Friday, June 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Friday, June 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

KazooJ!fan wrote:I picked the wrong ship for FJ. I went with the Titanic, remembering that 2012 was the 100th anniversary of the sinking.
I'm surprised nobody wrote that down.

Darren played well again. I will be watching on Monday.
That was my first thought, but it didn't fit the rest of the clue. Came up with the right answer (albeit an educated guess) at the 25th second.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Add me to those who said Titanic because of the 2012 anniversary. My mom and I tried and failed to make something of the date in the clue.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Concordia - wonder if they would have credited that (if it had been the right ship)?

Tough week for FJs.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Final j was BS. Anyone who has seen Waterworld knows that the Exxon Valdez has many more years in it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: My first choice was the Costa Concordia, but I couldn't remember its name. Then I thought of the Exxon Valdez, but I don't know if I would have written it down - I thought it was wrecked at the time of the spill.
Concordia was what I was trying to think of too, but I couldn't, and left it blank.
As far as the Valdez, it got fixed and a new name slapped on (and it got wrecked at least once with the new name, too).
Woppy T wrote:Final j was BS. Anyone who has seen Waterworld knows that the Exxon Valdez has many more years in it.
So, just you then? :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
brick

Post by brick »

Volante wrote:
Woppy T wrote:Final j was BS. Anyone who has seen Waterworld knows that the Exxon Valdez has many more years in it.
So, just you then? :D
I had this correct answer, but you beat me on the buzzer.
brick

Post by brick »

Coryat $22,800. Almost precalled FJ, in the sense of, "well, boat with worst reputation in recent history? I got one." Possibly there are other boats I should have been thinking if but I wasn't.

Concordia. Need to look that up.

In any case, doing great Champ. Congratulations! As a viewer I never love it when a lock ends the game before FJ, but I imagine it feels great at the podium. Best of luck in the past!
KathyWellsville
Contributor

Post by KathyWellsville »

coryat was $41,600. guessed rainbow warrior for FJ. I gave myself this weeks worth of games to relax and not study. Now to get down to preparing in case I get called. I have zero clue how to do that, but I do know I need to learn how to spell Iceland's capital in case its a FJ answer, if I get on.
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

brick wrote:Coryat $22,800. Almost precalled FJ, in the sense of, "well, boat with worst reputation in recent history? I got one." Possibly there are other boats I should have been thinking if but I wasn't.

Concordia. Need to look that up.

In any case, doing great Champ. Congratulations! As a viewer I never love it when a lock ends the game before FJ, but I imagine it feels great at the podium. Best of luck in the past!
IIRC Costa Concordia was a cruise ship that wrecked someplace in the Meditteranean. I was nowhere near this. I would have needed a clue about a year where something happened involving the ship to have a shot at this.

Another lock game for Darren. He's got the look of a superchamp for sure. I'm impressed by the way he can kill it in academic, pop culture, and wordplay categories alike - a true triple threat. I feel like I learned more about his abilities this game as he was challenged more this go round.

Felt bad for Daniel who could have really shaken things up if he had been able to come up with that DD. (Anyone who played Risk as much as I did as a teenager was never going to forget Kamchatka.) If he'd been close to Darren going into FJ, he might have been able to win on the TS. Poor Mike just couldn't stop tripping over himself. He flashed some knowledge but would have better served holding back on buzzing a few more times.
Yes, there's gas in the car.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

This was the worst Coryat game I've had in a while: $26,400, mostly because I was watching it on DVR after midnight and showed no restraint at blurting out answers.

The question about Isaac Bashevis Singer was way undervalued as an $800 clue. It and Spoon River should have swapped places on the board. (Or maybe growing up in western Illinois near the real Spoon River has skewed my perspective.)

I'm glad to see Daniel show some guts on the Daily Doubles, despite not coming up with Kamchatka and effectively turning the game into a lock with many clues to go. There's been a ton of fearful or flat-out bad wagering for several weeks now, and it's about time we see some risks taken during gameplay.

I had to first cycle through Costa Concordia and all the space shuttles, but I came up with Exxon Valdez about halfway through the think music. I've not done well on final clues this week, so I'll take it.
Last edited by 9021amyers on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

When C2H4 came up in a clue I was wondering why that was not in the Easy Science category, then I found out that CH4 was the reason. :)

I think the River Kwai clue was confusing. My initial interpretation was that the clue asked for "it" where it is a bridge over or on a river. But the clue also asked for "this" novel so "What is a bridge?" would clearly not work. The contestant responded with the name of the river, which made sense to me because the category is about rivers in books. Then we had Alex's request for a full title leading to the rather awkward "What is Bridge Over On the River Kwai?" being a correct response.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,600
43 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget...and then :oops:
LT: The Equalizer, white asparagus, portobello, solstices

Quite the "what might have been" game for me. I did fairly well, but I also tied my one-day clam record with seven (West Virginia, ethylene, Hank Williams, Sr., Hudson, Oedipus complex, lizards, Greenland). Then I committed the cardinal sin. It doesn't matter how much your story makes sense. It doesn't matter how much you figure this time will be different. Don't ever change your answer. Ever. At all. For any reason.

I instantly wrote down Exxon Valdez, then thought, well, would Nature have given an obituary to the Valdez? What about the Rainbow Warrior? I think that ship recently went out of commission, and I could see Nature writing a laudatory obituary since the Greenpeace folks are all ostensibly about saving nature and whatnot but get a bad rap. Yeah. That makes a lot more sense. I'm confident with that answer. Boom, suckas. Give it to me, Alex.

MOTHERFATHER!

Learn from my mistakes, kids.
brick wrote:Concordia. Need to look that up.
You should, but as MDaunt was hinting, that's not the full name of the ship. It is (was? was, and now is again?) the Costa Concordia.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Second night in a row where I felt I wrote down the wrong answer for FJ but ended up being correct!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

This game was preempted in my area due to the USA-Sweden Women's World Cup match. Thank you, archivists, for posting this game so quickly.

Instaget FJ.
brick

Post by brick »

I remember the incident in the news but did not have the boat name. Lucky I didn't need it. ;)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

ElendilPickle wrote:I should have picked up on the Nature TOM. Instead, I went with the Bounty.
I only fleetingly wondered what "Nature" had to do with it (other than being the author of the obit), and never came up with anything as SPECIFIC as the Exxon Valdez. If anything, I thought it referred to a ship that messed up SOMETHING natural, which would be a lot of ships. I know the Costa Concordia didn't do nearly as much environmental damage as EV, but it made a right mess of the local area of the running aground. That plus the fact that I had confidently precalled CC, and, well, never got close to Prince William Sound. Poop. Unless you happened to have read/heard of this obit, I thought this was an unusually difficult clue. I know, they're all hard when you don't know them, but I don't think many people here actually "knew-knew" that factoid. Those on the board who got it seem to have done so by the "Nature" part of the clue.

I was, however, patting myself on the back for getting the TS on "crimino = portobello." That clue, in a different form, showed up on one of the contestant quizzes I took a few years back.

Wow. Mike just absolutely blew himself out of any hope in this game with all his wrong guesses, early, often, and not nearly offset by lots of high-value gets. Must be tough to get one shot only, and use it the way he did.

On the other hand, congrats to Darren for qualifying for the J! Players HoF. Now he can start aiming at other, loftier goals: $100K, ToC, greatest J! champ on his block, whatever. Nice run and looking better as he goes along.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I really felt bad for the guy in the middle during the chat segment. He was already in the hole and Alex dinged him for even more money. Talk about kicking someone when they're down.

No chance for me on FJ. I thought it was going to be something more recent. Nothing came to mind and went with the Titanic, thinking maybe it had finally completely fallen apart.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I instantly wrote down Exxon Valdez, then thought, well, would Nature have given an obituary to the Valdez? What about the Rainbow Warrior? I think that ship recently went out of commission, and I could see Nature writing a laudatory obituary since the Greenpeace folks are all ostensibly about saving nature and whatnot but get a bad rap. Yeah. That makes a lot more sense. I'm confident with that answer. Boom, suckas. Give it to me, Alex.
The Rainbow Warrior was sunk in 1985. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_o ... ow_Warrior
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Am I just old or was Benson overvalued in the bottom row?
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:Am I just old or was Benson overvalued in the bottom row?
Do we have to choose?