Sports Jeopardy! EP. 52 (9-16-15) [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! EP. 52 (9-16-15) [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BASEBALL GREATS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With .338 this man recorded the highest career batting average of any player who started in MLB after 1939

Nate Marks: 9500-1212=8288 (+22500) = 30788 = $25,000
Steve Greene: 6000+6000=12000 (+1945) = 13945 = $10,000
Justin Shibilski: 27000+0=27000 (22500) = 49500 = $50,000

Correct Response:
Spoiler
Tony Gwynn (Justin had "Gwynn!") (Nate had "Shannon, Eli, AJ, Refrigerator, Mom & Pop Love U!"
Scoreboard Puzzle:
Spoiler
19-72
33-0
Hint 1:
Spoiler
"West" Coast bias
Hint 2:
Spoiler
NBA
Hint 3:
Spoiler
streak
Scoreboard Answer:
Spoiler
The Lakers won 33 in a row during the 1971-72 season.
Justin played all the DDs: (1250+1250, 7250+7250, 21500+4000)

The 2nd season was announced to start next week on Sept. 23rd and it sounded like the champ gets to return to play again.

During the game a clue had Pete Rose as a correct response, so I took that as a hint not to guess him. I wrote Tony Gwynn and stuck with that response. George Brett and Rod Carew occurred to me, but not as better guesses to consider a switch.

In the audience I spotted a couple of boardies:

Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Re: Sports Jeopardy! EP. 52 (9-16-15) [Spoilers]

Post by Spiny Norman »

MarkBarrett wrote:FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY

Two people to Kelly's left is Justin's dad. Don't think he is a boardie. But I am to the left of Mr. Shibilski. And Hans to my left must be a boardie, although I don't know his user name.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Spiny Norman wrote:And Hans to my left must be a boardie, although I don't know his user name.
Hanzz
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

That was a pretty great championship. I purposely waited to watch last week's so I could watch both together. Loved the first Final Jeopardy clue, though I got it wrong with Atlanta. I never really got thinking west.

Justin definitely earned the title with an awesome performance in the last Double Jeopardy. All three guys seemed to be having a good time, too, which made for good TV.

I also watched the promo for season 2, and it says there are new rules, and champs get to return! Man oh man how I wish that was the case when I was playing. Also, it would have to give someone pause when trying to True Daily Double everything to get in the finals, but I'm assuming that part of the rules changes will be similar to how Jeopardy does its TOC, with the most victories/total points mattering more than any single game score.
TomSegi
Contributor

Post by TomSegi »

Of particular interest to me is to see how many (if any) season 2 contestants come from the auditions held prior to the first season. Would love to get that call!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Spiny Norman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY

Two people to Kelly's left is Justin's dad. Don't think he is a boardie. But I am to the left of Mr. Shibilski. And Hans to my left must be a boardie, although I don't know his user name.
Yes, you and Hans were the two I spotted and that I knew have posted here.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Justin on becoming the Grand Champion! Out of 150 players, being #1 is quite an accomplishment. I hope he tries out for regular Jeopardy sometime. He might do well on there, too. Nate, too.

Steve Greene is the same guy who appeared on the College Championship a few years back, I believe. Dan McShane, Betsy Schroeder, Kate Waits, Cora Peck, Claudia Perry, Deepak Tamasker, and a few others also appeared on both shows. It was cool seeing them.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Fun game to watch. It was close there for awhile, and then after the first DD in DJ, Justin pulled away.

The FJ clue was similar to a question for me recently in some trivia quiz. I got it wrong (guessed George Brett) in that case, so I got it right this time.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Justin had no business going all-in on that DD... but he did, it paid off, and he's the champ because of it. Congrats to him!

And so, season one is in the books. I still can't believe that after years of it being a crazy dream in my head, Sports Jeopardy is actually a thing now. Still hoping that I get that magical call soon. :)

9/16: 15,750 (FJ: :()
TerrHeel wrote:and champs get to return!
OMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGMGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GETS ME EVEN MORE PUMPED OMG
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Finally got to see the final game. Good move by Justin going all in on the first two DDs to put it away.

FJ was a bit anti-climatic, as Justin had a lock for the title and Nate was locked into second even if he lost everything.

I like that champs get to return for Season 2, though I wonder how the TOC will work. If it is like this year with 50 games and then the top three in the finals, if one or two go on big runs, that will wipe out a lot of players, it would be funny if a one day champ made it. (I have not watched any of the S@ games yet).

I warmed up to Dan as the season went on, but would want him taking Alex's job. The one day a week set-up makes it hard to really get into the show, but maybe having returning champs will help with the continuity.