Fun With Idiotest

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Fun With Idiotest

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh, THAT ivy. Excuse me for not having the super duper eagle eyes you apparently need to see this crap.
Are you doing all this on your phone?
I am and saw it right away. "Eagle eyes" aren't something I claim to have but, per my .sig, I pay attention to things, which made me notice the ivy instantly. Since TPH is "not Jeopardy material" per his rank, he also doesn't notice things. But, TPH, don't think we are some kind of freaks or idiotest is trying to pull a fast one when our (and, frankly, most people's) brains work differently than yours.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh, THAT ivy. Excuse me for not having the super duper eagle eyes you apparently need to see this crap.
No, I was looking at it on the laptop
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Huh. How wide is your screen approximately? What percentage of that width was taken up by the picture? On my screen, if you can barely make out the ivy, there's no way you're able to read these tiny letters.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Huh. How wide is your screen approximately? What percentage of that width was taken up by the picture? On my screen, if you can barely make out the ivy, there's no way you're able to read these tiny letters.
My original post of the pic took up about 75% the width of a 13 inch monitor. Long and short of it is that I just didn't notice the ivy because I'm ridiculously unobservant.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

dhkendall wrote:"Eagle eyes" aren't something I claim to have but, per my .sig, I pay attention to things, which made me notice the ivy instantly.
Not to take sides on the larger issue at hand, but I would very much hesitate to say that being an intellectually curious person and being good at noticing physical details are in any way the same thing.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

flutist319 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:"Eagle eyes" aren't something I claim to have but, per my .sig, I pay attention to things, which made me notice the ivy instantly.
Not to take sides on the larger issue at hand, but I would very much hesitate to say that being an intellectually curious person and being good at noticing physical details are in any way the same thing.
Apologies but apparently I haven't read my .sig in a while (due to computer problems, that post, and all others of the past two months were made on my phone which doesn't show .sigs), I thought it had something about paying attention tot he world around you in it as well. Mea culpa.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have to wonder if I have some sort of processing error. Like, I was expecting the ivy to look different somehow, so that thing all the way to the right didn't register as "ivy" to my eyes.

It's the same thing I have when I'm looking for something that I've lost in the house. I tear the house apart. I look right at it a billion times. I check the exact spot where I know I saw it last. I still don't find it. Because my mind is telling me that what I'm looking for is blue and round, when it's actually red and square.

(Of course, I still don't find it even after I do remember that it's red and square, but that's another issue entirely...)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:It's the same thing I have when I'm looking for something that I've lost in the house. I tear the house apart. I look right at it a billion times. I check the exact spot where I know I saw it last. I still don't find it. Because my mind is telling me that what I'm looking for is blue and round, when it's actually red and square.

(Of course, I still don't find it even after I do remember that it's red and square, but that's another issue entirely...)
But one thing I can say for certain is that it is ALWAYS in the very last place you look.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I have to wonder if I have some sort of processing error. Like, I was expecting the ivy to look different somehow, so that thing all the way to the right didn't register as "ivy" to my eyes.

It's the same thing I have when I'm looking for something that I've lost in the house. I tear the house apart. I look right at it a billion times. I check the exact spot where I know I saw it last. I still don't find it. Because my mind is telling me that what I'm looking for is blue and round, when it's actually red and square.

I once drove two hours to see if I'd left my glasses in a restaurant. When we got home I found them in five seconds.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:It's the same thing I have when I'm looking for something that I've lost in the house. I tear the house apart. I look right at it a billion times. I check the exact spot where I know I saw it last. I still don't find it. Because my mind is telling me that what I'm looking for is blue and round, when it's actually red and square.

But one thing I can say for certain is that it is ALWAYS in the very last place you look.

Brian
Or in the only place I don't look.

"Are you sure it's not in the car?" "Why would it be in the car?! I am DEAD CERTAIN that I brought it in!" And so I continue to tear apart the whole house for the next four hours, because I remember plain as day taking it in the house.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

flutist319 wrote:
I really don't notice physical details around me very much; I'm just not a visual person. I see them and can recognize them, obviously, but I don't keep the picture in my head. For example, I couldn't tell you the eye color of people I've known for years - but I'd notice if it were different. I'm good at this type of puzzle, though. When I'm looking for something, I pick out the details.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

bpmod wrote:But one thing I can say for certain is that it is ALWAYS in the very last place you look.
If you find it in the second- or third-from-last place you look, then there's a real problem.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

These are from Feb. 2nd. Puzzle #1:
Spoiler
The correct answer in green:
Spoiler
Why it's the right answer:
Spoiler
The letter P spells porpoise, puppy and purple.
Puzzle #2:
Spoiler
The right answer in green:
Spoiler
Why it's the right answer:
Spoiler
The letters in HEART can be read in a different order to spell EARTH...Earth, Wind & Fire.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

*sound of TPH's head exploding*
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:These are from Feb. 2nd. Puzzle #1:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Added bonus, there's a porpoise, a puppy and purple in the image as well. I spent more time going, "Why is there a dog in the aquarium?..." than trying to decode the words

...which obviously makes sense when you read the question.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote:*sound of TPH's head exploding*
I'm guessing he had no problem with the second question.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:Puzzle #2:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Funny thing is, the second I saw it, I went looking for 'earth', found it immediately, then had to a second look at the image because I was thinking, "hmm, I wonder what the all the shapes are for". I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I actually got both of those right away.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:*sound of TPH's head exploding*
I'm guessing he had no problem with the second question.
Notwithstanding his later statement that he got both, I thought it would be the first that he'd have the least problems with, Wheel of Fortune whiz that he is.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Clearly the wordplay ones are where I do better. The visual and logical ones are what kill me.

In the first one, the letter P was clearly visible in the SEA PLANET sign. Had it been one of those cases where "none of the words on the screen has a P in them, but some obscure background graphic happens to make a P shape", then I don't think I'd have gotten it.