Tuesday, July 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7122, 2015-07-28

CONTESTANTS
Melissa Hodges, a part-time mechanical engineer and full-time mom from Allen, Texas
Jonathan Marcus, a law clerk from North Hollywood, California
Suzanne Vito, a writer from Albany, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $9,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. Yesterday we said goodbye to a 5-time champion. Suzanne replaced him, so let's see how well she defends. Jonathan and Melissa, welcome and good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! round. One Daily Double in this round of play--you know that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOND, JAMES BOND (5/5) (Alex: You're gonna love the way I read the first category...)
HISTORY SINCE 1950 (4/5)
DOMAIN EXTENSIONS (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"PAY" DAY (5/5)
YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS (3/5)
A FISH IS STILL A FISH (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Melissa: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Suzanne: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jonathan: 8 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Suzanne: $2,800
Jonathan: $2,600
Melissa: $2,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I think it's safe to say that we've all had trouble with our automobiles, trying to get them started. Melissa Hodges, you have an interesting way of solving that problem, I understand.

Melissa: Back in college, I was driving my father-in-law's extra car. It was a '77 Ford Granada, and it was missing some teeth on the flywheel. And so in order to get it started sometimes, the starter wouldn't catch, you'd have to go to the front of the car and jump up and down on the bumper to try and get it to rotate enough so it would catch.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, good for you.

Alex: Jonathan Marcus is a law clerk from North Hollywood, California. And you had a brief conversation with former president Clinton about something unusual.

Jonathan: Uh, yeah, he'd just left office and I was in an elevator, and I guess I didn't seem very threatening, because in walks President Clinton and two Secret Service agents, and so we sort of sat in awkward silence for a while, and he's pretty good at breaking awkward silences, so he turns to me and says, "Where'd you get that ice cream?" and so I told him. And that was the end of my career as a special adviser to the president.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Suzanne Vito is a writer. She is our champion. And not only is she a writer, but she converses with people. And she had a weird conversation with your partner?

Suzanne: Yes. Andrey is a deep sleeper. And so we'll talk about logistics for the day, and then suddenly I'll realize that he's still asleep when he's talking to me, and the giveaway is that he starts speaking in his native language, which is Russian.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, let's get back into this. Melissa gave us the last correct response.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonathan found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Suzanne had $4,000, Jonathan had $3,000, and Melissa was at $4,200. Jonathan wagered $1,500.

DOMAIN EXTENSIONS $800: Wikipedia & Craigslist are the most popular sites with this domain suffix
(Jonathan: What is .net?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORY SINCE 1950 $1000: This country's first female leader, Khaleda Zia was prime minister in the 1990s & again from 2001 to 2006

YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS $600: He was a Democrat in Texas' state House in the 1980s, but a Republican as governor for 14 years
(Melissa: Who is John Connally?)

YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS $1000: This Ivy League college's Rauner Special Collections Library is home to the Robert Frost collection

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Melissa: $4,200
Suzanne: $4,000
Jonathan: $1,500
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LIT BLITZ (4/5)
PARISH THE THOUGHT, LOUISIANA (3/3)
PLAY MS. "T" FOR ME (4/5)
WORLD UNIVERSITIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ROMAN CIVICS (4/5)
5, 5 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response two words; five letters in each of them.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Suzanne: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Melissa: 4 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Melissa snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Suzanne had $3,200, Jonathan had $8,300, and Melissa was at $4,200. Melissa wagered $2,000.

5, 5 $1200: Milan's La Scala is this type of place

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jonathan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Suzanne had $3,200, Jonathan had $8,700, and Melissa was at $6,200. Jonathan wagered $1,000.

WORLD UNIVERSITIES $800: From 2009 to 2014 4 alums of this Montreal school won Nobel Prizes

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROMAN CIVICS $2000: Now a term more familiar from the Olympics, this class of citizens got its name from its former cavalry role

PLAY MS. "T" FOR ME $1600: This "Big Mama" sang "Hound Dog" before Elvis did
(Suzanne: Who is Bessie Turner?)

5, 5 $2000: It's the type of guitar heard here
(Melissa: What's a steel guitar?)
(Suzanne: What's a steel string?)

LIT BLITZ $2000: In honor of James Joyce, Ted Hughes & Sylvia Plath got married on this date in 1956

WORLD UNIVERSITIES $1600: In the Times higher education rankings, this city's Swiss Federal Institute of Technology is 13th, tops outside the U.S. & U.K.
(Melissa: What is Geneva?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jonathan: $10,100
Suzanne: $9,600
Melissa: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TELEVISION IN THE 2000s

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jonathan: Wager $9,101 to cover Suzanne.
Suzanne: You have to wager $2,001 to cover Melissa's doubled score, but certainly no more than $3,799, so as to force Melissa to be right to have a chance at winning.
Melissa: Consider risking between $3,801 and $4,799. This will top a $0 wager by Suzanne while still beating Jonathan on the Triple Stumper (should Jonathan wager to cover Suzanne's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Blanco is the last name of the main character in "Metástasis", a Colombia-set version of this show

FINAL SCORES
Melissa: $5,800 + $0 = $5,800 (What is Breaking Bad?) (3rd place)
Suzanne: $9,600 + $9,600 = $19,200 (What is Breaking Bad?) (2nd place)
Jonathan: $10,100 + $10,100 = $20,200 (What is Breaking Bad?) (New champion: $20,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jonathan: $11,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Suzanne: $9,600, 16 R, 2 W
Melissa: $5,000, 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $26,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 20/60 = .333
Suzanne: 17/58 = .293
Melissa: 14/59 = .237
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BOND, JAMES BOND $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue.) The massive gun mounted on the back of the Jaguar was pointed at the back of this James Bond actor during a daring car chase over ice in "Die Another Day"

A FISH IS STILL A FISH $400: Slow and nearly defenseless in its normal state, it's intimidating and hard to swallow after doing its thing

YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS $800: In Genesis, this man says, "I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth"
(Jonathan: Who is Adam?)

A FISH IS STILL A FISH $800: Fishermen have reeled in over half-ton specimens of the blue type of this

A FISH IS STILL A FISH $1000: You "betta" believe this type of "fighting fish" will even attack its own image in a mirror
(Jonathan: What is a betta?)

A FISH IS STILL A FISH $200: Though guppies are freshwater fish, add this to their tank to help them build up a protective slime coat
(Alex: You're right, with less than a minute to go.)

5, 5 $1600: It's the type of art chart seen here

LIT BLITZ $1200: The murder & guilt of "Crime and Punishment" play out in this former capital city
(Alex: Right, with a minute to go.)

WORLD UNIVERSITIES $1200: India has universities named for Indira Gandhi & this man, her father
(Jonathan: Who is Nehru?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jonathan: I can't.)

WORLD UNIVERSITIES $2000: Mick Jagger may have learned to count his money when he attended the London School of this & Political Science
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
.org
Bangladesh
Rick Perry
Dartmouth
an opera house
McGill
the equestrian order
"Big Mama" Thornton
pedal steel guitar
Bloomsday (or June 16)
Zurich
Breaking Bad
Pierce Brosnan
blowfish (or pufferfish)
Cain
a marlin
a Siamese fighting fish
salt
a color wheel
Saint Petersburg
Jawaharlal Nehru
economics
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Television in the 2000s
Blanco is the last name of the main character in "Metastasis", a Colombia-set version of this show.

Spoiler
What is Breaking Bad?

Jonathan Marcus: $10,100+$10,100=$20,200...now a 1-day champion with $20,200
Suzanne Vito: $9,600+$9,600=$19,200
Melissa Hodges: $5,800+$0=$5,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

NO guess for FJ other than "Wile. E. Coyote" (Celebrity Name Game reference).

PS: Did anyone have a Greed flashback after the "dot.com" clue in Round 1 other than myself?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The new champ is quick on the buzzer, but he is often unsure of himself and got negged a lot. I will predict that he won't last long. The redubbed Alex was less obvious today.

I don't watch "Breaking Bad," so can someone tell me what the TOM was from that clue?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

floridagator wrote:I don't watch "Breaking Bad," so can someone tell me what the TOM was from that clue?
"Blanco". The lead of Breaking Bad is Walter White. Fairly persistent pop culture reference that, once again, you don't have to watch the product to know. (I've only seen a few episodes, but I knew who the lead character was before that.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Judges: PAY $600, "Payola" was given. Would "pay for play" work?

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Plactus

Post by Plactus »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: PAY $600, "Payola" was given. Would "pay for play" work?
I believe the clue specified one word, in which case, no.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

dhkendall wrote:
floridagator wrote:I don't watch "Breaking Bad," so can someone tell me what the TOM was from that clue?
"Blanco". The lead of Breaking Bad is Walter White. Fairly persistent pop culture reference that, once again, you don't have to watch the product to know. (I've only seen a few episodes, but I knew who the lead character was before that.)
The other TOM was "Metastasis", since Walter White has lung cancer, plus the title could be a reference to his trajectory from high school teacher to meth manufacturer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Champ’s hair kept blending into the background.

“Taxpayer ID”, “Big Mama Thornton”, and “opera house” kept me at 4/5 in their categories.

Was it just me, or was the Literature category in DJ! really tough? NHO Heidi Chronicles at $400, and nothing below it sounded even remotely familiar either.

Blanco -> White -> Walter White -> Breaking Bad. Almost had a blanco on the name of the show, but still got it only a couple notes into the music.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Why did they BMS Nehru? This is a show that doesn't even BMS Bush or Johnson half the time.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a fairly well-played game, especially by Jonathan. I had 38 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Rick Perry, Dartmouth, and Zurich. I also got the missed DD of .ORG. It took me about 15 seconds to get FJ.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

dhkendall wrote:
Besides that, COlombia is known for drugs to some degree, no? :)
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

What's with FJ wording ....Columbia set based? Was that supposed to be important? I focused on that so much that didn't get FJ. Disappointing as BB is my favorite show.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

xxaaaxx wrote:Why did they BMS Nehru? This is a show that doesn't even BMS Bush or Johnson half the time.
I was just going to ask this. Looking at the archive (http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search), they have never BMS'ed Nehru.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

19 right in Jeopardy Round.

Bond (4), 1950 (4), Domain (3), "Pay" (2), This (3), Fish (3)

I only saw a handful of clues and got 2 right in DJ due to the satellite feed being disrupted because of weather. :x

Couldn't see the Final either.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

ALso of note, one clue unrevealed in the first round(Domain Extensions $1000) and IIRC three unrevealed in DJ!(Louisiana Parish category $1600 and $2K and World Universities $2K), but they still had a full credit roll. Maybe those clues were TS's and edited out, who knows?
Last edited by legendneverdies on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

doihavetoreally wrote:What's with FJ wording ....Columbia set based? Was that supposed to be important? I focused on that so much that didn't get FJ. Disappointing as BB is my favorite show.
Fancy way of asking for the Spanish translation of blanco.

A quick check of the archive shows this is the third Breaking Bad FJ in the last 15 months. A bit of overkill IMO.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I had $31,800 (41 right and no negs). The Daily Doubles were quite easy. Clammed on "Bloomsday" and "puffer fish," and had no idea how to pronounce Nehru's first name, so I wouldn't have rung in at all. Imagine if they had to spell that!
I gave Final the instaguess of Lost. There were multiple TOM's in that clue, but they completely eluded me.
Hoping for a third lap
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

CrunchyTaco wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Why did they BMS Nehru? This is a show that doesn't even BMS Bush or Johnson half the time.
I was just going to ask this. Looking at the archive (http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search), they have never BMS'ed Nehru.
FWIW, I was ready with the first name when it was required. Jawaharlal has such a mellifluous sound to it that it's gone into my equivalent of TPH's Smoot-Hawley file. (I also remember that one of the kids on Head of the Class (a 1980s teen sitcom) had the first name Jawaharlal and even then I knew/figured it was a nod to Nehru.)