Sports Jeopardy! EP. 43 (7-15-15) [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! EP. 43 (7-15-15) [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE PAC-12

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
The 2 schools that are the only Pac-12 schools in their states

Brian Dale: 500+0=500 (Hi Mallory & Meghan!!!)
Ross Goetz: 11250+10000=21250
Nara Weng: 14000+8501=22501 ($5,000)

The correct response:
Spoiler
Colorado & Utah
The scoreboard puzzle:
Spoiler
19 - 76
86 - 17
Hint 1:
Spoiler
Olympics
Hint 2:
Spoiler
Track & Field
Hint 3:
Spoiler
Caitlyn
Scoreboard Answer:
Spoiler
Bruce Jenner's winning total in the decathlon.
Unlike last week I think we will all be in agreement for the correct answer.

Brian was 0/3 on the DDs so with his opponents not playing them we have no way of knowing if the leader board would have been threatened.

I'm old enough to remember both Mike Marshalls who played for the Dodgers, so the 106 games pitched guy for the last DD was a gimme and I could picture the Topps card that celebrated the feat as well.

I solved the FJ! clue off the category using home field advantage or West Coast bias. ;)

Today's game was not available when I checked this morning around 8 my time on either Crackle.com or Crackle on my PS3. It was there about 3 hours later.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Sports Jeopardy! EP. 43 (7-15-15) [Spoilers]

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I solved the FJ! clue off the category using home field advantage or West Coast bias. ;)
Sad to say, I'd forgotten either of those schools was in the Pac-12.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Nitpick -- You hit the 14 or a solid with the cue ball, not directly with the stick.

FJ was a gimmie.

I'd be curious to go through the archive to see when was the last time a Regular Show player hit all 3 DDs where the "maximum value of the clue" rule was in play. If the DDs fall differently, I think Nara may have had a look at the Leaderboard.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Yep, 1975 Topps card #6 (buried somewhere in the maze of boxes/cards over last 43 years), honoring Marshall's feat, although first card that came to mind was his 1974 card (with Dodger blue trim & winding back about to release the ball).

Finally got to watch today, even though the McDonald's wifi kept going into chippy mode early. :shock:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

rmfromfla wrote:Yep, 1975 Topps card #6 (buried somewhere in the maze of boxes/cards over last 43 years), honoring Marshall's feat, although first card that came to mind was his 1974 card (with Dodger blue trim & winding back about to release the ball).
I most remember his TRADED card when he went to the Dodgers.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't think bpmod watches this show, but Wikipedia says the winning total was 8,618.

Too bad Jenner didn't make the switch years ago. She could have gone for the heptathlon.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Craaaaaaap... thought about Colorado but forgot that when they switched it was to the Pac-12. :(

7/15: 22,750 (FJ: :()
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I'd only watched Sports Jeopardy once before, but today I decided to keep score. I got $20,750 (23 R/ 1 W). "Fix the Baseball Stat" was right in my wheelhouse. I was hoping for a clue about Ron Mix in the "mix" category, one of very few players in sports history to have his number retired and then un-retired. I really don't know much about college sports, so I thought of Oregon and Hawaii. Turns out Hawaii isn't even in the PAC-12.
I didn't register for the online test, but I saw the questions a while ago and only got half of them. This is why I play the regular show.
Hoping for a third lap
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Bamaman wrote:I don't think bpmod watches this show, but Wikipedia says the winning total was 8,618.
That was adjusted to 8617 in 1977 when the scoring for the Decathlon was recalculated (for some reason, I don't have any idea what).
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

I agree with you, DadofTwins. If Nara had gotten a couple of those Daily Doubles, he could have threatened the leaderboard. Very solid player. I hated to see Brian keep getting them when he was a total non-factor in the game. And it probably makes me a bad person, but I hate hate hate when people give a shoutout on their Final Jeopardy answer. Always drives me nuts.

I really liked that Fix the Baseball Stat category. Final Jeopardy was a fun clue, too. With all the conference realignment that's happened, I'll bet many people would miss that one.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Was pleased to see Nara win. He is an acquaintance whom I helped prepare for his appearance although he did not need much coaching. He has a very good base of sports knowledge. I think the board set up for Nara pretty well.

I do wish I could have played the board myself. Sports stats, golf, college football - all in my sweet spot. Plus the first clue was about a game I attended that I will never forget - the Stanford-Cal 1982 Big Game. When I get to heaven, I expect St Peter to tell me that Dwight Garner's knee was down.