Fun With Idiotest

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Fun With Idiotest

Post by bpmod »

OrangeSAM wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Playing the online game again. Already mentioned the spaghetti one earlier. Now this one:
Spoiler
I got nothin'.
This is very subtle, I'll give you that. Took me a bit of time to get it.
I must be missing something subtle, then, because the answer seems to be glaringly obvious.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OK, it took me maybe 5 seconds.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Spoiler
I'm guessing the intended answer is...

...the airplane?

And the reason it's supposed to be tricky is that they expect us to start by considering the four objects on the table next to the briefcase (pineapple, novel, toaster, top hat)?

And then the "aha" moment is supposed to be realizing that we could click on the airplane, rather than one of the four objects to the right of the briefcase?

I've seen the earlier Idiotest puzzles in this thread and I think the above description is how this puzzle is supposed to work.

However, this time, I honestly thought of the airplane before considering any of the four objects to the right of the briefcase. To me, the first interpretation of the words "What would this briefcase fit inside?" is "What larger object could this briefcase go into", and the other possible interpretation "What would this briefcase be able to fit inside of itself?" only occurred to me afterwards.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

skullturf wrote:
Spoiler

...the airplane?

And the reason it's supposed to be tricky is that they expect us to start by considering the four objects on the table next to the briefcase (pineapple, novel, toaster, top hat)?
Spoiler
That's the biggest gimmick to these. They give you a group of objects, but the intended answer is not part of that group, it's a background item.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So apparently the answer is "I just don't know how to do these".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:
skullturf wrote:
Spoiler

...the airplane?

Spoiler
That's the biggest gimmick to these. They give you a group of objects, but the intended answer is not part of that group, it's a background item.
I have no idea why we're spoilering this, but I'll play along:
Spoiler
Huh? Isn't the point of the question that there is an implicit 'of it' at the end of the question? I.e., What would this briefcase fit inside of it? Which I took to mean the book.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

Subtle? Isn't it..
Spoiler
the airplane?
.. doesn't seem very subtle to me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
Yes, this isn't an actual photograph of random items with an airplane flying in the background. They are deliberately chosen objects placed on the screen. I guess the trick is people eliminate it because it is just too obvious
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So I was bored and messed around with the puzzles on the website:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Either my brain is fried and I'm missing something obvious, or I'm going crazy because it's telling me the right answer is the orange juice...
BobF

Post by BobF »

Spoiler
Look ALLLLL the way to the right near the bottom
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

xxaaaxx wrote:So I was bored and messed around with the puzzles on the website:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Either my brain is fried and I'm missing something obvious, or I'm going crazy because it's telling me the right answer is the orange juice...
Spoiler
Go right! Go right!
OCSam
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Spoiler
Lemme clarify: I know the riddle. I know that 'water' is the answer to the riddle. But clicking the water doesn't work. Clicking the glass of OJ in the middle gives me credit for a right answer, and I don't understand why
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

alietr wrote:
Volante wrote:
skullturf wrote:
Spoiler

...the airplane?

Spoiler
I have no idea why we're spoilering this, but I'll play along:
Spoiler
Huh? Isn't the point of the question that there is an implicit 'of it' at the end of the question? I.e., What would this briefcase fit inside of it? Which I took to mean the book.
I completely agree that this is a possible interpretation of the wording in the question.

I'm just saying that this particular puzzle didn't have the same psychological effect on me as other Idiotest puzzles. (That could be because I was being smarter than usual, or because I was being dumber than usual.)

The way most Idiotest puzzles seem to work is: We have (a) the interpretation that most people tend to think of at first glance, and (b) the other interpretation that most people don't think of right away, where you have to think slightly "outside the box", but also very literally in some sense.

I just thought this was a little different from the other Idiotest puzzles because I honestly wasn't sure which of the two interpretations would be the interpretation that most people would think of first.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, what was the 'answer'?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A puzzle from a 6/21/16 episode:
Spoiler

The answer:
Spoiler
Why it's correct:
Spoiler
1 quarter and $0.25 are the same amount of money while "Twenty Five-Cents" is equal to one dollar (20 of five-cents).

The best part of it was the contestant guessing correctly because he said something about kids always ripping you off. :)
davey

Post by davey »

Spoiler
The one in the middle is a dollar because of the placement of the hyphen...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I started at that a good five minutes and didn't even see the misplaced hyphen. Any way to make me less blind?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I started at that a good five minutes and didn't even see the misplaced hyphen. Any way to make me less blind?
Do you see it now that it's been pointed out to you? If so, just try to approach the questions remembering that there is going to be something tricky about them. Also remember that there is going to be a correct answer (or at least, one they think is correct) - they've set it up that way.

In this case, the question had to do with prices, so focus on the prices. At first glance, they all look exactly the same. So there must be something different about one of them.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got the answer, but for completely the wrong reason. I reasoned that the middle stand was the only one that was advertising lemonade. The others may have looked like they were selling lemonade, but it could have been something different entirely.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

They should do another one, with one stand offering lemonade for .25¢ a glass, then ask which one is cheapest.