Thursday, May 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7064, 2015-05-07

CONTESTANTS
Andrew Haringer, a college instructor from Squamish, British Columbia, Canada
Emily Bialowas, an environmental educator originally from Ardsley, New York
Scott Ylinen, a draftsman and college student from Morgantown, West Virginia (whose 3-day cash winnings total $62,705)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We have a new studio audience with us today, so for your benefit--as you just heard, Scott, our champion, has won three games. But I will add that he won them all in runaway games. He could not be caught in Final Jeopardy! Fair warning for Emily and Andrew, the challengers today. But good luck to all three of you as we move you into the first round of play--the Jeopardy! Round--which today features these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MY NAME IS A TITLE (4/5)
STARTS WITH A MONTH ABBREV. (2/5)
MED SCHOOLS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AMERICA'S GOT TALONS (5/5)
CRIMINALITY... IN SONG (5/5)
THE FEMALE EQUIVALENT (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Emily: 9 R, 0 W
Scott: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Andrew: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Scott had $1,600, Emily had $400, and Andrew had nothing in the bank. Scott made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

MED SCHOOLS $1000: The med school at this public university is named for David Geffen & is affiliated with the Ronald Reagan Medical Center
(Scott: What is USC?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Emily: $2,200
Scott: $1,400
Andrew: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Andrew Haringer is a college instructor from Squamish, British Columbia, Canada. And during the summers, he gets away from Canada and has what I think would be a fun job. Tell the folks about it.

Andrew: Yeah, I work for a company called Tauck, which is a--a travel company, and I work on their riverboats that sail along the Danube as a--as a music expert.

Alex: Your job is what exactly?

Andrew: [Scoffs] My official title is a maestro, which is kind of funny to me. But, uh... So I basically give pre-concert talks, I lecture, I play the piano, I give lecture recitals, that sort of thing.

Alex: Oh, all right, good.

Alex: Emily... Bialowas?

Emily: That's right.

Alex: All right. From Ardsley, New York. Now, you teach kids in Portland on a special, important subject.

Emily: That's right, Alex. Um, I teach the children of Portland, um, how to keep their rivers clean, particularly the Willamette River, which is the main river of Portland. So I teach them what a watershed is and about water chemistry and what not to pour down the storm drain.

Alex: What do you tell them not to dump?

Emily: Um, basically anything that's not water but mostly motor oil.

Alex: Yeah, not very bright.

Alex: Scott Ylinen is our champion. He's won three games so far, fair amount of money--over $60,000--and knows what he wants to use part of it for--getting a pilot's license?

Scott: I would. I've always been interested in airplanes. My family's always been interested in planes.

Alex: But weren't you in a plane crash?

Scott: Well, it was a small plane crash. No one was hurt. The plane was written off, but everybody was fine. Didn't put me off.

Alex: Didn't?

Scott: No.

Alex: Good for you. You're a brave, courageous soul.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MY NAME IS A TITLE $600: Frances McDormand played this title Maine woman in a 2014 HBO miniseries

THE FEMALE EQUIVALENT $1000: of a rajah
(Andrew: Maharishi? What is a maharishi?)
(Alex: The word is [*], as in maha[*].)

STARTS WITH A MONTH ABBREV. $400: Also something seen in a kitchen, it's the border around a golf course green
(Andrew: What is the fringe?)

STARTS WITH A MONTH ABBREV. $1000: As a noun, it refers to a soothsayer; as a verb, it means to predict or divine

STARTS WITH A MONTH ABBREV. $200: You may see this word meaning "infected" in front of "tank"
(Alex: The month is September. The word is [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Emily: $5,200
Scott: $2,800
Andrew: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
UTOPIA (3/5)
THE WILD WEST (3/4)
"PH" TEST (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BAD MOTHERS FILM FEST (5/5) (Alex: And sort of in honor of Mother's Day this Sunday, we have a...)
RWANDA (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
3 CHEERS FOR THE BLUE, GREEN & YELLOW (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Scott: 7 R, 0 W
Emily: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Scott had $11,600, Emily had $4,400, and Andrew was at $4,800. Andrew wagered $4,000.

"PH" TEST $1200: A finger bone, or a formation of soldiers

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Andrew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Scott had $13,600, Emily had $4,400, and Andrew was at $11,600. Andrew wagered $2,000.

RWANDA $1600: Rwanda got its independence from this small European country in 1962
(Andrew: What is the Netherlands?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE WILD WEST $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Deadwood, SD.) In 1876, "Wild" Bill Hickok moved to Deadwood & became a regular at the poker tables where, on August 2nd, he was shot by Jack McCall holding the dead-man's hand, reportedly a queen or a 9 & these four cards

UTOPIA $1200: Lutherans led by George Rapp left Pennsylvania to found a utopia in 1814 at New Harmony in this state
(Andrew: What is Ohio?)
(Emily: What is Delaware?)

UTOPIA $1600: He described a libertarian utopia in his 1966 sci-fi novel "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress"
(Emily: Who is Lovecraft?)

"PH" TEST $2000: Need a house-warming gift? How about this houseplant?
(Andrew: What is a ficus?)

RWANDA $2000: In the 1970s locals in Rwanda called this great ape biologist "the old lady who lives alone on the mountain"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Scott: $13,600
Andrew: $11,200
Emily: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MASCOTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Scott: Wager $8,801 to cover Andrew.
Andrew: Try wagering $799, which is as much as you can put up against Scott without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Emily.
Emily: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Andrew, but if Andrew decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For the first time in almost 100 years, this pro team has an official mascot, a bear named Clark

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $5,200 - $4,900 = $300 (Who are the Chicago Bears) (3rd place)
Andrew: $11,200 - $2,401 = $8,799 (Who are the Portland T) (New champion: $8,799)
Scott: $13,600 - $8,801 = $4,799 (Who are the Bruins?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Scott: $15,200, 15 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Andrew: $10,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: $5,200, 12 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 18/60 = .300
Scott: 15/59 = .254
Emily: 12/58 = .207
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AMERICA'S GOT TALONS $200: We'll give you no quarter if you can't figure out this bird's identity

AMERICA'S GOT TALONS $600: The red-tailed type of this bird is seen here; if the cameraman is a mouse, he's in trouble

AMERICA'S GOT TALONS $1000: A golf tourney was the scene of a catch made by this seabird, also the name of a tiltrotor hybrid aircraft

RWANDA $400: On Rwanda's flag, green represents vegetation, including these two hot beverage crops that are major exports
[Scott made the first selection in the round, though he was tied with Andrew.]

3 CHEERS FOR THE BLUE, GREEN & YELLOW $1600: Marlene Dietrich is seen here in this 1930 film that made her an international star

"PH" TEST $1600: Old-time soda fountain drink made by blending carbonated water & flavored syrup
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

3 CHEERS FOR THE BLUE, GREEN & YELLOW $800: After a defeat by Uruguay in 1950, this nation's soccer team switched to its now-famous yellow jerseys
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
UCLA
Olive Kitteridge
rani
apron
auger
septic
a phalanx
Belgium
aces & 8s
Indiana
Robert Heinlein
a philodendron
Dian Fossey
the Chicago Cubs
a bald eagle
a hawk
an osprey
tea & coffee
The Blue Angel
a phosphate
Brazil
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Mascots
For the first time in almost 100 years, this pro team has an official mascot, a bear named Clark.

Spoiler
Who are the Chicago Cubs? Emily said the Chicago Bears; Andrew was going for the Portland Trail Blazers; Scott said the Bruins.

Scott Ylinen: $13,600-$8,801=$4,799
Andrew Haringer: $11,200-$2,401=$8,799...now a 1-day champion with $8,799
Emily Bialowas: $5,200-$4,900=$300
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 07, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

And here I was idly wondering after Alex's opening comments if there has been any super champ (or at least anyone who has appeared in a TOC) who has won all their games (except, of course, their last) by lock. Scott obviously qualifies on half of that, but not enough of a sample size for his games to guarantee him a TOC berth. Too bad. :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Squamish!!! Honestly the most beautiful part of the world I have ever visited. I knew who I was pulling for in this game pretty early.

Yet another cringey weird-ass category with the month abbreviations. And once again it falls flat as a pancake (although septic should not have been a TS).

Couldn't believe Andrew didn't pull out Belgium considering how much of a role they play in Hotel Rwanda but hey.

Were we supposed to make the Clark-Superman-Chicago connection for FJ? That's what I did, even though just thinking about teams that have been around for a while and would have a bear for a mascot might have been easier.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:And here I was idly wondering after Alex's opening comments if there has been any super champ (or at least anyone who has appeared in a TOC) who has won all their games (except, of course, their last) by lock. Scott obviously qualifies on half of that, but not enough of a sample size for his games to guarantee him a TOC berth. Too bad. :(
Do they switch out the audience in between the morning and afternoon tapings? I know Alex likes to pretend we think they only tape one game a day, but I wondered if his comment about a new audience was related to that.

I thought Frank Spangenberg did that, but he was just shy of a lock in his third game. In fact, he would have trailed if one of his opponents had gotten the DD on the 28th DJ clue right. However, he had a sole get in FJ, so it really didn't matter.

I hated to see Chris go. I've been watching the 1990s BOTD games on Daytime Jeopardy this week and it has featured a couple games where the leader bet small in FJ in situations like today's scores. In those games, second place had a lock and bet small. The leader also bet small (or zero) to seal the win before Alex even read the clue.

The strategy would have worked today as second still bet small, but did put his lock at risk as he could have lost on a sole solve by third place.

I started with the Bears, but it seemed too obvious. I wondered if the name Clark had some significance but couldn't think of anything. (Did Clark Griswald wear a Cubs hat in the first Vacation movie?) I switched to the Cubs for no reason that I couldn't think of anything else.

I got worried when Alex said something about a team being around 100 years. The Cubs are much older than 100. But the Bears were founded in 1919, so that would fit the clue saying "almost 100 years".
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Bamaman wrote: I hated to see Chris go.
But good riddance to Scott, right?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Is it odd that the correct FJ! response was the same as it was 242 shows ago?
(Not that I'm complaining--I need all the help I can get, especially with sports clues. :D )
As a Chicago native I'm biased but curious--how common is the knowledge that Clark is one the streets bordering Wrigley?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

grindcore wrote:
Oops!!!!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

grindcore wrote: Were we supposed to make the Clark-Superman-Chicago connection for FJ? That's what I did, even though just thinking about teams that have been around for a while and would have a bear for a mascot might have been easier.
Yeah, I think this was more suited for Sports Jeopardy!, those who are sports nuts would get it, the rest of us, not so much. (I also fell into the Trailblazers trap going off Clark as in Lewis and, after first visiting, then dismissing Boston (for no real reason). Tough.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Carpe Diem wrote:Is it odd that the correct FJ! response was the same as it was 242 shows ago?
(Not that I'm complaining--I need all the help I can get, especially with sports clues. :D )
As a Chicago native I'm biased but curious--how common is the knowledge that Clark is one the streets bordering Wrigley?
Now I remember. I used to post on a sports board and there was a guy whose username was Clark Addison. The street I associate most with the park is Waveland.
Oona

Post by Oona »

grindcore wrote:
Maybe Chris is the name of the moustache.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Bamaman wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Is it odd that the correct FJ! response was the same as it was 242 shows ago?
Now I remember. I used to post on a sports board and there was a guy whose username was Clark Addison. The street I associate most with the park is Waveland.
I wonder how many folks associate Wrigley with Addison thanks to The Blues Brothers? :)
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I like the Superman train of thought previously posted, but I remembered Addison and Clark.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:The street I associate most with the park is Waveland.
That's the only one I'm familiar with, too.

I went with the Bruins (although looking it up, they're only 91).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

grindcore wrote:Were we supposed to make the Clark-Superman-Chicago connection for FJ?
What connection is that?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Precalled Johnny Cash shooting a man in Reno in Criminality in Song. I thought the Aerosmith song was undervalued at $200.

Septic = infected?!? Huh?!?

I thought "Thomas More" was way undervalued at $400. The whole category was totally impenetrable IMO except Oneida.

Lach Trash: Aces and 8's.

Had Rwanda down as an 0/5 before any clues came up.

No guess on FJ! Even when Da Bears were negged, that still didn't trigger anything. I think it's because I don't think of just bears when I hear the word "cub".
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Scott had a nice run; congratulations on the three wins. I had 29 correct responses including the triple-stumpers of apron, aces and eights, Indiana, and philodendron. I also got the missed DD of UCLA, but had no guess for FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Not common at all, but as a former resident of the Chicago area, I smacked my head with a duh! when I made the Clark connection.

My initial thought was the Bears, who I knew did not go back far enough, then bounced to the Cubbies.

Sort of surprised this was a TS.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

For a sports fan like me, bear + over 100 years old (MLB is the only league that old) was a slam dunk. For others, yikes. If you don't make the immediate bear-->cub leap, you're probably stuck following 'Clark' down all sorts of dead ends.

I'm glad Andrew didn't make the usual all-in wager, but he really shouldn't have bet anything at all. Ditto Emily, since she only wins if Andrew makes the aforementioned suicide wager.

Sorry to see the mustache go. The player it was attached to wasn't half bad either.