Monday, May 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Monday, May 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

Many congrats, Choyon! Yes, if there was a BWA for FJ, you'd have it. Gulag got me, too, but on consideration I agree that it should be negged. And would it be tasteless to refer to Choyon's late game surges as a "dead cat bounce"? :twisted:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MitchO wrote:So, are you aware that USA Today is calling your response for FJ "One of the greatest answers on Jeopardy! ever"? :)
The "Kinky Boots" clip was also the coda to the "Your World in 90 Seconds" montage on this morning's CBS This Morning. Something makes me think Charlie Rose was behind that.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

immaf wrote:
SMH at people not knowing Airplane! You should all be sent to a Turkish prison.
Guilty as charged. My answer for that question was "Shirley". Wrong, but funny!
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

immaf wrote:
SMH at people not knowing Airplane! You should all be sent to a Turkish prison.
Guilty as charged. My answer for that question was "Shirley". Wrong, but funny!
I said that too. Surely the best remembered pun from that movie.
billiej

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote:Obvious in hindsight, but zero chance of getting it.
Yep, major headslap at the reveal. I've seen the musical and also knew it was the title of a hymn and STILL couldn't come up with it in 30 seconds. I was rattling off recent musicals in my head and Kinky Boots actually came to mind. It gave me a little chuckle at least. :lol:

I don't know if I can live in a world where people do not know about Otto Pilot. :P
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

billiej wrote:I don't know if I can live in a world where people do not know about Otto Pilot. :P
I even gave it as an answer in a recent TD.
brick

Post by brick »

HuffPo's take on the Kinky Boots answer is kind of sad. They don't seem to realize that it was an intentional joke.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/2 ... 41178.html
It was clear from Manjrekar's expression that he had just made a wild guess. “Kinky Boots, yes indeed!” Trebek quipped as the audience laughed. “Whenever people go to temple or go to church, they sing 'Kinky Boots'!”

Fortunately, the contestant did not wager any money on the clue, and still came out on top.
brick

Post by brick »

billiej wrote: I don't know if I can live in a world where people do not know about Otto Pilot. :P
I admit to groaning when that went unanswered.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

"What is Kinky Boots?" may have been the funniest response on Jeopardy since "What's a hoe?" back in 2004. I imagine that Final will have a very low get rate on the next poll.
The combined Coryats in the last few weeks have been quite low; this episode had only $27200. My at-home score was $23000 (clammed on Sinai). I too groaned when nobody got "Otto," but remember that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar forgot who he had to drag up and down the court for 48 minutes: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3178
Hoping for a third lap
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote:
billiej wrote: I don't know if I can live in a world where people do not know about Otto Pilot. :P
I admit to groaning when that went unanswered.
I was too busy groaning that we once again had deer-in-the-headlights contestants. They were both locked out. Choyon had made this easy for them to calculate on the fly since he had $14,000 to their $6,600 each. True, there were two clues left on the board. Maybe neither loser realized the time situation made it unlikely that either clue would be revealed. I was hoping at least one of them would figure it out and ring in to say SOMETHING.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

StevenH wrote:Congrats to Choyon on another win! I was worried; you looked like you may have been mentally exhausted, but I'm glad that you were able to build momentum towards the end of DJ!

I enjoyed this board. I am usually horrible at Bible categories, but that one that came up in the DJ round still seemed like it was very difficult.

Golden Girls had no business at the bottom of the board.

I had zero chance on this FJ. That title didn't really ring a bell at all.
I don't think I've ever seen the category "Hymns" before, but I was salivating when I saw it.

Then my brain hit the wall. What the heck Jewish holiday? Purim? Yom Kippur? Rosh Hashannah? Sokkoth? The anniversary of Hitler's death (thank you, Jesse Owens)? No hymns by any of those names.

At the reveal, I thought of course I've heard of the hymn, but never heard of a Jewish holiday called Rock of Ages, or a B-way show either. Zip, nada, zilch. Dumb clue anyway.

But ya just gotta love "Kinky Boots." :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

brick wrote:HuffPo's take on the Kinky Boots answer is kind of sad. They don't seem to realize that it was an intentional joke.

It was clear from Manjrekar's expression that he had just made a wild guess. “Kinky Boots, yes indeed!” Trebek quipped as the audience laughed. “Whenever people go to temple or go to church, they sing 'Kinky Boots'!”

Fortunately, the contestant did not wager any money on the clue, and still came out on top.
I can't tell but they might be one of those people who think they make their wager *after* they put down their answer - a subset, I'm sure, of people who think the show is taped same day as air.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dhkendall wrote:I can't tell but they might be one of those people who think they make their wager *after* they put down their answer - a subset, I'm sure, of people who think the show is taped same day as air.
You'd be surprised at the number of reasonably intelligent people who think the show is live or "plausibly live" (to use an NBC Olympics term). More than one person at my J! viewing party wondered how I got back from LA to Virginia so fast.
brick

Post by brick »

dhkendall wrote:
brick wrote:HuffPo's take on the Kinky Boots answer is kind of sad. They don't seem to realize that it was an intentional joke.

I can't tell but they might be one of those people who think they make their wager *after* they put down their answer - a subset, I'm sure, of people who think the show is taped same day as air.
Your comment reminds me of a lightbulb moment I had just the other day. Probably everyone else has tumbled to this long since: There are often timely categories. If there is a holiday there might be a category related to it, etc, right? So when I as a viewer am sitting home watching I am aware that Memorial Day is this weekend, and I have been seeing things all over to put me in mind of it. The contestants, of course, are answering from more of a timeless point in the past without that advantage. So when I get the answer right I feel super smart, but it was harder for them. I think that viewers thinking they have a shot is part of building viewership, and that time advantage contributes.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

brick wrote:Your comment reminds me of a lightbulb moment I had just the other day. Probably everyone else has tumbled to this long since: There are often timely categories. If there is a holiday there might be a category related to it, etc, right? So when I as a viewer am sitting home watching I am aware that Memorial Day is this weekend, and I have been seeing things all over to put me in mind of it. The contestants, of course, are answering from more of a timeless point in the past without that advantage. So when I get the answer right I feel super smart, but it was harder for them. I think that viewers thinking they have a shot is part of building viewership, and that time advantage contributes.
They announce the air date when they record the show, so contestants who are on their toes can think about what sorts of "timely" categories/clues might be offered. This is one of the many tips that Bob Harris offers in his memoir Prisoner of Trebekistan, which is required reading for all J! contestant wannabes.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Surely you can't be serious!

( Insert joke here. )
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
brick

Post by brick »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
brick wrote:Your comment reminds me of a lightbulb moment I had just the other day. Probably everyone else has tumbled to this long since: There are often timely categories. If there is a holiday there might be a category related to it, etc, right? So when I as a viewer am sitting home watching I am aware that Memorial Day is this weekend, and I have been seeing things all over to put me in mind of it. The contestants, of course, are answering from more of a timeless point in the past without that advantage. So when I get the answer right I feel super smart, but it was harder for them. I think that viewers thinking they have a shot is part of building viewership, and that time advantage contributes.
They announce the air date when they record the show, so contestants who are on their toes can think about what sorts of "timely" categories/clues might be offered. This is one of the many tips that Bob Harris offers in his memoir Prisoner of Trebekistan, which is required reading for all J! contestant wannabes.
That makes sense.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Why people even waste time and bandwidth on the 'HuffPo' is beyond me. I never liked Ariana Huffington and her annoying 'Zsa Zsa' voice, anyway(why does a Greek sound like Zsa Zsa in the first place?), and once she no longer had anything to do with the day-to-day operation of the site, it turned into yet another blog for hack 'journalists', who inject stupid subjective commentary like the above example into every story.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Choyon's response (after this long?) made George Takei's Facebook feed.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Happy Chanukkah to the boardies who celebrate it. Since "Kinky Boots" has the same number of syllables as "Ma'oz Tzur" or "Rock of Ages", I will interchange those phrases whenever singing it during this holiday. Thank you, Choyon, for the inspiration.