Thursday, July 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, July 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mystcmage wrote:Name: Nevil Shute = On the Beach
Maybe, but he's also known for "A Town Like Alice."

"On the Beach" is one of the most affecting books I've ever read. The movie version is OK, but probably a little corny by today's standards.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

I came, I saw, I spoke

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:
UiscePreston wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Did any French speakers pick up on what Alex told Anne-Marie going into the Double Jeopardy! Round? To my ear, it sounds like c'est à vous magnotte, but I don't think that last word is right.
Anne-Marie, c'est à vous maintenant. "Anne-Marie, this [i.e. the board] is currently yours."

Also I hope people realize that no Caesar (other than maybe Sid Caesar) pronounced veni, vidi, vici as "venny, veedy, veechy". The Classical Latin letter v was sounded as either the consonant /w/, or the vowels /u/ and occasionally /i/. Likewise, the c was always pronounced /k/ - not /tʃ/ [i.e. "ch"] or /s/.
I'll go post that to Vicipedia.
I'll ask my friend's opinion on this, he's an omniglot with a particular interest in dead languages (he's my go-to guy for questions with Latin, Ancient Greek and Egyptian hieroglyphics, all of which he's very knowledgeable in.) He's also a regular contributor to, and editor of, Vicipedia.
willwoodlen wrote: While Anne-Marie's pronunciation might not have been technically correct, it's the one I learned and has been widely taught. I remember my Latin I teacher telling us there were two schools of Latin pronunciation, the one UiscePreston cites ("classical," I think) and the one we would be using, the "ecclesiastical." So I would have answered the same way she did. When Alex confirmed her response I was half expecting him to offer the other alternative, which would have, or course, provided the needed alliteration, as well as sounded cuter.
[SageOnTheHudson]If they can accept coup de gras, they'll accept this monstrosity of a mispronunciation as well just because it's "common."[/SageOnTheHudson]
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: I came, I saw, I spoke

Post by willwoodlen »

dhkendall wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
UiscePreston wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Did any French speakers pick up on what Alex told Anne-Marie going into the Double Jeopardy! Round? To my ear, it sounds like c'est à vous magnotte, but I don't think that last word is right.
Anne-Marie, c'est à vous maintenant. "Anne-Marie, this [i.e. the board] is currently yours."

Also I hope people realize that no Caesar (other than maybe Sid Caesar) pronounced veni, vidi, vici as "venny, veedy, veechy". The Classical Latin letter v was sounded as either the consonant /w/, or the vowels /u/ and occasionally /i/. Likewise, the c was always pronounced /k/ - not /tʃ/ [i.e. "ch"] or /s/.
I'll go post that to Vicipedia.
I'll ask my friend's opinion on this, he's an omniglot with a particular interest in dead languages (he's my go-to guy for questions with Latin, Ancient Greek and Egyptian hieroglyphics, all of which he's very knowledgeable in.) He's also a regular contributor to, and editor of, Vicipedia.
willwoodlen wrote: While Anne-Marie's pronunciation might not have been technically correct, it's the one I learned and has been widely taught. I remember my Latin I teacher telling us there were two schools of Latin pronunciation, the one UiscePreston cites ("classical," I think) and the one we would be using, the "ecclesiastical." So I would have answered the same way she did. When Alex confirmed her response I was half expecting him to offer the other alternative, which would have, or course, provided the needed alliteration, as well as sounded cuter.
[SageOnTheHudson]If they can accept coup de gras, they'll accept this monstrosity of a mispronunciation as well just because it's "common."[/SageOnTheHudson]

"Monstrosity of a mispronunciation"? We're talking about the teachings of generations of nuns here, buddy. I'd watch my step if I were you.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
mystcmage wrote:Name: Nevil Shute = On the Beach
Maybe, but he's also known for "A Town Like Alice."

"On the Beach" is one of the most affecting books I've ever read. The movie version is OK, but probably a little corny by today's standards.

I'm with you on the book. Very affecting overall, and one of the best endings of any novel I've read.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

willwoodlen wrote:
dhkendall wrote: [SageOnTheHudson]If they can accept coup de gras, they'll accept this monstrosity of a mispronunciation as well just because it's "common."[/SageOnTheHudson]

"Monstrosity of a mispronunciation"? We're talking about the teachings of generations of nuns here, buddy. I'd watch my step if I were you.
Please note this isn't a view I share, I was just mocking Sage's tone, who uses such language for pronunciations that actually aren't wrong.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The only Latin I know is "Quando omni flunkus, moritati". :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The only Latin I know is "Quando omni flunkus, moritati". :lol:
Veritas
Spoiler
And that pretty much sums up what -I- know :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

dhkendall wrote:
willwoodlen wrote:
dhkendall wrote: [SageOnTheHudson]If they can accept coup de gras, they'll accept this monstrosity of a mispronunciation as well just because it's "common."[/SageOnTheHudson]

Please note this isn't a view I share, I was just mocking Sage's tone, who uses such language for pronunciations that actually aren't wrong.

Fair enough. Pass it on, then.

But you can also share that I'm totally with him on the "coup de gras" thing.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:The only Latin I know is "Quando omni flunkus, moritati". :lol:
Veritas
Spoiler
How 'bout this phrase: "In Volante vino."
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Volante wrote:
Veritas
Spoiler
How 'bout this phrase: "In Volante vino."
What's Latin for 'gin'?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,600
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Rise and Shout!
LT: Duck, Belgium (DD), Martina Hingis, Novak Djokovic, (Maria Sharapova)

I'd have to give back my MBA if I missed that final.

Dat awful wagering doe.
sarisson wrote:The gag answer to the $1600 clue was "Am I gonna have to Djokovic?"
This made me laugh out loud.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Nearly all sports fans would have written BYU for FJ, pretty obvious between FJ and the tennis category she isn't one. BYU is accepted at the biggest sports trivia contests, no reason to think it wouldn't be in this arena.

Can't wait for Keith's video!
I think someone who is a college sports fan has an advantage in categories like this. Someone who follows sports is going to be more familiar with a lot of colleges and have them mentally on file.

If we are going with the assumption Scott is a sports fan and she is not, it shows it was a help here. While they both clearly knew what college they were going for, he wrote BYU while she tried to write out the full name and failed.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:That whole tennis category was a total stand-and-stare for me. Oh, wait, no it wasn't, I said Kournikova for Sharapova. Anyone for tennis? Not me.
Kournikova was known for mostly for her looks, as she won zero singles tournaments. She won a few titles as part of a doubles team including two Australian Opens. So a Russian-born tennis player who's won a lot of tournaments and likely to appear in the S.I. Swimsuit Issue? Definitely not Kournikova. Vanya can fill us in on the other possibilities besides Sharapova.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

silverscreentest wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:That whole tennis category was a total stand-and-stare for me. Oh, wait, no it wasn't, I said Kournikova for Sharapova. Anyone for tennis? Not me.
Kournikova was known for mostly for her looks, as she won zero singles tournaments. She won a few titles as part of a doubles team including two Australian Opens. So a Russian-born tennis player who's won a lot of tournaments and likely to appear in the S.I. Swimsuit Issue? Definitely not Kournikova. Vanya can fill us in on the other possibilities besides Sharapova.
Aha, thank you for this explanation! Like many sports weaklings, I tend to pick up only on the cultural identifiers which have nothing whatsoever to do with the hard-data sports accomplishments (e.g., Billie Jean King and the Bobby Riggs match), so the S.I. Swimsuit bit threw me off and prompted a WAG in a vain attempt to avoid spending five clues in a row like so: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

silverscreentest wrote:
Maybe Dementieva and Kirilenko?
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I know nothing about tennis. But I knew Sharpova. And when Scott misspoke, I knew there was a correction on its' way.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Maybe, but he's also known for "A Town Like Alice."
Wasn't that by The Jam?
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Silverfox wrote:I know nothing about tennis. But I knew Sharpova. And when Scott misspoke, I knew there was a correction on its' way.
And I know that "its'" is probably even a bigger word crime than using "it's" for "its", given that "its'" isn't even a word. (Belonging to its?)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Silverfox wrote:I know nothing about tennis. But I knew Sharpova. And when Scott misspoke, I knew there was a correction on its' way.
And I know that "its'" is probably even a bigger word crime than using "it's" for "its", given that "its'" isn't even a word. (Belonging to its?)
Example sentence: When you use it's instead of its, you hurt its' feelings.
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Dang, school is in session and TP is BRINGING DOWN THE HAMMER!!!

Other posters must have assumed Silver was friendlily bad-grammar-trolling but I think this and his other GLARING mistake were earnest.

On another bent, there has been a welcome/suspicious absence of whiners about the frantic/exaggerated button-pressing in this episode. Next complainant will be referred to this ep. and asked why it wasn't so annoying *then*...
Last edited by El Jefe on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.