Monday, July 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by clprez »

Just watched an episode of The Pyramid. Part of one of the clues was edited out. It turned out that the guy sang "Like a Virgin" as a clue for Madonna and no singing is allowed.
mahatma

Re: song pairings

Post by mahatma »

HostWithTheMost wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
HostWithTheMost wrote:Bohemian Rhapsody as the 'A' side to We Are the Champions? Top 5 all-time bad response right there. Especially in the U.S., where We Will Rock You and WATC are almost always played back-to-back.
Same here. Bugs the hell out of me when I hear it because I can't think of any other time where two songs are always played back to back.
The only other one that comes to mind is "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)."
Just a few that I can come up with:
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band followed by With a Little Help from My Friends
and sometimes Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) followed by A Day in the Life
I'm sure there's more.

And some with instrumental tag-ons:
Threshhold/Jet Airliner
Foreplay/Long Time
Eruption/You Really Got Me

EDIT; me three
geeze, I take my time composing a post on yesterday's thread and five people drop in related responses in the space of 25 minutes
Van Halen also had Intruder leading into Pretty Woman off the DIver Down album.
How many of the examples we've given truly fit the original criteria?
-2 separate tracks, not a single-track medley...
-that are frequently played on the (probably classic rock) radio or other device...
-almost always together, and rarely separately?

I think some of these are single tracks on the original records, and others are song suites that are (were?) not often played on the radio.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

While We Are The Champions stands well enough on its own, listening to We Will Rock You on its own is too jarring (for lack of a better word) at the end.

The same is true of The Load Out, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and probably several of the others mentioned.

Some of the others mentioned, like Foreplay / Long Time & Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding, are more or less single tracks where the point where one ends and the other begins is not (as well) defined. I would put Point Of View / Where To Spend My Dollar (one of my all-time favourite songs) into that category, too.

I can think of a pair of songs that is always combined a la WWRY/WATC, whereby it is a single song 'Title A Title B' (with no slash delineating the two) on the single (contrary to Wkipedia's page which in turn is contrary to the picture on said page) and two separate tracks on the album. Who knows to which I refer?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: song pairings

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

mahatma wrote:
The Board wrote: "We Will Rock You"/"We Are the Champions"
"Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)."
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band followed by With a Little Help from My Friends
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) followed by A Day in the Life
Threshhold/Jet Airliner
Foreplay/Long Time
Eruption/You Really Got Me
"Intruder"/"(Oh) Pretty Woman"
How many of the examples we've given truly fit the original criteria?
-2 separate tracks, not a single-track medley...
-that are frequently played on the (probably classic rock) radio or other device...
-almost always together, and rarely separately?

I think some of these are single tracks on the original records, and others are song suites that are (were?) not often played on the radio.
I almost made the same comment upthread, but ironically enough, almost all of the ones you happened to quote do fit the criteria. The exceptions are that "Foreplay/Long Time" is one track on Boston, and I don't know that I've ever heard "Intruder" played before "(Oh) Pretty Woman" on the radio.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I didn't want to over-quote. I was referring to the entirety of the thread. Imprecise, I know. Mea culpa.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Look at that. 165 posts just to discuss Jennifer. You have made an impact.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Silverfox wrote:Look at that. 165 posts just to discuss Jennifer. You have made an impact.
Yes, but most of them were BY me, so the impact is more along the lines of what happens when you go to reach for something and accidentally hit yourself in the face.
alamble

Post by alamble »

All this discussion of song rights and copyright law has reminded me of one of my favorite moments from the late, lamented (at least by me) Sports Night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp10Andthbk
brick

Post by brick »

I was braced for "Eli's Coming".
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

God, the laugh track ruins it. :( I miss that show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alamble wrote:All this discussion of song rights and copyright law has reminded me of one of my favorite moments from the late, lamented (at least by me) Sports Night:
One of the best ever.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

MitchO wrote:God, the laugh track ruins it. :( I miss that show.
I'm usually just fine when shows have laugh tracks, but the one for "Sports Night" always seems ridiculously tacked on (probably because, well, it was). I'm a huge Sorkin fan, but for that reason I haven't been able to get through even an episode. :(
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

barandall800 wrote:
MitchO wrote:God, the laugh track ruins it. :( I miss that show.
I'm usually just fine when shows have laugh tracks, but the one for "Sports Night" always seems ridiculously tacked on (probably because, well, it was). I'm a huge Sorkin fan, but for that reason I haven't been able to get through even an episode. :(
It gets used less and less as Season 1 progresses. For Season 2 they were able to get rid of it. But by then Sorkin was devoted to The West Wing, so Season 2 isn't nearly as good. I wonder how much post-production magic it would take to get rid of the thing entirely. I believe some of it involves a live audience of about 50 people, but even that must have been "sweetened".
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I haven't watched SportsNight in a while; with the rose colored glasses placed squarely in my mind's eye, I had forgotten the laugh track is so prevalent in the 1st season.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

bpmod wrote:I can think of a pair of songs that is always combined a la WWRY/WATC, whereby it is a single song 'Title A Title B' (with no slash delineating the two) on the single (contrary to Wkipedia's page which in turn is contrary to the picture on said page) and two separate tracks on the album. Who knows to which I refer?
OK, I'll take a stab at it.
Would that be Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In by the 5th Dimension?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Category 13 wrote:
bpmod wrote:I can think of a pair of songs that is always combined a la WWRY/WATC, whereby it is a single song 'Title A Title B' (with no slash delineating the two) on the single (contrary to Wkipedia's page which in turn is contrary to the picture on said page) and two separate tracks on the album. Who knows to which I refer?
OK, I'll take a stab at it.
Would that be Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In by the 5th Dimension?
Good guess. I hadn't thought of that through this whole discussion.

But, no.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

There's a version of Soft Cell's cover of Tainted Love without Where Did Our Love Go?