Thursday, July 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Leander wrote:
econgator wrote:Sounded like van Gogh's work (and I knew he died in 1890). I'll take it.
Yup, my process too. It helped that I had a general idea of what impasto is. I'd agree it was a difficult question if you didn't.
Oh, I think
"enormous dabs of...color" says the same thing. If you've ever seen Starry Night, "sinuous trails" pins it.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

WAG'd van Gogh based on 'sinuous' and the year. If I've encountered the term impasto before, it didn't stick (and it's been a loooong time since art history).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John's path to victory was not an easy one. I'm sure it meant a lot to him and family to have the game work out in his favor. Sometimes the sole solve is rewarded.

I wrote Munch and stuck it with it while I had the devil on my shoulder telling me it's always Thoreau. It's always Van Gogh. Impasto had me hopeful it was somehow describing the sky in The Scream. Losing an 8-spot on European Artists is better than missing on a good category.

Perhaps I'll write Van Gogh next time and it will turn out to be Monet or Gauguin.
ClammyJim
Contributor

Post by ClammyJim »

I'm usually terrible at recognizing painters' different styles (especially just descriptions), but the description sounded like Starry Night, so I went with Van Gogh.

I always have trouble with the alphabetical ones, because I think of something that's close and just go with it, since the clues are so short. Comet and Angola got me.
brick

Post by brick »

Leander wrote:
econgator wrote:Sounded like van Gogh's work (and I knew he died in 1890). I'll take it.
Yup, my process too. It helped that I had a general idea of what impasto is. I'd agree it was a difficult question if you didn't.
I clammed. And muttered "If my dates were clearer in my head... alas!"
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

brick wrote:
Leander wrote:
Oh, no, brick's turning into TPH!

No clamming allowed on FJ!
OCSam
brick

Post by brick »

OrangeSAM wrote:
brick wrote:
Leander wrote:
Oh, no, brick's turning into TPH!

No clamming allowed on FJ!
Ok. When pressed by my peer group I said Picasso, which I would have scribbled, fully knowing it was dead wrong, as the only gasp my tired brain could summon.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,200
43 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: South China Sea, Helena

Was 50/50 between Van Gogh and Toulouse-Lautrec. Chose the latter despite knowing that with J! it's generally the former. Dangit.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

As several have said with varying degrees of emphasis, every part of the clue pointed to Van Gogh, which made him seem to me a superb guess.
I'm smart and I want respect.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

About halfway through the think music, as I was thinking of various artists, Starry Night popped into my head. It seemed to fit the clue, and "Was Van Gogh around then?" is technically in the form of a question. I'm counting it.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Van Gogh was in mind but I assumed the clue was referring to someone who was still alive in 1890.. I thought Van Gogh died a couple years earlier. I got this one wrong.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

9021amyers wrote:
immaf wrote:It sounded like a description of "The Scream", so I said Edvard Munch. Upon sober sonsideration, I guess that doesn't fit the time period, though.
"The Scream" was painted in 1893, so you can't really say Munch doesn't fit the time period. I thought about Van Gogh, but went with Munch instead; I figured ol' Vinny was a trap.
Understandable inference, although the clue stated 'critic wrote in 1890,' it would have been written in anticipation of an 1893 artwork in advance! :P

O heck, it could've been just about anyone!! ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I said Seurat just to say something.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

davey wrote:
Leander wrote:
Oh, I think
"enormous dabs of...color" says the same thing. If you've ever seen Starry Night, "sinuous trails" pins it.
That's exactly how I got it without knowing (yet) the meaning of the word impasto.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

FYI, Van Gogh is considered post-impressionist, not impressionist.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My only thought was Jackson Pollock. Even though I was pretty sure he was both American and 20th century.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I knew that he was painting in the late 1800s but could never have guessed the year of his death any closer than perhaps 20 years in either direction.

Still the description of the painting style led me to old Vincent right away.

Aside note: Anybody besides me think the new champ somewhat resembled Ken Jennings?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

harrumph wrote:Impasto is thick gobs of paint. If you see a Van Gogh work up close, it is chock full of impasto.
Maybe that's why looking at his paintings always makes me hungry.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My only thought was Jackson Pollock. Even though I was pretty sure he was both American and 20th century.
Pollock doesn't dab. He drips.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Leander wrote:
I was initially thrown as I think of Van Gogh's use of a palate knife in his paintings, but the rest of the clue pointed his direction so I went with it.