Thursday, June 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Lefty »

willwoodlen wrote:I had no good answer to FJ either. I went with Rhodes, thinking of the Colossians as recipients of some of Paul's epistles and going from there to the Colossus of Rhodes, even though I was almost sure they weren't an island people. And it turns out they weren't.
That was my approach too. Didn't feel promising, but you have to try.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dharrisf wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Darren: You have played 6/6 DDs to demonstrate nice board control. The Coryat going from 19800 to 25200 was a impressive jump, so it must have been comfortable to be at the champ's spot? It seems like you must have ordered the right lunch in the commissary.
Thanks! Yes, I felt very fortunate that my first game was followed by the lunch break, which gave me a chance to catch my breath and compose myself. As for lunch, I'd read in Chuck Forrest and Mark Lowenthal's Secrets of the Jeopardy! Champions that you shouldn't eat a heavy lunch because it could slow you down in afternoon game play, so I had a salad with some proteins added in. When we gathered in the Jeopardy! section of the commissary, Maggie asked me, "So what ya eatin', champ?" and seemed to nod approvingly when I told her. I also avoided the pile of candy bars she and Corina brought in. I like candy, but didn't want to risk crashing off a sugar high.
At lunch when I taped, I had a banana and a tuna melt with some fries; I was apparently amped up enough that I didn't have the appetite to finish the sandwich. (People who have eaten with me before would have been surprised.) I still wonder if that helped keep me from floundering alongside my opponents in the game that followed.
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

Yay for Geometry! :) I wish those categories showed up more often.

I got 22 R, including Lach Trash of "convex" and "Abraham Lincoln"
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The Archive has Veterans' Day with the apostrophe after the "s". I checked my J! calendar and that has it the same way.
I looked at four different wall calendars and those all have it as Veterans Day without the apostrophe. Is is like Presidents Day with it hard to have everyone on agreement on to ' or not to ' ?
I moved the apostrophe... the closed captioners had it as "Veteran's"!
The US Code section setting out the holidays (5 USC 6103) has no apostrophe in Veterans.

One of the worst games for me in a long time, beginning (saying "semiotics" for "syntax"!) to end (I might have written Malta if I hadn't had a brainstorm - Wait, isn't there a Greek island associated with Paul? Yeah, Patma!! But it's Patmos, and it's associated with John... :evil: )
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

FJ.. I could not remember my Bible ,(what little I do know ) but I came up with Malta. It just seemed right at the time.
I also went 5/5 in Simpsons. I guess it was not a total waste of time watching all of those shows.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
earendel

Post by earendel »

FWIW in the KJV the island is called "Melita".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."