LLML: Before & After 2 (fall 2015)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: LLML: Before & After 2 (fall 2015)

Post by goatman »

I laughed until I cried this is such a cute pic; been waiting all day to post it! Instaget!!
Christinas_WorldofWarcraft.jpg
Christinas_WorldofWarcraft.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

I seem to be hitting my stride in this mini league after a very rough 0-5 start. It helps that I'm done working the overnight shift and sleeping all day and only having about 30 minutes to think about the day's questions. You definitely needs to chew on these for a while.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

goatman wrote:I laughed until I cried this is such a cute pic; been waiting all day to post it! Instaget!
Every time I see the original picture I think of "Sophie's World" which is a novel from ~20 years ago. It came up in regular LL a while ago and I missed it. This time I realized that Sophie was wrong, but came no closer to Christina.

There are some great questions in this quiz, but a lot are vague and un-pinned in one half. Cluing the assistant director for Magic Mike?
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

boson wrote:There are some great questions in this quiz, but a lot are vague and un-pinned in one half. Cluing the assistant director for Magic Mike?
That was the only one I got yesterday (and still somehow I pulled out a win). But you knew it was a movie between 2011 and 2013, and 'Huckabee' doesn't go with much (yeah, yeah, we all <3 Huckabees), so what other movie ends in 'Mike'?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

boson wrote:
goatman wrote:I laughed until I cried this is such a cute pic; been waiting all day to post it! Instaget!
Every time I see the original picture I think of "Sophie's World" which is a novel from ~20 years ago. It came up in regular LL a while ago and I missed it. This time I realized that Sophie was wrong, but came no closer to Christina.

There are some great questions in this quiz, but a lot are vague and un-pinned in one half. Cluing the assistant director for Magic Mike?
More pointedly, cluing the assistant director on a bunch of Steven Soderbergh movies.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

teapot37 wrote:
boson wrote:

More pointedly, cluing the assistant director on a bunch of Steven Soderbergh movies.
Also, he directed the Magic Mike sequel that came out earlier this year.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

quarterrican wrote:
teapot37 wrote:
boson wrote:

Also, he directed the Magic Mike sequel that came out earlier this year.
Ok - I guess I'm in the minority on this one, and my enjoyment of the minileague as a whole is exaggerating my distaste for a few of the questions. I just think that both halves of the before and after should have a reasonable entry point. If you could get Mike Huckabee, then finding the movie is doable. I didn't get that part, so I was left with a very difficult question to find the first half. I think the first part ("Between the years 2011 and 2013, Gregory Jacobs served as first assistant director for Haywire, Contagion, Side Effects, Behind the Candelabra, and this film") would have a sub 10% get rate on its own. Maybe that's ok, given the entry point from Huckabee.

This isn't sour grapes - I'm in playoff contention for the very first time in a minileague - but a few questions have unreasonably obscure/vague clues for one half of the before and after pair that could do with some extra help. See the number of people who got Match Game, Craig Kilborn, Rue21 instead of the intended answer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Unfortunately, only one former governor of Arkansas was coming to me, and it's the only one that's more famous than Huckabee (or maybe because I'm an 80s kid).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

In case you missed it, he's running for President. Under normal circumstances, this would make him a household name. But with fourteen people in the next Republican debate (including the four at the kids' table), most people would miss it...
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

dhkendall wrote:Unfortunately, only one former governor of Arkansas was coming to me, and it's the only one that's more famous than Huckabee (or maybe because I'm an 80s kid).
The TOM there was "man who served as governor of the Natural State for more than a decade and host of a Fox News program for more than half a decade" so Billary doesn't fit (at all!).
Mike also is a Southern Baptist pastor, so 'preacher and pres candidate who was former gov of Nat'l state' would've been far more recognizable. Fox News is the only GOP-friendly media.
If they included some more widely known tease-out, like "garners 3% of the GOP pres candidate polls in current race for the nomination" probly woulda been a instaget for most folks.
I agree for sure these clues are written extremely obscurely and the TOM are not common, or even uncommon knowledge for most, not so fun. The 'smithed' music mixes are the worst. :x
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

boson wrote:

The second I saw the picture, I wondered if you were going to remember the name this time around. THIS is why spouse matches are so much fun. The breakfast table stare down is something special in a LL match. Too bad we can't get our collective acts together to be in the same rundle.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

boson wrote: I think the first part ("Between the years 2011 and 2013, Gregory Jacobs served as first assistant director for Haywire, Contagion, Side Effects, Behind the Candelabra, and this film") would have a sub 10% get rate on its own. Maybe that's ok, given the entry point from Huckabee.
I mean, part of the fun of B&A (both writing and solving) is that you can ask harder stuff because the other half of the question jogs the solver's memory. I'm specifically thinking of "Aaron Burr Tillstrom" in the Million Dollar Masters tournament; it's one of two mentions of Tillstrom in the whole of J! Archive, and the only archived time a contestant had to name him.

I got an 8(5)-6(5) win today, with my opponent and I missing the same question. Bed Bath and Beyond was easy, but I had a really hard time parsing the rest, and I decided somehow that a podcast being a road to a correct response made it a 3.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote:
boson wrote: I think the first part ("Between the years 2011 and 2013, Gregory Jacobs served as first assistant director for Haywire, Contagion, Side Effects, Behind the Candelabra, and this film") would have a sub 10% get rate on its own. Maybe that's ok, given the entry point from Huckabee.
I mean, part of the fun of B&A (both writing and solving) is that you can ask harder stuff because the other half of the question jogs the solver's memory. I'm specifically thinking of "Aaron Burr Tillstrom" in the Million Dollar Masters tournament; it's one of two mentions of Tillstrom in the whole of J! Archive, and the only archived time a contestant had to name him.

I got an 8(5)-6(5) win today, with my opponent and I missing the same question. Bed Bath and Beyond was easy, but I had a really hard time parsing the rest, and I decided somehow that a podcast being a road to a correct response made it a 3.
"Beyond Belief" was a guess half for me on that one, but one that sounded possible. My miss yesterday was Q6; I think if I could have gotten one I would have had a chance at the other, but I had no ins, so I said "A Doll's House of Mirth", which I don't even know if House of Mirth was a play but it sounded good, so there.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I'm pretty surprised at the low get rate for #6. I would have thought the plot of Streetcar was easily recognizable, and from there it's just "name any other play that fits as a B&A".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:I'm pretty surprised at the low get rate for #6. I would have thought the plot of Streetcar was easily recognizable, and from there it's just "name any other play that fits as a B&A".
Which only works if you've actually heard of Desire Under the Elms (or know anything about the plot of Streetcar, which I do not).
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

econgator wrote:
goforthetie wrote:I'm pretty surprised at the low get rate for #6. I would have thought the plot of Streetcar was easily recognizable, and from there it's just "name any other play that fits as a B&A".
Which only works if you've actually heard of Desire Under the Elms (or know anything about the plot of Streetcar, which I do not).
Fair enough.

Incidentally, check out the $800 clue in DJ: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2901
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

French Stewart Copeland is one of my favorites. Not insanely difficult but takes a decent amount of brain work to get there.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:
econgator wrote:
Fair enough.

Incidentally, check out the $800 clue in DJ: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2901
I would have gotten that Streetcar half from that (I basically know Stanley Kowalski, Blanche DuBois, Stella!!!!, and Tennessee Williams).
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

schoe wrote:
sherder wrote:
schoe wrote:Group 57 here.
See you on MD6.
9(6) - I tip my hat to you. :)
Thanks - I finally feel like I have found a groove with this ML, and luck with guessing definitely helps.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I was in the lead in my group Wednesday, but lost to the second-place guy 6(5)-9(6) [good time to pull his first beer], then slipped to third. Then I had to play the NEW second-place guy and salvaged a 7(4)-7(5) draw. I'm now tied for second with him but he's +11 on MPD so I might need some help over these last three days…
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.