Jeopardy alum on TPIR?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy alum on TPIR?

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Just remembered that Tom Conn was on TPIR around 1998 (I think) and he was also on Wheel of Fortune (a Teen Week on the NBC daytime version) in Dec. 1986.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8026
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
JayK33 wrote:Since we all know that there have been many Jeopardy contestants on WWTBAM (both pre-J! and post-J!), and some on WOF, I'm wondering how many we know of that appeared on The Price is Right? The only one I can think of is Josh Woo, who was on J! Kids Week on season 20. I think he won his TPIR episode.
Rebecca Dixon was in Contestant's Row as well as slayed The Beast: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6651
Sorry to bump an old thread to reply to an old post, but having actually seen some of the US Chase recently, it should also be noted that Raj Dhuwalia, a 1-time champ back in Season 19, actually managed to defeat The Beast as a soloist in the end. He won around $125,000. The archive doesn't make any mention of this yet, but it could be added.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1974

I've also seen Jay Rhee's episode, where he also won against The Beast in a team of two or three.
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
WooWho? wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I also believe you are responsible for getting the prize to your house and even if you win a car, you have to get it from LA to your house. You can't go pick it up at your local dealership.
Not true. This contestant dealt with a car dealer in LA, who shipped the car to her hometown and she was able to pick it up from there.

They're actually pretty accommodating with arranging prize delivery--I remember when I won my TV and chair on the show, I made arrangements with the prize retailers to have them delivered to my freshman dorm. Of course, I then had to quickly explain to my roommate (read: provide a really bad cover story) why I was getting a 46" TV delivered first thing in the morning a week and a half before my show aired.
Not sure if TPIR does it, but I remember the Sullivan Compliance packet I got ca.1999 basically said that if you covered the taxes up front, they would arrange for a dealership local to you to provide the car.
Here's how it worked on J! in 2001: I received a letter from a Chevy dealer in Las Vegas the day after my fifth game aired. A sales rep from that dealership called later that evening. We were allowed to select the colors and some options for the Camaros, which were delivered to the local dealership of our choice about 2 1/2 months later. My only out-of-pocket expense (at the time, for the big IRS bite came the following spring) was paying the equivalent of sales tax in order to register the cars in W.Va. Because the person who cut the J! checks took a long vacation that summer, the cars arrived nearly two months before the prize money.

For years thereafter, the Vegas dealership would mail coupons for discounts on oil changes, front-end realignments, and the like.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:07 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
JayK33 wrote:Since we all know that there have been many Jeopardy contestants on WWTBAM (both pre-J! and post-J!), and some on WOF, I'm wondering how many we know of that appeared on The Price is Right? The only one I can think of is Josh Woo, who was on J! Kids Week on season 20. I think he won his TPIR episode.
Rebecca Dixon was in Contestant's Row as well as slayed The Beast: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6651
Sorry to bump an old thread to reply to an old post, but having actually seen some of the US Chase recently, it should also be noted that Raj Dhuwalia, a 1-time champ back in Season 19, actually managed to defeat The Beast as a soloist in the end. He won around $125,000. The archive doesn't make any mention of this yet, but it could be added.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1974

I've also seen Jay Rhee's episode, where he also won against The Beast in a team of two or three.
Any takers then?

Other former Jeopardy contestants I recognized on the show are Arianna Haut, a College Championship contestant from Kyle Hale's tournament (she was eliminated before the Final Chase) and even though Louis Virtel's win is mentioned in the archive, one of his teammates that he split the win with was one-time Jeopardy contestant Miguel Ruiz.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

Does getting on screen without getting to play count? (Still in my post-J! game show blackout), but the wife and I went to a taping of TPIR back in October. Exceedingly long day. Probably fun enough to give it another go in the future, but only just.

I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!