Thursday, October 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Thursday, October 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,000
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: present/serpent, Indonesia, Chess Records (DD)
GhostStalker wrote:I guess Sullivan Compliance didn't think it was that much of an advantage for her if they didn't throw out that question, though I dunno if they have access to the contestant interview stories.
If this ever happens, I am really bothered by it. Intentionally biasing the game against a player's perceived strengths? That seems antithetical to any sort of notion of fair play.
Sprinkles are for winners.
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
GhostStalker wrote:I guess Sullivan Compliance didn't think it was that much of an advantage for her if they didn't throw out that question, though I dunno if they have access to the contestant interview stories.
If this ever happens, I am really bothered by it. Intentionally biasing the game against a player's perceived strengths? That seems antithetical to any sort of notion of fair play.
Well, I remember Maggie telling us in the contestant Green Room that the writers make up boards for 6 games every taping day, and a lawyer from Sullivan comes over and throws one of them out prior to taping, as a random anti-cheating measure. They'd probably do that with individual clues or categories, maybe even FJ, as well if they thought it gave someone too much of an unfair advantage...
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

hbomb1947 wrote:West Virginia here, after considering South Carolina. If only they'd asked that FJ in an episode that aired after my upcoming New Year's trip to Charleston. I'm sure that trip will be full of Baader-Meinhof moments. :)

Alex oversold the difficulty of the Notre-Dame de Paris (or, as it's often called, Hunchback of Notre-Dame) DD. It wasn't that hard.

P.S. Mark Barrett, please make W. Virginia a poll choice on Saturday. :)
Yes, I said WV as well.

Also, I can't be the only one here who said Le Petit Prince.
OCSam
Robsidian89
Contributor

Post by Robsidian89 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Not that in any way I think it will happen: If I am counting correctly, even with only 11 games left before the TOC there is still time to knock out Catherine Hardee, Elliot Yates, and Michael Bilow?
If the last episode to qualify is indeed Friday, November 6th and not earlier, then none are mathematically locked in yet. If the qualifying period ended with three successive 4 day champions (Dennis, and theoretical winners on Tuesday and November 2nd) that all just happened to outearn Catherine & lose their 5th game, all three would be knocked out, but the odds of that are close to nil. Aside from that nightmare scenario, Catherine will be locked in for the TOC when Dennis is defeated, or if he can win 5 games

I'd wager on Elliot being safe at this point, and if Dennis can't replace Michael on the leaderboard, Michael will be in good shape, but there's still time for a 4+ day champion that loses before the cutoff to come around. Paul Glaser eliminated Julie Dunlevy in the last week of the 2007 TOC qualifying period, so it ain't over till it's over.

Dennis is a strong player, and definitely willing to wager big in Final, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to end the week! Though he basically had to wager to cover an all-in wager by Jennifer given her familiarity with the category. Very entertaining and competitive game too
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

GhostStalker wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Well, I remember Maggie telling us in the contestant Green Room that the writers make up boards for 6 games every taping day, and a lawyer from Sullivan comes over and throws one of them out prior to taping, as a random anti-cheating measure. They'd probably do that with individual clues or categories, maybe even FJ, as well if they thought it gave someone too much of an unfair advantage...
I thought the point of Sullivan is that they know nothing about the contestants so they can't intentionally bias the game for OR against anyone. Is that a possible interpretation of what you recall Maggie saying?
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

FireAntsDefense wrote:Secessionville was so named because the planters who founded it wanted to secede from Charleston society. Back then the place was far out of town and more isolated (insulated) than today. It was not named in celebration of the 1860 Ordinance; that's a coincidence.

Interesting to learn! Is Secessionville now part of Charleston? I was in Charleston for the FC Cup and saw Ft. Moultrie afterwards.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

GhostStalker wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I very much doubt it. Whereas the first measure you mention is, as you state, a random measure intended to reduce the possibility of unfair play, the second is the exact opposite. It is directly targeted at reducing a single player's chances of winning the game. The possibility of getting a Clavin board/category/FJ! is just part of the game.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
GhostStalker wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I very much doubt it. Whereas the first measure you mention is, as you state, a random measure intended to reduce the possibility of unfair play, the second is the exact opposite. It is directly targeted at reducing a single player's chances of winning the game. The possibility of getting a Clavin board/category/FJ! is just part of the game.
Interestingly, the last FJ I can remember that directly tied in to what we know was a contestant's ultra-wheelhouse based on their interview segment was this infamous one, but the result, as we all know, was a little different. Even more interestingly, the FJ! category was exactly the same for both games.
MitchO wrote:It's not very noticeable but the southern border of Colorado has some ridges in it.
Discounting the "lines of longitude converging at the poles making CO and WY trapezoids" thing, Wyoming's also has similar jogs in it too like this one in Yellowstone park. I think they were saying that CO *and* MT have four straight lines in their border, which make even less sense! (MT has 5, for starters, ignoring little fluctuations like the above). Very, very strange. Writers must've got into the "HERBS & SPICES" while writing that one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Johnblue wrote:
FireAntsDefense wrote:Secessionville was so named because the planters who founded it wanted to secede from Charleston society. Back then the place was far out of town and more isolated (insulated) than today. It was not named in celebration of the 1860 Ordinance; that's a coincidence.

Interesting to learn! Is Secessionville now part of Charleston? I was in Charleston for the FC Cup and saw Ft. Moultrie afterwards.
I thought Secessionville was part of Hooterville.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

GhostStalker wrote:
grindcore wrote:The category for final? The Civil War! Hey, hello! Oooooh, hello indeed! Boy oh boy, ho ho ho! Hooooooo mama! Good gosh almighty!
Yeah, I've never seen Alex react so much to a Final Jeopardy category reveal before, but I guess the contestant interview bit of one of the challengers about having a huge book collection about the Civil War was coincidental enough for him to say so.
In Kristina Caffrey's third game in season 24, she chatted with Alex about being a Beatles fan, and taking some of her time in L.A. to visit the actual Blue Jay Way. Then the FJ category was BEATLES TUNES, and Alex gave a good deal of reaction to that. (She ended up winning from third place on a sole get.)

(Incidentally, I thought I recalled his remarks appearing above or beneath the category in the Archive, but archive.org's 2008 copy of the game page doesn't have them, so I assume they were never there. I guess I conflated the Archive with a blog post or web page or something that aggregated a bunch of Alex's utterances upon FJ category reveals for maybe a month; they weren't labeled with dates or categories or anything, but the one from this game stuck out like a sore thumb amidst a sea of generic comments.)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

opusthepenguin wrote:
GhostStalker wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I thought the point of Sullivan is that they know nothing about the contestants so they can't intentionally bias the game for OR against anyone. Is that a possible interpretation of what you recall Maggie saying?
That and the fact that (other than the champ) the contestants are randomly selected for each game, independent of what board's going to appear.

Let's face it, sometimes a category is going to appear that'll be in someone's wheelhouse, and sometimes not.

----
Sad juxtaposition -- with the mention of Old Time Radio in DC yesterday, I just heard on NPR that "The Big Broadcast" is having its last show this Sunday due to the illness of the host.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Since Alex knows the clues beforehand, I always thought that he chose a story related to that if possible from the interview choices, just to come up with those serendipitous connections.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

There have been many, many times in the past when a category happens to match a contestant's likely strengths (sometimes revealed by the interview portion, but sometimes just by his or her profession). Alex usually does not call attention to it, especially with such enthusiasm, but I think he is a bit more loosey-goosey these days than he used to be.
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

dhkendall wrote: Discounting the "lines of longitude converging at the poles making CO and WY trapezoids" thing
Which isn't relevant anyway because the clue just said four straight lines, not that it was a rectangle.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Philip was adding an "Alex" after every clue selection, but he stopped it in DJ or at least toned it down. Wondered if he just stopped or if someone talked to him during he break.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Discounting the "lines of longitude converging at the poles making CO and WY trapezoids" thing, Wyoming's also has similar jogs in it too like this one in Yellowstone park. I think they were saying that CO *and* MT have four straight lines in their border, which make even less sense!
It's that the border with this state and Montana along with the border between this state and Colorado are straight lines.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Sad juxtaposition -- with the mention of Old Time Radio in DC yesterday, I just heard on NPR that "The Big Broadcast" is having its last show this Sunday due to the illness of the host.
Actually, the show will continue, but the host is retiring. For many years, that host, Ed Walker, partnered with Today Show weatherman for a radio show that combined news, weather, traffic and music with comedy sketches like Bob and Ray did.

Our high school had an unusual tradition called Convocation where the sophomores and juniors (it held only three years) gathered in the gym to watch the seniors march in in their caps and gowns, listen to speeches, including one by some slightly famous person. The usual graduation had the reading of names, anybody could show up, more speeches, but not by anyone famous. Our Convocation speaker was the aforementioned host Ed Walker. And Ed Walker has been blind since birth, so he didn't have to see what an ugly bunch we were.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
GhostStalker wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I agree. There's no way in hell they'd do that. That would be extremely unfair. I actually thought the questions were sealed and the compliance person randomly threw one set out. They certainly aren't scrutinizing the questions first beforehand. That would be too much of an opening for potential fraud. You might get lucky and get a board that plays to your strengths or you might not. That's how it works.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

silverscreentest wrote:Our Convocation speaker was the aforementioned host Ed Walker. And Ed Walker has been blind since birth, so he didn't have to see what an ugly bunch we were.
I'm sure one sniff told him more than enough. :D
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

Johnblue wrote:

Legally, part is and part isn't, but it pretty much is. It's closer to Folly Beach (on the other side of the harbor from Moultrie) than the peninsula, though.