Consider helping a boardie live the dream!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Consider helping a boardie live the dream!

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:... I might spring for a few extra things that I might have let slide before (like [...] a complete look over of the car to ensure safe travels)
That should never be something you let slide.

Says the guy who was just named an Honourable Nominee for the 2014-2015 Outstanding School Bus Driver Award.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Maggie and Co. know about Jboard and J-archive, correct? Do they also know about the weekly Live Panel Discussions?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:Maggie and Co. know about Jboard and J-archive, correct? Do they also know about the weekly Live Panel Discussions?
As bpmod mentioned elsewhere on the board in a conversation he had with a CC: it's their job to know. (Remember, we know they lurk here, and the live panels are mentioned here.) When I made my list of everyone I have communicated with who has been on the show (71 names, if you're wondering) I included people I've been on Live Panels with too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

dhkendall wrote:There have been many other long-time boardies ... that ha[d] the same problem and got on.
I think the contestant coordinators are delighted when they find people who know the game, are used to its rhythms, know how to select categories, know not to interrupt Alex's cut to commercial after the 15th J! Round clue is played, know how to project their voices in cheery or businesslike ways that don't come across as shouting. They are looking for people who wanted to be on the show all their lives. I imagine that the only way to become so intimate with the show as to disqualify oneself is to have relationships with people who directly or indirectly work on the show or its parent companies, or to otherwise be employed in the industry. There is no amount of studying or (fair) gaming the show that will make a player so superpowered as to ruin the show by becoming a forever-champion. Everyone loses, and some of the best players lose before their first win.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

A few comments on fees and such:

1. PayPal charges no fee if it is linked to a bank account, or a much lower fee than GoFundMe if linked to a credit card. If there is a fee, it will be charged to the sender on top of the nominal amount sent, and the recepient will get the full nominal amount. (Example: you send $100, your credit card gets charged $101.50 or so, the recipient gets $100.)

2. GFM has much higher fees (over 7%) and they are subtracted from the nominal amount, so if you "send $100", the recipient gets something like $92-$93.

3. To be fair, each service states the fees very clearly. While I think GFM's fees are outrageoulsy high, they are definitely not hidden.

4. Forget about points 1-3, GFM has marketing appeal. A link to a personalized page probably makes more people contribute then and there, rather than think "Oh, I want to contribute... I'll get to that sometime next week..." So, outrageous fees or not, my guess is that GFM greatly helped dhkendall finance his trip, for which I am very glad.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Robert K S wrote:
dhkendall wrote:There have been many other long-time boardies ... that ha[d] the same problem and got on.
I think the contestant coordinators are delighted when they find people who know the game, are used to its rhythms, know how to select categories, know not to interrupt Alex's cut to commercial after the 15th J! Round clue is played, know how to project their voices in cheery or businesslike ways that don't come across as shouting. They are looking for people who wanted to be on the show all their lives. I imagine that the only way to become so intimate with the show as to disqualify oneself is to have relationships with people who directly or indirectly work on the show or its parent companies, or to otherwise be employed in the industry. There is no amount of studying or (fair) gaming the show that will make a player so superpowered as to ruin the show by becoming a forever-champion. Everyone loses, and some of the best players lose before their first win.
That's the ticket!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:Says the guy who was just named an Honourable Nominee for the 2014-2015 Outstanding School Bus Driver Award.
What makes your school bus so outstanding, and why do they let a guy like you drive it? :lol:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:Says the guy who was just named an Honourable Nominee for the 2014-2015 Outstanding School Bus Driver Award.
What makes your school bus so outstanding, and why do they let a guy like you drive it? :lol:
Thanks, Opus. I keep having to explain that to people that think that I am the outstanding one. At least somebody gets it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Maybe he drives the bus from Question 11 of the upcoming TD. That is an outstanding paint scheme.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

When I was filling out the form re: people I knew from the board - the answer was "just put you use the board."
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mennoknight wrote:When I was filling out the form re: people I knew from the board - the answer was "just put you use the board."
"Use the Board, Luke."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

mahatma wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Maybe he drives the bus from Question 11 of the upcoming TD. That is an outstanding paint scheme.
I don't usually read the TD threads unless it is one I am interested in entering, so I had to go in search of what you alluded to. It seemed to me that there could only be one thing like that. And I was right.

My bus isn't nearly as colourful.

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

And now it begins. My utmost sincere thanks to those who helped make this happen. https://www.twitter.com/dhkendall_ca/st ... 8880553984
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012