heelsrule1988/sherder Sports Jeopardy Training Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: heelsrule1988/sherder Sports Jeopardy Training Thread

Post by mfc248 »

AWARDS & HONORS

An NHL award originally named for him was renamed in 2010; for now, he still has his Nobel Peace Prize

Correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Lester B. Pearson? (The award, presented to the NHL's most outstanding player as voted by the players, was renamed the Ted Lindsay Award.)
Vinny V
Contributor

Re: heelsrule1988 Sports Jeopardy Training Thread

Post by Vinny V »

sherder wrote:Time to out myself: I get to play Sports Jeopardy! in a few weeks. I needed some time to stop hyperventilating and put a study plan in place. Thanks to DoT for getting the ball rolling on questions. Mark, I will find Stump the Schwab on YouTube, although I have a feeling it will make me more anxious. I'm currently hoping that I won't see Vinny there. I love watching Vinny, but he would wipe the floor with me.

The good news is that I feel like my strengths are in what are hopefully less common areas: NASCAR, horse racing, Olympics and the like. However, I have huge gaps to fill in college football, the NBA, and recent events. I think being a parent of a child with a sleep disorder means I have a hard time remembering recent sports. I remember lots of stuff from the 80s and early 90s. I've been playing Sporcle quizzes for things I would like to commit to memory, and I've started a notebook of general timelines for different sports and names I should recognize or know just enough about to get the TOM.

I appreciate any help I would get. Also, if any of you would like to see the taping, it's the second week of February. My husband can't come, and I can bring 6 guests.

Thanks to DoT and heels for keeping my secret for a few days.
I remember seeing this post a few weeks back! I guess it's safe for me now to say best of retroactive luck with last week's taping!! And don't doubt yourself, on any given day any player can beat any champ! After all, you know your sports to be a contestant on the show!!
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

jlgarfield wrote:Here is a new FJ! clue:

THE 1990s
On November 19, 1995, the Baltimore Stallions and Calgary Stampeders squared off in the first Grey Cup game held in this Western Canadian city
Spoiler
What is Regina, Saskatchewan?
1987: THE YEAR THAT WAS
250 - In September, this league declared its second strike of the 1980s; however, this strike only lasted several weeks, and used replacement players
500 - Future Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Jerome Brown, asked this at their Fiesta Bowl luncheon between these two colleges: "Did the Japanese go sit down and have dinner with Pearl Harbor before they bombed them?"
750 - The year's World Series, won by the Minnesota Twins, had the distinction of being the first one where this was accomplished
1000 - His chip shot at that year's Masters made him the first Augusta native to win the tournament
Spoiler
Been a while, no one has given answers to the other ones, so they are:
250: What is the NFL?
500: Who are the University of Miami and Penn State?
750: What is the home team winning each game?
1000: Who is Larry Mize?
Here's a new Final J! clue:
THE 500 HOME RUN CLUB
Of all the members of the 500 home run club, he's the only one who hit an HR in his last career at-bat
BobF

Post by BobF »

jlgarfield wrote: Here's a new Final J! clue:
THE 500 HOME RUN CLUB
Of all the members of the 500 home run club, he's the only one who hit an HR in his last career at-bat
Was it
Spoiler
The great Bambino, the sultan of swat, George Herman Ruth?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jlgarfield wrote: Here's a new Final J! clue:
THE 500 HOME RUN CLUB
Spoiler
Who is Ted Williams?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ Why, yes! :D
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

I just received an invite to be on Sports Jeopardy!. I've read this thread; thank you to all who've contributed to it. Any advice or last-minute questions/answers would also be most appreciated. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Peachbox wrote:I just received an invite to be on Sports Jeopardy!. I've read this thread; thank you to all who've contributed to it. Any advice or last-minute questions/answers would also be most appreciated. :)
Congrats and thanks for sharing the good news.

I read one the other day that two pitchers matched their age with the number of batters they struck out in a single game.
Spoiler
Bob Feller 17 Ks at the age of 17 in 1936 and Kerry Wood was 20 when he matched his age in 1998.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

It appears that the episodes since Vinny left have been rewarding breadth of knowledge more than the depth of niche areas like they had previously. Maybe this is just an outlying trend and they'll go back to asking deeper stuff about specific teams, but the advice I would've given a contestant in season 1 or season 2 through Vinny's run would be, "deepen the knowledge in the areas you know and hope they come up", while the advice I would give to you is "shore up the weaker areas in your sports knowledge through sports almanacs, sports-reference.com, or Wikipedia."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Peachbox wrote:I just received an invite to be on Sports Jeopardy!. I've read this thread; thank you to all who've contributed to it. Any advice or last-minute questions/answers would also be most appreciated. :)
Congrats and good luck!!!!!!!
arekp01
Contributor

Post by arekp01 »

Super late on this, but had a fun idea...

MLB First to First: "Name the #1 overall MLB Draft pick who would go on to win a World Series with the drafting team"

5: A rookie on the Braves' 1995 championship team, he would man the hot corner for the next 17 seasons in Atlanta.

10: AKA "The Bat", he hit 33 homers for the 2008 Phillies before hitting free agency that winter.

15: He's the most recent #1 pick (and only pitcher) to accomplish the feat: coming out of the bullpen for the 2015 Royals.

20: At Nebraska, he won a national championship as a punter for the football team. In Anaheim, he booted very few balls in center field for the 2002 Angels.
Spoiler
Chipper Jones
Pat Burrell
Luke Hochevar
Darin Erstad
BobF

Post by BobF »

arekp01 wrote:Super late on this, but had a fun idea...

MLB First to First: "Name the #1 overall MLB Draft pick who would go on to win a World Series with the drafting team"

5: A rookie on the Braves' 1995 championship team, he would man the hot corner for the next 17 seasons in Atlanta.

10: AKA "The Bat", he hit 33 homers for the 2008 Phillies before hitting free agency that winter.

15: He's the most recent #1 pick (and only pitcher) to accomplish the feat: coming out of the bullpen for the 2015 Royals.

20: At Nebraska, he won a national championship as a punter for the football team. In Anaheim, he booted very few balls in center field for the 2002 Angels.

Except...
Spoiler
Didn't ChipperLarry Jones spend a few seasons in left field?
Pat Burrell
Luke Hochevar
Darin Erstad
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Vinny V
Contributor

Post by Vinny V »

Congrats on the first step. Not sure if your audition already took place, but the main thing to remember is just have fun out there. You probably know the material, so why stress over it? Enjoy the moment and hopefully it works out for you!
Vinny V
Contributor

Post by Vinny V »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:It appears that the episodes since Vinny left have been rewarding breadth of knowledge more than the depth of niche areas like they had previously. Maybe this is just an outlying trend and they'll go back to asking deeper stuff about specific teams, but the advice I would've given a contestant in season 1 or season 2 through Vinny's run would be, "deepen the knowledge in the areas you know and hope they come up", while the advice I would give to you is "shore up the weaker areas in your sports knowledge through sports almanacs, sports-reference.com, or Wikipedia."
Oh wow, that's some deep level insight on the show lol. Resources like Sporcle are great for testing your ability to come up with answers quick. But to be honest, since there's been over 75 episodes of SJ that have aired, you have so much knowledge you can pick up by watching the shows. Binge watch to the max!
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Well, as a big fan of sports trivia, I probably have been thinking about this more than I should, but I've been thinking about how should sports trivia knowledge be divided into categories. Below is what seems to make sense to me. It could give a 30,000 view of the landscape and be a starting point to access strengths/weaknesses. Certainly, each category can be further broken down into sub-categories.

Major Team Sports (50%)
- Baseball
- Football
- Basketball
- Hockey
- Soccer

Everything Else (50%)
- Golf
- Tennis
- Combat Sports
- Olympic Sports
- Motor Sports
- Misc.
- Media/Entertainment
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Some things I read surrounding the retirement of Tim Duncan:

His 19 years with the same NBA team is second only to the 20 Kobe had with the Lakers.
Only Duncan and John Salley won a championship in 3 different decades. (Used on Sports J! already)
Duncan played in 251 playoff games, 2nd only to 259 by Derek Fisher
Duncan, Kareem and Robert Parish are the only 3 with 1,000 regular season wins

As long as nothing changes:

Rickie Fowler, Patrick Reed and Matt Kuchar will be the three golfers representing the U.S. in Rio for the Summer Olympics.
Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas will be the two gymnasts from the Fierce/Fab Five representing the U.S. for a 2nd Olympics

The National League batting title will now be named in honor of Tony Gwynn.
The American League batting title will now be named in honor of Rod Carew.
arekp01
Contributor

Post by arekp01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Rickie Fowler, Patrick Reed and Matt Kuchar will be the three golfers representing the U.S. in Rio for the Summer Olympics.
Pretty sure Bubba Watson is going as well, no? I could see them doing a question along the lines of "Of the four male golfers who represented the USA at the 2016 Summer Olympics, he was the only one to have previously won a major championship". Hoping that changes this weekend though!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

arekp01 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Rickie Fowler, Patrick Reed and Matt Kuchar will be the three golfers representing the U.S. in Rio for the Summer Olympics.
Pretty sure Bubba Watson is going as well, no? I could see them doing a question along the lines of "Of the four male golfers who represented the USA at the 2016 Summer Olympics, he was the only one to have previously won a major championship". Hoping that changes this weekend though!
Yes, Bubba Watson is the 4th. And it's not like I don't know that since I commented in the regular game thread this week about the writers catching a break using a golfer who was still planning to go to Rio.

Thanks for the tap-in and we'll see how the weekend goes for one of the other guys to add a win in a Major to their resume. Of course they have to watch out for Colin Montgomerie on his home course. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The AL award should have been named for Ted Williams.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote:The AL award should have been named for Ted Williams.
He already has the All-Star Game MVP award named after him.