Thursday, October 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, October 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

Linear Gnome wrote:
alietr wrote: Also FTR, that reverse order category was terrible. Just terrible.

Don't get me wrong; I think I ran it. I thought the concept was not worthy of a category.

Agree that this was a dorky category.
Point taken. :D
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

Category 13 wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
alietr wrote: Also FTR, that reverse order category was terrible. Just terrible.

Don't get me wrong; I think I ran it. I thought the concept was not worthy of a category.

Point taken. :D
I suspect that they have a pretty solid idea of how many clues per game, how many categories on average they need to leave a little bit easy to maintain their ratings. If it is always so hard that the average viewer just feels stupid and beaten down from watching it, it isn't sustainable. Categories like that exist for that very good reason.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

JonathanHenke wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:According to wikipedia, Lebanon cedars (cedrus libani) also grow in Israel, Jordan, and Syria -- all countries that have deserts. So the mere fact that Lebanon has a bunch of those famous trees shouldn't necessarily be a reason for inferring that Lebanon has no desert.
Right — I was just suggesting that was what the clue authors were hoping would trigger the right response.
If that's what the writers were going for, I'm not a fan of that approach. They were trying to lead people to guess the correct response for a specious reason.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:Pretty simple rule: if it's on the Arabian peninsula, it's desert. So Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Yemen, UAE -- all out.
Bahrain isn't on the Arabian Peninsula. It's part of that peninsula in the same sense that Malta is part of Europe. I suppose it makes sense that it would share the peninsula's climate. But I figured maybe things weren't so desert-y right along the coast. And since Bahrain is all coast, I figured maybe the desert didn't stand a chance. I didn't consider Lebanon. But if I had, I would've rejected it in favor of Bahrain, just as Mike Zerg did.
Bahrain isn't part of the Arabian peninsula like Long Island isn't part of New York. I ain't taking geography lessons from no waterfowl!
I can't go along with that comparison. The type of land mass in question is irrelevant to a question of political geography. Long Island is part of New York like Hawaii is part of the US. My initial example of Malta:Europe set us on the wrong track in this regard. Bahrain isn't part of the Arabian peninsula in the same way that Nantucket isn't part of Cape Cod. I'll concede though that the existence of the King Fahd Causeway gives Bahrain slightly better glomming rights.

But I still maintain that a peninsula, by definition, is not an island. So the island of Bahrain is not part of the Arabian not-island.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

Bamaman wrote:I thought his DD wager was fine. It was pretty clear this was going to be the end of the round. He could not catch up, but his bet allowed him to break the lock as well as making it a non-crush going into FJ. It also locks out the third place player. His FJ bet, however......

No chance for me on FJ, guessed Jordan. I was also clueless to the mother goat clue.
That was precisely my thought process on the DD. I knew that I needed to make it non-crush but figured much above that didn't make too much difference at that point, and I could at least leave myself a chance for second and a little dignity had I bombed. I was already feeling pretty down on myself at that point for being beaten at the buzzer so much and not ringing in on TSs that I knew. With 1965, I had a sinking feeling it was going to be a music question, and that's not my era for music knowledge at all. And it turned out to be a cupcake.

With final, I had a much smaller wager written down and was just about to push the send button…but I couldn't get past this sinking feeling that Josh was going to do something irrational, like bet zero, especially after seeing what happened in the previous game. Despite my second-guessing error on the response, geography is one of my strongest subjects, so I was fairly confident in getting it right, and getting it right and losing to a zero bet by Josh would have a stung a lot more than going down in a TS because of the wagering (or just falling behind Dana). I made them erase it and wrote down the larger wager.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote:

I liked it. It changed up the rhythm of the game a bit. In a good way, I thought.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:

I liked it. It changed up the rhythm of the game a bit. In a good way, I thought.
I liked it because it was simple outside of the Italian fashion guys.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:Pretty simple rule: if it's on the Arabian peninsula, it's desert. So Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Yemen, UAE -- all out.
Bahrain isn't on the Arabian Peninsula. It's part of that peninsula in the same sense that Malta is part of Europe. I suppose it makes sense that it would share the peninsula's climate. But I figured maybe things weren't so desert-y right along the coast. And since Bahrain is all coast, I figured maybe the desert didn't stand a chance. I didn't consider Lebanon. But if I had, I would've rejected it in favor of Bahrain, just as Mike Zerg did.
Bahrain isn't part of the Arabian peninsula like Long Island isn't part of New York. I ain't taking geography lessons from no waterfowl!
I can't go along with that comparison. The type of land mass in question is irrelevant to a question of political geography. Long Island is part of New York like Hawaii is part of the US. My initial example of Malta:Europe set us on the wrong track in this regard. Bahrain isn't part of the Arabian peninsula in the same way that Nantucket isn't part of Cape Cod. I'll concede though that the existence of the King Fahd Causeway gives Bahrain slightly better glomming rights.

But I still maintain that a peninsula, by definition, is not an island. So the island of Bahrain is not part of the Arabian not-island.
Your comparisons are bewildering. I agree with you that Bahrain is not part of the Arabian Peninsula, but when you equate the relationship between Long Island and New York with the relationship between Hawai'i and The US? You lose my agreement.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Tibet or Goat at $400? And what was with that "Say hi to your mom" thing in the goat clue, too?
In order, Roof of the World, angora, and not a clue.
That might be it. I couldn't picture what could possibly be a "roof of the world", since the only thing I could picture being a literal roof of the world would be, well, the outer layers of the atmosphere. Over-literalism chokes me up again.

Also, I have heard of angora rabbits, but not goats to my knowledge.
I think the "Say 'Hi' to your mother" thing was a reference to a relatively obscure SNL bit from a couple of years ago.
Mark Wahlberg (Andy Samberg) walks around a barnyard setting talking to animals, ending each conversation with that line. Included was a goat. How this made it into a J! clue, I have no idea. I think between this and the "demon-stration" cat, I'm going with the educated guess that the writers were on PCP.
@caknuck
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

41R, 3W
FJ!: Miss (Bahrain)
TS's: flappers, two to tango, rubber plant (I said rubber tree), Hell on Wheels, speaking in tongues
Notable misses: judo (tae kwon do), "My Life on the D-List" (I just said "Life on the D-List"), Gemini (clammed)

I took an instant dislike to Josh! (I like how the J-Archive includes the "!" on his answers.) Too loud, too business casual for a Friday, too overly triumphant in victory, too exclamation pointy. I hope he's more gracious if he wins again today, and that the nerves have worn off a bit.

In FJ!, I instantly thought of Lebanon, but then thought "But they speak Lebanese there..." and moved on.

I liked Michael's interview story, very cool celebrity connection. Poor Dana, your anecdote shouldn't brand you as a crazy cat lady. (I shouldn't talk, mine was about organizing a club to legitimize my drinking habit.)
@caknuck
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

hbomb1947 wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:According to wikipedia, Lebanon cedars (cedrus libani) also grow in Israel, Jordan, and Syria -- all countries that have deserts. So the mere fact that Lebanon has a bunch of those famous trees shouldn't necessarily be a reason for inferring that Lebanon has no desert.
Right — I was just suggesting that was what the clue authors were hoping would trigger the right response.
If that's what the writers were going for, I'm not a fan of that approach. They were trying to lead people to guess the correct response for a specious reason.
The fact that there are other, larger countries that happen to have a certain tree and also have deserts has little bearing on the question of whether one might safely assume that a tiny country that is historically known primarily for being the land of such trees is without desert.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:
The fact that there are other, larger countries that happen to have a certain tree and also have deserts has little bearing on the question of whether one might safely assume that a tiny country that is historically known primarily for being the land of such trees is without desert.
Seconded. Of the countries listed, most of which you know have trees and deserts and one you know has trees but you don't know whether or not it has a desert, your end logic is, "well, that last country must have trees and a desert too." But there's no reason to make that inference at all, in fact, the reverse should be true. Eliminate impossible, whatever's left, that sort of thing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:

I liked it because it was simple outside of the Italian fashion guys.
I guess I didn't like the fact that there wasn't any "value added" by having the names said backwards. I've liked categories such as "Quasi-Related Pairs" (sample from March 18, 2013: A trucker's long trip & cereal grasses made into meal),
Spoiler
What are haul and oats?
and Stupid Answers is clever in its own way, but this struck me as "say two things in the wrong order, ha ha".
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:
Seconded. Of the countries listed, most of which you know have trees and deserts and one you know has trees but you don't know whether or not it has a desert, your end logic is, "well, that last country must have trees and a desert too." But there's no reason to make that inference at all, in fact, the reverse should be true. Eliminate impossible, whatever's left, that sort of thing.
Israel is still a tiny country. (about twice the size of Lebanon). And it's gross hyperbole to say that Lebanon is "historically known primarily for being the land of such trees" (as opposed to, among other things, the land of the Canaanites and the Phoenicians). The point is, it's easy to assume that Lebanon, like other countries in its region, has a desert; an abundance of one type of tree doesn't preclude that. And you thus can't rule out other countries like Qatar or the island of Bahrain just because Lebanon is famous for its cedar trees.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

So, is Jones Beach part of Long Island? I can tell you that no Long Islander would say it is not. And that is quite analagous to Bahrain and the Arabian peninsula. Both are connected by bridge to the other.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: So, is Jones Beach part of Long Island?
That's one of them thar rhetorical questions, right?
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I know I'm joining the conversation about this game late. I've been catching up on the games that accumulated in my TiVo this week.

I came to Lebanon well into the second half of the Think music, but with enough time that I could've written it down, I'm sure. I assumed (luckily, I seem to have been correct) that the physical geography of Lebanon would be pretty much like the physical geography of northern Israel. And I know that northern Israel looks a lot more like Maryland than like Medina. Then "cedars" helped me confirm that Lebanon was the guess I wanted to stick with.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Winchell Factor wrote:I know I'm joining the conversation about this game late. I've been catching up on the games that accumulated in my TiVo this week.
I hope you have a good reason for being behind on watching this week. ;)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:But I still maintain that a peninsula, by definition, is not an island. So the island of Bahrain is not part of the Arabian not-island.
So, is Jones Beach part of Long Island? I can tell you that no Long Islander would say it is not. And that is quite analagous to Bahrain and the Arabian peninsula. Both are connected by bridge to the other.
Jones Beach Island is a different island than the Island called Long Island. But it sounds as though locals use "Long Island" as a synecdoche for Long Island proper and certain nearby islands. That makes sense. If "the Arabian Peninsula" has a similar double meaning then I withdraw my objection.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote:The point is, it's easy to assume that Lebanon, like other countries in its region, has a desert; an abundance of one type of tree doesn't preclude that. And you thus can't rule out other countries like Qatar or the island of Bahrain just because Lebanon is famous for its cedar trees.
No, you can't. That's why you might have to rely on additional knowledge of geography and weather patterns and current events.

Knowing Lebanon is famous for its cedars is a tip in its favors.
Knowing Qatar has 120F summers due to the World Cup controversy is a tip against it.
Knowing Bahrain is a stone's throw away from the eastern edge of Saudi Arabia is a tip against it.

Heaven effing forbid FJs require a little bit of work and a little bit of knowledge to figure out.

Or maybe you'd just prefer if they just gift you the answer if you're not intimately familiar with the fact?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)