7,000th episode minisite

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

7,000th episode minisite

Post by Robert K S »

Oh, great. Jeopardy! just has a way of perpetuating confusion. Now it has a new minisite to celebrate its 7,000th episode--but without stating for the record which episode was its 7,000th! Yes, we know that the 7,000th new episode to be aired was #7065, wrapping up the week last Friday. But it would've been nice to have some official confirmation of that fact.

http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/7000/

The bulk of the minisite is some factoids, and a couple of videos.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: 7,000th episode minisite

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:Oh, great. Jeopardy! just has a way of perpetuating confusion. Now it has a new minisite to celebrate its 7,000th episode--but without stating for the record which episode was its 7,000th! Yes, we know that the 7,000th new episode to be aired was #7065, wrapping up the week last Friday. But it would've been nice to have some official confirmation of that fact.

http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/7000/

The bulk of the minisite is some factoids, and a couple of videos.
Their Facebook page says it's tomorrow's episode (?!?!?!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you eliminate the clip show and Pat Sajak's game, today is Alex's 7000th episode, not counting Super Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:If you eliminate the clip show and Pat Sajak's game, today is Alex's 7000th episode, not counting Super Jeopardy!.
I thought it might have had something to dow with the two-part Watson game.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

To get number of episodes aired in the Trebek era, subtract 65 from the show number (for the 65 reruns given new show numbers in the summer after Season 1).
To get number of episodes hosted by Alex Trebek, subtract 1 more (for the April 1, 1997 game hosted by Pat Sajak).
To get number of games of Jeopardy! played in the Trebek era, subtract 2 more (for the "4000th episode" clip show and the Watson game played over two separate episodes).
To get the episode count for any arbitrary date, add 195*2 for the episodes in the first two seasons plus 230*X for every complete season up to Season X after that, then count calendar weekdays from the Season X + 1 premiere date and add that to the count.

It appears from the 7,000th episode minisite that they will be airing a retrospective on Wednesday. We can presume from the Howdies that a game will be played and it will not just be a clip show. But Wednesday doesn't mark the 7,000th episode aired. It might have been the 7,000th episode taped, if there was some weirdness created by celebrity tapings.
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

Is it possible that certain episodes "don't count?"

For instance, I don't know how many Celebrity games there have been, but if 70-ish is close maybe that's how they're figuring it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

DadofTwins wrote:Is it possible that certain episodes "don't count?"

For instance, I don't know how many Celebrity games there have been, but if 70-ish is close maybe that's how they're figuring it.
I'm certain that a) celeb games are "canon" and b) the bulk of the discrepancy is the Season 1 decision to give summer repeats new numbers.