Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015

Post by Vermonter »

rjaguar3 wrote:We have 37 categories written as of right now. As a reminder, you can submit your category using this form: http://goo.gl/forms/qoA3Vajg07. If your category is used, you will get a perfect score for the category.
Thanks! What areas are most in need of coverage?
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
cf22
Valued Contributor

Post by cf22 »

Would I be allowed to submit a category even though this is my first post and I just signed up? I played SHC a bit on the Sony boards, but have disappeared for a few years.
rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rjaguar3 »

Vermonter wrote:
rjaguar3 wrote:We have 37 categories written as of right now. As a reminder, you can submit your category using this form: http://goo.gl/forms/qoA3Vajg07. If your category is used, you will get a perfect score for the category.
Currently, I think the biggest need is art and religion/mythology/philosophy questions.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

cf22 wrote:Would I be allowed to submit a category even though this is my first post and I just signed up? I played SHC a bit on the Sony boards, but have disappeared for a few years.
Sure, go ahead. Reading the writers' guide may help with your submissions.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Somehow I missed the submission link, but I've now submitted several sets of questions. Looking forward to it!
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

Thank you to everyone who has submitted categories for the SHC. If you would like to submit your own category, here is the form.
cf22
Valued Contributor

Post by cf22 »

rjaguar3 wrote:Sure, go ahead. Reading the writers' guide may help with your submissions.
Cool, thanks! Submitted.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

I submitted my category earlier today. I hope everybody likes politics.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Have we a plan for this? I'm still planning to help with any editing. I'm also happy to judge a week, too.
BoK

Post by BoK »

patkav wrote:Have we a plan for this? I'm still planning to help with any editing. I'm also happy to judge a week, too.
We are well underway with planning and writing this year's SHC and will start on schedule on Monday. A rules/introduction post will be up soonish. If you would like to write a category, feel free to do so through the link given by rjaguar3 above.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Woof wrote:Now more than ever I miss Paucle. RIP, dear quizzer.

Amen.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Woof wrote:Before this gets too involved, I'd like to express some misgivings about having weekly editors and writers. Very often, the editing process will involve heavy revisions and/or completely dropping a category as unworkable or inappropriate. To put this on a very short time scale seems unwise to me. Additionally, DoT always paid careful attention to the distribution of topics, spreading out the topics across a wide field of subjects. How can this be accomplished piecemeal by a rotating cast of editors? I feel that it would be better to have a small cadre of editors who get submissions from authors early on in the process, ideally before the start of SHC and then can spend their time putting together a good collection of boards and getting revisions (when needed) in a timely fashion.
Woof is absolutely correct: We cannot expect any consistency of quality and variety with different editors assigned to coordinate different weeks. Patkav and I will serve as editors for the entire tournament, with perhaps one other chosen to rule on any disputes that arise. (Volunteers?) I might also submit some categories for consideration, but as an editor, in the interest of fairness, I should probably step aside as a contestant.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

rjaguar3 wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
Currently, I think the biggest need is art and religion/mythology/philosophy questions.
Submitted a couple categories along these lines, but I'm not sure I ranked their order of difficulty well. Feel free to change it.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Do you have enough categories yet?