Monday, October 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Monday, October 26, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

Leaper wrote:
davey wrote:...Also irritating that Tom, when given three blanks also enunciated by Alex, says "then beggars would ride..."
Yeah, I noticed that too.
It seemed to me that he cut the "then" short and continued on with the rest of the response: "What is 'th_' 'beggars would ride'?"

It have been clearer if he'd started over: "What is 'th_'... What is 'beggars would ride'?"
OCSam
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

hbomb1947 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Labs was completely YEKIOYD.
It's more like you have to know some physics, except for the $200 dollar clue. What's a place in New Jersey beginning with the letter "P" that might have something to do with physics?
I miscounted the P's and didn't realize that one of them was supposed to stand for the city. And then I doubt I would have come up with a P city in NJ in time.
"P" aside, there are so many New Jersey cities that are associated with famous physicists . . .
I was going to make a bad joke about Piscataway and fluid dynamics, but it turns out that it does indeed have educational and research facilities, mainly due to its proximity to Rutgers, whose main campus "spills into the township", per Wikipedia.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
It's more like you have to know some physics, except for the $200 dollar clue. What's a place in New Jersey beginning with the letter "P" that might have something to do with physics?
I miscounted the P's and didn't realize that one of them was supposed to stand for the city. And then I doubt I would have come up with a P city in NJ in time.
"P" aside, there are so many New Jersey cities that are associated with famous physicists . . .
Princeton = physicists is a new TOM to me.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
Princeton = physicists is a new TOM to me.
Albert Einstein quite famously worked at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton from when he emigrated from Germany in the early 30s until his death in the mid-50s.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I've heard of "exit, pursued by a bear" on TV Tropes but apparently never came across the Trope Namer part.
You're thinking of Snagglepuss and Yogi.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I've heard of "exit, pursued by a bear" on TV Tropes but apparently never came across the Trope Namer part.
You're thinking of Snagglepuss and Yogi.
He *is* smarter than the average bear.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

The internet's thriving soft news industry does it again ... E! Online has decided that Tom was Zoolander:

http://www.eonline.com/news/710544/this ... t-loved-it
brick

Post by brick »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Leaper wrote:
davey wrote:...Also irritating that Tom, when given three blanks also enunciated by Alex, says "then beggars would ride..."
It seemed to me that he cut the "then" short and continued on with the rest of the response: "What is 'th_' 'beggars would ride'?"

It have been clearer if he'd started over: "What is 'th_'... What is 'beggars would ride'?"
I thought I heard "that" not then. Which makes it more ok in my head for reasons I can't seem to tease out.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

MitchO wrote:The internet's thriving soft news industry does it again ... E! Online has decided that Tom was Zoolander:

http://www.eonline.com/news/710544/this ... t-loved-it
Tom is HuffPo's favorite new Jeopardy contestant:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom ... 92&ref=yfp
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Poor guy. Maybe he'll post here.

It's nice to be noticed but he didn't go onto the show to score modeling gigs.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Took a quick glance at both of those articles. That's 15 seconds of my life I'll never get back.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Bamaman wrote:Took a quick glance at both of those articles. That's 15 seconds of my life I'll never get back.
allow me to add to your misery: http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-in ... id=DELLDHP
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

sarisson wrote: My first thought was Ghostbusters.
Mine too. I linked the "buster" in blockbuster with "appropriately" and thought I had the TOM.

I got the cassette tape of Thriller for my birthday in 1983, so I knew that wasn't it.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

42R toyed with Thriller but "appropriate" led to Born. LT: King Tut's tomb 1922; missed DD on Titus Andronicus; KARA ZOR-EL !!! Woot what a show! My new FAV! :D
Melissa Benoit pre-calling for next related clue! :!:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

JyV92 wrote:Poor guy. Maybe he'll post here.
It's not really his fault. Bloggers and tweeters temporarily obsess over mannerisms all the time. Women especially have their appearances critiqued mercilessly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goatman wrote:42R toyed with Thriller but "appropriate" led to Born. LT: King Tut's tomb 1922; missed DD on Titus Andronicus; KARA ZOR-EL !!! Woot what a show! My new FAV! :D
Melissa Benoit pre-calling for next related clue! :!:
Neg for omitting the S
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Would "upper leg" have been accepted for "thigh"?

Thought "Titus Andronicus" was overvalued. Shakespeare + people being baked into a pie = should be obvious.

The Looney Tunes category confused me, because I seemed to recall that that had been a category already in the last several days. Then it hit me that no, it was last week's "Ask Me Another" where I heard it.
davey

Post by davey »

brick wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
Leaper wrote:

I thought I heard "that" not then. Which makes it more ok in my head for reasons I can't seem to tease out.
Nope. Just listened again. He said "then...," no hesitation. Closed captioner agrees. And that is how the proverb usually goes. Luckily for him the category wasn't Fill in the Blanks...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Nobody has yet mentioned that SHAKESPEARE $800 seemed to be an answer to the 2006-05-10 FJ!:

#7156, aired 2015-10-26 SHAKESPEARE $800: He was passed over for promotion in favor of Cassio, giving him a motive for revenge

#4998, aired 2006-05-10 CHARACTERS IN SHAKESPEARE: Poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge referred to the "motiveless malignity" of this character
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:Nobody has yet mentioned that SHAKESPEARE $800 seemed to be an answer to the 2006-05-10 FJ!:

#7156, aired 2015-10-26 SHAKESPEARE $800: He was passed over for promotion in favor of Cassio, giving him a motive for revenge

#4998, aired 2006-05-10 CHARACTERS IN SHAKESPEARE: Poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge referred to the "motiveless malignity" of this character
Fascinating! Nice catch. On looking into this a bit, I think Coleridge meant something different by the word "motive". I'm not sure, but I think he would have said that being passed over for promotion gave Iago the impulse for revenge. The "motive," on the other hand, would be the goal he hoped to achieve. (And I think in Coleridge's mind, this goal should be in itself a good thing.) Thus, Coleridge speaks of Iago "now assigning one, and then another, and again a third, motive for his conduct, all alike the mere fictions of his own restless nature". In other words, he's not pursuing some good end by a bad means. He's "motiveless". He's malign because he's malign.