Monday, October 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, October 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Robert K S »

I guess I don't really follow you, Opus, but that's okay. I've always thought "motive" was that which impels one to act, i.e., that which motivates, and not a beneficial goal to be achieved. (Else, murder would hardly ever have a motive.)

Google brings up the source you are possibly referring to, but it doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't seem to itself demonstrate that Coleridge was confusing motive and objective.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Magna wrote:
JyV92 wrote:Poor guy. Maybe he'll post here.
It's not really his fault.
In this case I think it is. His look was calculated.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:I guess I don't really follow you, Opus, but that's okay. I've always thought "motive" was that which impels one to act, i.e., that which motivates, and not a beneficial goal to be achieved. (Else, murder would hardly ever have a motive.)

Google brings up the source you are possibly referring to, but it doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't seem to itself demonstrate that Coleridge was confusing motive and objective.
I wouldn't say he was confusing the two. I'd say he was using the word differently than we would. That happens a lot with people writing 200 years ago. It can lead to fun misunderstandings.

I did use the URL you cite as one of my sources, but only to read the quotes by Coleridge. The explanation provided on that page seems incorrect and almost nonsensical to me.