found the questions to be very easy. I'm confident that I managed a score of at least 26.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

I took the retest and recorded it.

Last edited by sherder on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

A question about East Bound and Down and then a Kardashian husband or whatever question? Ugh.
Lars
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Lars »

Looking forward to reviewing a couple of questions. I don't follow athletes after they retire, so no clue as to who's playing golf with Obama (guessed Mutumbo, who was not on Miami) or which former Clipper is hanging with the Kardasians (really, really don't care). Lucky guess on "The Ashes", though!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Lars wrote:Looking forward to reviewing a couple of questions. I don't follow athletes after they retire, so no clue as to who's playing golf with Obama (guessed Mutumbo, who was not on Miami) or which former Clipper is hanging with the Kardasians (really, really don't care). Lucky guess on "The Ashes", though!
Alonzo Mourning did play for the Heat, and he's a Georgetown alum and Virginia native, which bolster his DC ties enough to make it a confident guess, although I have no idea whether he's one of Obama's golf buddies.

Kris Humphries never played for the Clippers, but Lamar Odom did. Also, he's known in NBA circles for his sweet tooth, which could clue you in on the dentist tease.

I don't know which NFL team refers to its fans as the 12s. The Seattle Seahawks call their fans the 12th Man, but Texas A&M holds the trademark on that term, and Seattle is not allowed to use it on licensed merchandise.
alamble

Post by alamble »

9021amyers wrote:
Lars wrote:Looking forward to reviewing a couple of questions. I don't follow athletes after they retire, so no clue as to who's playing golf with Obama (guessed Mutumbo, who was not on Miami) or which former Clipper is hanging with the Kardasians (really, really don't care). Lucky guess on "The Ashes", though!
Alonzo Mourning did play for the Heat, and he's a Georgetown alum and Virginia native, which bolster his DC ties enough to make it a confident guess, although I have no idea whether he's one of Obama's golf buddies.

Kris Humphries never played for the Clippers, but Lamar Odom did. Also, he's known in NBA circles for his sweet tooth, which could clue you in on the dentist tease.

I don't know which NFL team refers to its fans as the 12s. The Seattle Seahawks call their fans the 12th Man, but Texas A&M holds the trademark on that term, and Seattle is not allowed to use it on licensed merchandise.
The clue asked which fans refer to themselves as "the 12s," so it's clear to me that they were going for Seattle.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think I got 24 of those. Never heard of that TV show. I did get the one about Caitlyn's son-in-law.
JK2010
Contributor

Post by JK2010 »

Do people think "LA coliseum" is acceptable instead of the full title of "Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum?"

I also missed the "12ers" question -- I know the Seahawks fans are "the 12th man" but had never heard "12ers." I thought that sounded similar to "49ers" so went with that. Total overthink.

Still did way better than I expected -- 28/30 if "LA coliseum" is acceptable (missed Duke, didn't know the answer and guessed Gonzaga for some reason).
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Now that I've been able to review the questions, I actually scored a 29 out of 30! The only question I missed was the one referring to the Nats' closer (is it bad that the only closer I could think of was Huston Street?). That said, the Atlanta auditions are next week, and I highly doubt that there's enough time to add my name to the rolls (for TPTB, not me; I live here).
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

JK2010 wrote:Do people think "LA coliseum" is acceptable instead of the full title of "Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum?"
Any combination of "Los Angeles/LA" and "Coliseum" should be correct. Without Los Angeles being specified in the clue, only answering "Memorial Coliseum" would require a BMS, since there are are plenty of indoor arenas around the country with that name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wikipedia says Mournjng retired 1/22/09, so he fits the clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wikipedia says Mournjng retired 1/22/09, so he fits the clue.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I'm posting my list of answers, in the hope that someone will provide any needed corrections or fill in the blanks of the ones I couldn't be sure of when researching them.
Spoiler
1 - safety
2 - throwback
3 - Tim Robbins
4 - Fed Ex Cup
5 - soccer
6 - ACC
7 - LA Memorial Colisseum
8 - cricket
9 - Seattle Seahawks
10 - Ted Williams
11 - Vezina Trophy
12 - Kenny Powers
13 - Pittsburgh Steelers
14 - NBA draft lottery
15 - Germany
16 - advantage
17 - Bode Miller
18 - Keith Jackson
19 - Bullies
20 - Drew Storen
21 - Duke
22 - pole vault
23 - Jack Nicklaus
24 - ? maybe Alonzo Mourning - does he golf with President Obama?
25 - Tour de France
26 - Lamar Odom
27 - Chris Paul
28 - Boilermakers
29 - Carmelo Anthony
30 - Paul Tagliabue
I'd never try this kind of thing for real - not enough of a sports junkie - but I consider the 18 I got right from Sherder's video (Thanks) respectable enough not to be completely shut out of a sports category in a regular J! game.
Last edited by nlw44 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Thanks to sherder for posting that. As I suspected, I'm not Sports Jeopardy! material--I got 16 out of 30, which is probably the on the upper end of how I rate to score.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The Nationals' closer (question 20) is Drew Storen: that's a stretch even for someone who closely follows the NL East.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

9021amyers wrote:The Nationals' closer (question 20) is Drew Storen: that's a stretch even for someone who closely follows the NL East.
That's one of the 16 I got right!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

23 for me after getting 18 of the first 19 right. Five misses were basketball. No chance on Eastbound or the closer for the Nats.

Thank you sherder for the video as that is the superior way to play compared to the Facebook list of questions.

nlw44, getting the set of answers going was helpful as CP3 was the only one I managed to figure out shortly after the test ended.

Good luck to everyone trying it for real.
Golf

Post by Golf »

9021amyers wrote:The Nationals' closer (question 20) is Drew Storen: that's a stretch even for someone who closely follows the NL East.
LOL. If you closely follow a single division you know every starter and more. Closers are basic.

That being said, it was the only true sports question I didn't know. But fully admit I should follow current baseball more.