Sports Jeopardy! EP. 49 (8-26-15) [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! EP. 49 (8-26-15) [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OLYMPIC GYMNASTICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the 3 individual events that are the same for both men & women in Olympic competition

Matt Baron: 12000-8499=3501
Fish Fain: 15000+11499=26499 ($5000)
Curtis Smith: 1750-0=1750

Correct Response:
Spoiler
(1 of) floor exercise, vault or trampoline. Fish had floor exercise. Curtis had pommel horse and Matt did, "What is the floor ex are the ring?"
Daily Doubles:
Fish: 2250+2250
Matt: 6000+6000
Curtis: 5750-5000

Scoreboard Puzzle:
Spoiler
19-73
00-03
I don't know the answer. To me the big event for that year is
Spoiler
Secretariat winning the triple crown.
The yell stumper of the game was none of the guys knowing the other term in golf for a 3-under par albatross being a double eagle.

Fish cut down his odds considerably of finding a DD in the DJ! round when he called clues from the top to bottom without hunting. Not that the guys on the leader board are complaining.

I was 3/3 on the FJ! clue after having 2 immediately and then needing another five seconds for the aha moment of completing the set.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Sports Jeopardy! EP. 49 (8-26-15) [Spoilers]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Scoreboard Puzzle:
Spoiler
19-73
00-03
Spoiler
How might you connect
Spoiler
the number 3 to the Triple Crown
?
BobF

Post by BobF »

I just went to pro-football-reference.com to see if Jim Otto kicked a field goal during the 1973 season. That's not the answer either.

Okay, here's a slightly less wild guess, but nonetheless still wild:
Spoiler
Jeff Torborg tied a record by catching his 3rd no-hitter in 1973
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Scoreboard Puzzle:
Spoiler
19-73
00-03
Spoiler
How might you connect
Spoiler
the number 3 to the Triple Crown
?
Spoiler
Secretariat's Triple Crown
was the only thing I could think of for this, but I am a huge horse racing fan and anything that reminds me about
Spoiler
Secretariat
pretty much blocks everything else out of my mind.

However, since 11 other horses have also won Triple Crowns and they could have the same scoreboard with different years for each of them, I'm guessing they were looking for something else.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That horse was also a clue in the game.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Tough episode. I only had 11,000 (17/3). Got the missed Belmont DD though, which was overvalued. He's probably the most famous jockey of all time. I answered parallel bars on Final even though I was 90% sure it was wrong.
The scoreboard puzzle has to be Secretariat. Were there any significant baseball, football, or hockey games in 1973 that ended 3-0?
Hoping for a third lap
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

sarisson wrote:Tough episode. I only had 11,000 (17/3). Got the missed Belmont DD though, which was overvalued. He's probably the most famous jockey of all time. I answered parallel bars on Final even though I was 90% sure it was wrong.
The scoreboard puzzle has to be Secretariat. Were there any significant baseball, football, or hockey games in 1973 that ended 3-0?
Nolan Ryan's first no hitter was a 3-0 game in '73...but...yeah...I can't imagine that being what they were intending.
Seriously, they need to give like a sport or put a 'memento' on the board or something to tie these a little better.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
sarisson wrote:Tough episode. I only had 11,000 (17/3). Got the missed Belmont DD though, which was overvalued. He's probably the most famous jockey of all time. I answered parallel bars on Final even though I was 90% sure it was wrong.
Nolan Ryan's first no hitter was a 3-0 game in '73...but...yeah...I can't imagine that being what they were intending.
Seriously, they need to give like a sport or put a 'memento' on the board or something to tie these a little better.
The web site or Facebook page or somewhere should give the official answer a week later. Not that most viewers care at all, but for those of us who do play along it would be nice to know the answer instead of being stuck with uncertainty, speculation and guesses.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I think the fact that they put the "score" as 00-03, rather than 03-00 is also significant.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

The disastrous 1973 Indy 500 took three days to run due to crashes, breakdowns, rain, etc. One driver, Swede Savage, died a month later due to injuries from one of the crashes.

The race was not completed, and Gordon Johncock was awarded the win after having run 133 of the 200 laps scheduled, and in the lead when more rain began to fall. So, this is a wild guess at it...

19 73
00 03

1973 for the year, 03 for the days it took to run the race, and maybe 00 for the fact the race was a big fat zero? Or nobody actually finished the race distance? Grasping at straws here...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
I think the fact that they put the "score" as 00-03, rather than 03-00 is also significant.
Significant, but still room for debate. Like symbolism in English class.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

My scoreboard guess was the horse.

I would have probably Clavined on FJ, pretty much no matter what the scores were. Interestingly, when I asked a similar TD question last year, the only 2 apparatuses that went unclaimed were the vault and the floor.
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

I, too, was shocked at the triple stumper for a double eagle. And for a guy that says he's a horse racing degenerate to not know Willie Shoemaker is flabbergasting (is that a word? I guess it is now). I've also been wishing that they don't give such easy Finals that require players to just pick one of three answers to get it. Last episode was like that, too. I knew vault for sure, and then I was stumped pretty good. I knew pommel horse and rings were wrong, but for some reason I can't remember a men's floor exercise. And you'd think I would know trampoline after Dong Dong! I would have said uneven bars if they asked for a second, but I know one does uneven bars and one does parallel bars, I think? Or just the high bar? I have to go look this up.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

8/26: 19,750 (FJ: :mrgreen:)
TerrHeel wrote:I would have said uneven bars if they asked for a second, but I know one does uneven bars and one does parallel bars, I think? Or just the high bar? I have to go look this up.
The men have parallel bars and the high bar.