Monday, July 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

bpmod wrote:
garosgeorge wrote:you never know who's watching

https://instagram.com/p/40Li0PzRnz/

for the uninitiated,rhett is the group's lead singer
There is only blue space left of the "THE", though. So I have no idea what he is alluding to.

Brian
Some groups (Talking Heads, Pixies, Foo Fighters) insist for some reason that "The" is not properly part of their names. Maybe they are one of those?
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

silverscreentest wrote:He prefers the band be called just "Old 97s", not "The Old 97s".
(The) Hooters already tried that trick.

And Weird Al, 1st time for me, 7/28 in Red Bank NJ here! So excited. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn't certain when Ben-Hur or Gladiator were set, but figured they had to be close. I did consider The Ten Commandments but was fairly certain it did not win Best Picture, though I wasn't certain Ben-Hur did.

In third's spot I would have bet $3,400. That keeps me over Jess' MSBIW, although that still doesn't win the game for me if we both get it right.

I can sort of see Cambodia, but no way that should be in the top row above Vespucci and Bolivar. I'd have put it at the bottom. I wonder if Shu-Ping gets it then?

I did like Hilary's late DD wager. It guarantees the lead going into FJ if she is right and can still take the lead if she gets the last clue. I got Rommel, but in the game I'd probably clam since it wouldn't help anyone and could hurt if you get it wrong.

As I mentioned in the old games thread recently, the fried green tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe suck.
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

21R. I did better in DJ! than J! today.
opusthepenguin wrote:For ALSO A KEYBOARD KEY, I would've gone with WHOOPI GOLDBERG SERVED CUSTOMERS ON STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION IN THIS KIND OF PLACE.
LOL. :)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote:I can sort of see Cambodia, but no way that should be in the top row above Vespucci and Bolivar. I'd have put it at the bottom.
Seriously. Speaking of Country Men, how great was that DD? I love the two-step process required to come up with the correct response.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I can sort of see Cambodia, but no way that should be in the top row above Vespucci and Bolivar. I'd have put it at the bottom.
Seriously. Speaking of Country Men, how great was that DD? I love the two-step process required to come up with the correct response.
Those are my favorite kind.
brick

Post by brick »

econgator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Those are my favorite kind.
I love them when I get them. *kicks dirt* I wasn't fast enough. My friend was though. He regularly skunks me on everything geography related.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I loved that one, especially since I got it right!!!!
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Bamaman wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I loved that one, especially since I got it right!!!!
The kind you get is the very best kind--perhaps regardless of the number of steps in the process.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Not one of my strongest games, but I got FJ right away.
Oh well.........
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

sarisson wrote:As a New Jerseyan, I groaned when nobody knew OBJ played for the Giants. I'm not a Giants fan; I have a love/hate relationship with the team, but OBJ's catch last year against the Cowboys was one of the greatest in NFL history.
New Yorker and a Giants fan here, but I feel the same way. My grandfather loved football, and I picked up the habit when he'd used to monopolize the TV on Sunday afternoons, even if he didn't understand a word of the commentators. I would've thought Shu-Ping, being from Brooklyn, might've been able to get it, but then again, the sports are not the typical Jeopardy contestant's strong suit.

Also, I've never heard hot pot being described as a mutton and potatoes dish. To me, it's always been a Chinese communal meal where you cook thinly sliced meats and fresh veggies by dipping them into a pot of boiling water, then eating them along a soy based sauce. Never any potatoes in that; daikon and turnips maybe, but no potatoes. It's mostly an excuse for large parties of people to get copiously drunk while cooking food in a communal manner. Also comparable are Japanese shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, or nabe. Even looking it up on Google and Wikipedia get me no mention of mutton, so I'm confused here... Is this just some gwailo redefining things that I take for granted?
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

As a New Jerseyan, I groaned when nobody knew OBJ played for the Giants. I'm not a Giants fan; I have a love/hate relationship with the team, but OBJ's catch last year against the Cowboys was one of the greatest in NFL history.
I watched the game as a Cowboys fan and thought it was incredible. Ironically, in the pre-game show they did a feature on OBJ and his fantastic catches.
davey

Post by davey »

GhostStalker wrote:
sarisson wrote:As a New Jerseyan, I groaned when nobody knew OBJ played for the Giants. I'm not a Giants fan; I have a love/hate relationship with the team, but OBJ's catch last year against the Cowboys was one of the greatest in NFL history.
New Yorker and a Giants fan here, but I feel the same way. My grandfather loved football, and I picked up the habit when he'd used to monopolize the TV on Sunday afternoons, even if he didn't understand a word of the commentators. I would've thought Shu-Ping, being from Brooklyn, might've been able to get it, but then again, the sports are not the typical Jeopardy contestant's strong suit.

Also, I've never heard hot pot being described as a mutton and potatoes dish. To me, it's always been a Chinese communal meal where you cook thinly sliced meats and fresh veggies by dipping them into a pot of boiling water, then eating them along a soy based sauce. Never any potatoes in that; daikon and turnips maybe, but no potatoes. It's mostly an excuse for large parties of people to get copiously drunk while cooking food in a communal manner. Also comparable are Japanese shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, or nabe. Even looking it up on Google and Wikipedia get me no mention of mutton, so I'm confused here... Is this just some gwailo redefining things that I take for granted?
Did you try googling hot pot mutton? Try that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This was the only time I ever heard the term "hotpot":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_XvdWEafA
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Or even to come up with the INcorrect response that Alex was forced to accept. SEE-sull. Hmmmphh! I'm sure Rhodes wouldn't have deigned to acknowledge his own mother if she'd addressed him thus.
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

davey wrote:
GhostStalker wrote: Also, I've never heard hot pot being described as a mutton and potatoes dish. To me, it's always been a Chinese communal meal where you cook thinly sliced meats and fresh veggies by dipping them into a pot of boiling water, then eating them along a soy based sauce. Never any potatoes in that; daikon and turnips maybe, but no potatoes. It's mostly an excuse for large parties of people to get copiously drunk while cooking food in a communal manner. Also comparable are Japanese shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, or nabe. Even looking it up on Google and Wikipedia get me no mention of mutton, so I'm confused here... Is this just some gwailo redefining things that I take for granted?
Yeah, it was mostly confirmation bias, as hot pot in both Google and Wikipedia only got me the Chinese dish. And now I know!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bpmod wrote:There is only blue space left of the "THE", though. So I have no idea what he is alluding to.

Brian
silverscreentest wrote:He prefers the band be called just "Old 97s", not "The Old 97s".
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Some groups (Talking Heads, Pixies, Foo Fighters) insist for some reason that "The" is not properly part of their names. Maybe they are one of those?
OK, I'll try this again...

What was he seeing left of the "THE"? All I see is blue.

(Would this help? :lol: :mrgreen: ;) )

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

GhostStalker wrote:
davey wrote:
GhostStalker wrote: Also, I've never heard hot pot being described as a mutton and potatoes dish. To me, it's always been a Chinese communal meal where you cook thinly sliced meats and fresh veggies by dipping them into a pot of boiling water, then eating them along a soy based sauce. Never any potatoes in that; daikon and turnips maybe, but no potatoes. It's mostly an excuse for large parties of people to get copiously drunk while cooking food in a communal manner. Also comparable are Japanese shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, or nabe. Even looking it up on Google and Wikipedia get me no mention of mutton, so I'm confused here... Is this just some gwailo redefining things that I take for granted?
Yeah, it was mostly confirmation bias, as hot pot in both Google and Wikipedia only got me the Chinese dish. And now I know!
For what it's worth, I never heard of the English one either...
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

I had a whole different wrong guess for FJ: The Greatest Story Ever Told. I sort of knew it hadn't been a nominee but nothing good for the time period came to me. At the very end of the music I thought of Ben-Hur. Doubt I would have come up with it in time.

I agree with those praising the two-step responses for the Country Men category.